Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone left a BMW key fob on my front porch will I was not at home. No note or anything. I presume they thought it belonged to one of our BMWs but it wasn't. I asked my neighbors who owned BMWs and it's not theirs either. We posted the key fob looking for owner on the Facebook group for our community and didn't hear from anyone. The key fob looks just like the one for the X5 that we have so the question is, since we couldn't find the owner, can I re-program it to work with my X5? I know the valet parking part would not be usable on my SUV but that it's not something that I used anyway.

Thoughts?

Thank you.

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
Someone left a BMW key fob on my front porch will I was not at home. No note or anything. I presume they thought it belonged to one of our BMWs but it wasn't. I asked my neighbors who owned BMWs and it's not theirs either. We posted the key fob looking for owner on the Facebook group for our community and didn't hear from anyone. The key fob looks just like the one for the X5 that we have so the question is, since we couldn't find the owner, can I re-program it to work with my X5? I know the valet parking part would not be usable on my SUV but that it's not something that I used anyway.

Thoughts?

Thank you.
Your authorized BMW dealer can identify the fob's "owner". I'm sure they'd like to get it back instead of shelling out $$$$$$ for a replacement!

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,145 Posts
No...you can’t reuse that remote without major work. These remotes perform multiple tasks and are encrypted with specific data that only communicates with control modules that were encrypted with the same code as the vehicle came off the assembly line.

The starting/immobilizing function of the remote is encrypted with a write-once transponder or chip...so to get that remote to start your BMW would require retrieving that encrypted ISN (individual serial number) from the modules that require it to communicate with your remote fob to start the vehicle.

Then there is the encrypted data that is used for central locking and arming/disarming the alarm siren system. And if you have CA (comfort access)...that system also has specific encrypted data that is sent to the aerials for CA to lock/unlocking your car when the remote and CA door handles etc come into close vicinity.

So unless you have the equipment and software/hardware to retrieve the encrypted data then write that info to a new transponder inside the remote...and then code the remote to enable CA and communication with the CAS/BDC/JBE and possible other modules depending on your BMW’s build date and option packages...trying to get that remote to work with your BMW is pretty bleak.

BTW, a BMW dealership will not be able to help you get it to work either...they don’t have the equipment to do so. If you get a new remote from them...they rely on the data they keep that was saved as your BMW came off the assembly line. They will retrieve that data, and write that to a new remote and if ordered...cut a new blade for the internal emergency key (again based on your VIN)...then send it to your dealer to sell to you.

That was a good suggestion to take the remote to a local BMW dealership and have them retrieve the data it will reveal...and hopefully they would continue to do a good deed and contact the owner so that it can be returned to them. (y)

Reactions: luigi524td
1 - 3 of 3 Posts