BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 97 528i and my remote key button [the rubber kind] is messed up. Is it possible to just replace the button without buying a whole new key?

·
Registered
9 Posts
i have the same problem. i do not think it is possible (or at least any cheaper than buying a new key) but i have only talked to one dealer, and he kind of gave me a run-around.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Here is an option for you - i wrote a whole thread on the E39 keys. You can use the newer dimond shaped key as long as you have a sonicare or similar type toothbrush to use for charging.

Otherwise they sell the used older style keys on eBay too so you can try to transplant the guts over to your key or use the method i describe in my thread below.

Check the thread!

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154721&highlight=e39+key

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've heard the newer cars use an induction charging system with a rechargable battery in the key. Unfortunately I do not have a sonicare or other induction charger to use. I guess I'll try the ebay route and hope for the best.

·
Registered
958 Posts
tkruger206 said:
Here is an option for you - i wrote a whole thread on the E39 keys. You can use the newer dimond shaped key as long as you have a sonicare or similar type toothbrush to use for charging.

Otherwise they sell the used older style keys on eBay too so you can try to transplant the guts over to your key or use the method i describe in my thread below.

Check the thread!

Ola neighbor!! So I can run over to that recycling yard on 99 by Greenlake and grab the 315Mhz key and use my toothbrush charger to make sure the key still works......are you sure this will charge it, that is the only thing that has kept me from makin the purchase.

·
Registered
958 Posts
tkruger206 said:

Check the thread!

Ola neighbor!! So I can run over to that recycling yard on 99 by Greenlake and grab the 315Mhz key and use my toothbrush charger to make sure the key still works......are you sure this will charge it, that is the only thing that has kept me from makin the purchase.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yes the toothbrush charger will work to charge the "Dimond Keys" - I have tried it myself.

If your car came with a Dimond Key then you will not need to use the toothbrush charger. My method recomends you put your Full Service Key and the used Dimond Key on the same ring which gets it close enough to induction system to charge when using your Full Service Key in the ignition.

·
Registered
958 Posts
My 98 didn't come with diamond key, I'm pretty sure that is a 99 and up thing. I have read before that the diamond keys come in two different radio bands, and that 315 Mhz is the only one that I would be able to operate my car's keyless entry with. They had a set there at the recycling yard, and I've seen from other posts about how to remove the physical key portion and just epoxy it into the next, I just worried about charging.....I never thought about using the toothbrush charger though lol I was considering buying the ignition lock cylinder to and wiring it up with a small 12v battery source of it own, or a trickle charger or something....just plug the key into the wall where the lock cylinder would be mounted. The toothbrush idea works better:thumbup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts