BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had success replacing battery. Have 2 keys both have died. Based on age of X5 a lot of people must be confronted with this!

·
Registered
12,234 Posts
How do you know that they are dead? Only asking because it is a common assumption that is usually 99% incorrect. If you haven't cracked the remotes open and checked the voltage of the battery soldered to the IC board to see if it is below 2.3v...then you may be barking up the wrong tree. :)

What are the issues you're having with the remotes? No start condition? No lock/unlock & arm/disarm condition? Have you tried reinitializing the remotes? Have you tried charging the keys while in the ignition (in position 1) & using a battery charger hooked up to the jump start terminals in the engine bay overnight?

Only throwing in the "have-you-tried" stuff because there's no back story...so I'm just throwing darts at the board to perhaps hit something close to what the issue may be and to what attempts you may have already crossed off your list.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It’s a battery issue

Lock and unlock issue. 1key stop about a year ago the other one worked fine till about a month ago. You had to get closer and closer to have it work. If you drive car a long distance when you stop it will let you lock but when you come back in an hour it stops working. All signs of weak battery non charging batteries

Back to the question as anyone been successful getting key open and changing battery? Concerned aBout destroying the drive away security and making the key useless.Anyone been successful with the battery charger idea you mentioned.

·
Registered
12,234 Posts
Back to the question as anyone been successful getting key open and changing battery? Concerned aBout destroying the drive away security and making the key useless.Anyone been successful with the battery charger idea you mentioned.
Since this type of key has been around for 19 years (since 9/99-2006) and was used on EIGHT different BMW models (e38/e39/e46/e52/e53/e83/e85/e86)...a simple google search will have you tripping over DIYs and videos on how to crack open this type of key...as well as the horror stories where capacitors/resistors/etc have been knocked off/damaged trying to open the key as well as the soldered traces and antenna (on the remotes internal IC board) being scratched/cut, as well. :yikes:

I would still encourage you to hold off until you can truly determine that the batteries inside your remotes are actually discharged. There are places that have equipment that can test if a signal is being sent.

What if the issue is not the key but on the car side of things. Your remotes could be transmitting the 315 MHz RF signal, but the aerial (in the left rear cargo window) may not be picking up the signal...or the amp/receiver located in the center of the rear tailgate area may be the culprit...or could even be your GM (the major control module that is responsible for sending the commands to the FZV (central locking) system and DWA (anti-theft alarm siren) system.

As mentioned above...there are some simple diagnostics/deductions that should be considered before blaming the issue entirely on the remote keys.

Good luck in what ever you decide to do. :thumbup:

{FZV (central locking) antennas is located in left rear cargo area glass on the SAVs & Tourings}

{FZV amp/receiver for the SAVs is located in the upper center area of the tailgate}

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for comments

I was hoping to hear experience ofsome X5 owners who changed the batteries. What to do and not and what to watch out for.

·
Registered
12,234 Posts
Again, 7 other bmw models use the same key and they all are designed the same way & operate the same way...and are opened the same way.

The 1st link shows the kind of damage that can occur...also offers repair service. The 2nd link gives written DIY instructions and video instructions for 3 different types of bmw remotes...scroll down to the rechargeable remote instructions which is the type you have:

·
Registered
15,210 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Try this first.

Get a "FUEL iON Charge Pad - Magnetic Wireless Charging System For iPhone 5/5s, Galaxy S4, S5, Note 3 - FUEL iON Magnetic Case Required" off Amazon (about $8.00).

Lay your key on this pad overnight and your battery will likely be working in the morning.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I was hoping to hear experience ofsome X5 owners who changed the batteries. What to do and not and what to watch out for.

My diamond key had to be repeatedly reprogrammed/synced to my X5 so I finally bought a replacement rechargeable battery and cracked open the key then heated the solder to remove the battery and solder in the new battery.

All the DIYs about soldering the battery were right, something I found that wasn't in any DIY was resealing the key with black 'Sugru' to fill in any scratches and gaps, and it is practically invisible and watertight when set.

01 e53 4.4

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

1 - 9 of 9 Posts