Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 2011 328i coupe with CA from used car dealer. Beat up looking key fob would start car when placed in dash but would not work on door locks. Was told buy salesman it needed a new battery, no big deal right? He gave me a number of a lock smith to make a new key. The locksmith plugged his computer into the OBD port, got some info and removed the CAS. He took it to his van, took the cover off did something to the board and made a new key. Repaired old key with new fob case also. Both keys start car but dont operated door locks. Manual button on dash operates locks. He told me later he didnt know the car had CA. Anyway its been to the dealer and 2 Indys. Replaced the diversity module, wich they said was bad with a used unit, which they say is good. They now say it needs a new CAS which comes with a key and programing for about 1250$. Could the the locksmith have ruined the CAS or maybe was it ruined from the previous non CA fob that came with the car?
Is there anyone that can repair the Module or should I just go for the new unit?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
The locksmith might have caused more grief for you by doing what he did...OTOH the CAS might have had issues before he did anything! Let me describe what ordinarily happens:

1. Your car's CAS normally comes from the BMW factory with 10 key ID codes burned into the CAS memory.
2. When you order a new key from your dealer, they contact BMW NA, who looks up the 'next key ID' in the sequence and BMW NA burns that key ID into the key and sends it to the dealer.
3. When you come for the new key, the dealer pairs your new key to your car (that activates the new key ID with the car) so it works like a standard key
4. If your car has CA option, the dealer also needs to also program the car with your new key ID so it will support CA features (the CA memory only allows two active CA keys)

Only BMW NA knows the 'next key ID' for your car.
Some locksmiths can alter the programming of the numbers in the key ID memory of the CAS, but that then prevents BMW NA from ever sending you the 'next key ID' in the series, so they will not easily pair to your car's memory!

A botched up CAS can only be replaced, at great cost!

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=903551

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1510527

"I strongly recommend you call this guy in this Video for advise.
he already does what you are trying to do.
he helped me, and tell him I sent you."

Custom DME programing available.

Contact: +1.985.492.0666 call/text or email GcodingBMW AT Gmail.COM
Facebook: www.facebook.com/GcodingBMW

The member of the boards that have used this guy have reported good results.

Most likely everything is misprogrammed.
Or modules and Fobs that have been replaced are mismatched programming wise.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts