BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 535. Is there a way to transfer the memory settings from the primary key fob I've been using to the backup I've never used....How long should I expect the battery to last in the primary fob?

· Registered
15 Posts
Good question. I'd like to know as well.

· Registered
2021 M340i
94 Posts
I'm not positive, but I think the settings are stored in the metal key part that goes into the fob. I just got a new fob and just slid in the metal key portion and the settings were there. I did not have to do any programming.

Perhaps the fob comes preprogrammed with certain functionality from BMW or the dealer? I will have to follow this as well to see if there is a more definitive answer.

· Registered
1,946 Posts
The settings are stored in the car computer modules and just recalled when a specific key is recognized. There is some car info stored on the keys but not all the user specific settings.

Key 1, Key 2, Key, Key 4

If one gets a new key and it set as Key 1 then it will get the Key 1 settings stored in the car

The metal key is a metal key.

· Registered
1,946 Posts
Unless you have comfort access you don't have a removable battery. It is charged by leaving it in the ignition slot.

If you do have CA it doesn't take a video to learn how to open it. Pull out the metal key and pry up on the slot to lift the cover open.

· Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Unless you have comfort access you don't have a removable battery. It is charged by leaving it in the ignition slot.

If you do have CA it doesn't take a video to learn how to open it. Pull out the metal key and pry up on the slot to lift the cover open.
I do have comfort access, I did try and pry it open, no luck. I am "challenged" in these types of things. Thanks- a quick trip to the dealer will do it.

· Registered
727 Posts
To answer the OP question, the replacement battery should last about two years minimum. If still under OEM warranty the battery is covered. Once replaced it is covered for an additional two years. Replace batteries in both fobs at the same time so you are assured they will both work. If you want both fobs to work the same way you can use the one you want then 'uncheck' the 'last seat position'. After that both fobs will work the same just because the car won't recognize either one. I did this with my fob then unchecked and my wife's fob never changed anything again. I did it to eliminate the dreaded 'mirror creep' that can occur with the passenger side mirror slowly changing position.
I also agree the metal key is simply a metal key and nothing more.

· Registered
58 Posts
Hi Volfrus,

When I clicked on the link a window came up with a Dropbox 404 error message. I am curious how to replace the battery since I will have a e60 at some point over the next couple of months.

Thank you,
John

· Registered
5 Posts
Another key fob question

We have a 2010 535i w/o the comfort access option. I cannot program both sets of keys to remember the settings for my wife and I. Reading the manual is confusing at best the way they have you go from one page to another. I contacted the dealer today and was told that after setting the seats, wheel, rear view mirrors etc that I should push the M button and then #1, exit the vehicle and lock the door. I was told that enters the settings into the memory, didn't work. A subsequent email from the dealer said the seats are not programmable into the key and that you need to push either #1 or #2 on the seat (seems to be in conflict to the owners manual). Can someone please help with what should be an easy thing to do?

· Registered
5 Posts
Key FOB Question

Thanks volfrus, that's the way it should work, ours does not. The only function the fob will "remember" is the radio station we each use. So what I am looking for is some help from someone that may have experienced the same difficulty (let's call it loss of memory) and how they overcame it and got both fobs working properly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.