BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2011 F10 535 has been having trouble in the heat. During the summer, the car has had trouble recognizing the key. I get the "key not detected" and have to hold the remote by the steering wheel column to get the car to start. I brought it up a couple of times when the car was under warranty and was told that they were either not able to reproduce or they replaced the car battery.

Is it still possible for BMW to replace this for me without charge even though the car is no longer under warranty?

From reading the threads, I now understand that the diversity antenna amplifier is the possible culprit.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Doesn't hurt to ask. Some dealers have a warranty period on work performed. You may still be within that. Or maybe since its on record and unresolved it may still be covered. Or perhaps there's a bulletin out on the amp.

Les

·
Registered
946 Posts
My 2011 F10 535 has been having trouble in the heat. During the summer, the car has had trouble recognizing the key. I get the "key not detected" and have to hold the remote by the steering wheel column to get the car to start. I brought it up a couple of times when the car was under warranty and was told that they were either not able to reproduce or they replaced the car battery.

Is it still possible for BMW to replace this for me without charge even though the car is no longer under warranty?

From reading the threads, I now understand that the diversity antenna amplifier is the possible culprit.

Thanks in advance.
Mine had the same problem although I never had to put the key to steering column to start the car. I just got the annoying message. The receiver in the steering column is the problem. Mine was replaced while under warranty. My advise, this is a known problem. I doesn't hurt to ask.

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
8,773 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update on this: Replaced the battery on the remote but the problem still persists. I am always able to unlock the car remotely when walking towards the car. The issue here is the remote is not detected *inside* the car. So when I push the start button, I get the remote not detected message. This happens during summer when the outside temperate is 90F or above.

It looks like the technology used to detect the remote inside the car is failing under heat. Does anyone have an explanation of how this works? Is this by proximity? Does the F10 use EWS III communication? Where is the EWS control module located including the part number?

Appreciate the help. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
8,773 Posts
Update on this: Replaced the battery on the remote but the problem still persists. I am always able to unlock the car remotely when walking towards the car. The issue here is the remote is not detected *inside* the car. So when I push the start button, I get the remote not detected message. This happens during summer when the outside temperate is 90F or above.

It looks like the technology used to detect the remote inside the car is failing under heat. Does anyone have an explanation of how this works? Is this by proximity? Does the F10 use EWS III communication? Where is the EWS control module located including the part number?

Appreciate the help. Thanks!
It must be something with your specific car. I've owned 2 F10's (1st was a 2011) and an E90 with keyless start, never had an issue. In my Maryland area (just north of Rockville), it normally exceeds 90 degrees in our hot summers, especially the temperature inside the closed car. Have you had your dealer check it yet? Probably a known/simple solution, either the receiving antenna or some other component. Why keep speculating? Take it in for a professional diagnosis. Does it fail more than once on a given day? Like another hot car start later in the day? Meaning, if you leave it with them on a known hot day, should they be able to reproduce it?

EDIT: I re-read your original thread entry -- ok your dealer checked before and couldn't reproduce. It's still "their fault" -- you reported an issue and they didn't fix it. Based on that, they should still repair it under warranty -- it's the exact same issue you reported previously. This does not give them an "out" for warranty repair.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mark,

Thanks for the response. I am going to take it to the dealership soon. The reason for the questions is to tell them what to look for. They have been focused on the remote and the battery all this time. I think they should be looking at the receiver inside the car/steering column Would you know what that is called?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts