BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple weeks ago my main use key went out of sync, and I discovered that my spare was out of sync as well. I did the reprogram procedure and after many attempts it worked only for my spare key but not for my main key. Leading up to the main key going out of sync, i had to press the remote buttons a whole bunch of times before they would lock or unlock the vehicle. Sometimes if i tapped it gently then tried it would work. Is there any way to revive this key or is it completely dead now?

525i - 2002

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts
A couple weeks ago my main use key went out of sync, and I discovered that my spare was out of sync as well. I did the reprogram procedure and after many attempts it worked only for my spare key but not for my main key. Leading up to the main key going out of sync, i had to press the remote buttons a whole bunch of times before they would lock or unlock the vehicle. Sometimes if i tapped it gently then tried it would work. Is there any way to revive this key or is it completely dead now?

525i - 2002
I never had a problem with my key, so, until Saint Q finds this to save you, these are going to have to suffice ...
- How to replace the old-style BMW square key battery (1) (2) & how to replace the rubber key pads in the square keys (1) (2) & what the red LED indicates on the old square key (1) & what can go wrong with a key and where to send it for repair (1) (2) (3) (4) & what battery to use in the new style 2000+ BMW E39, E46, E53, E85, etc. diamond key (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) & youtube videos of diamond key repairs (1) (2) (3) & a square key to diamond key retrofit and transponder swap (1) (2) (3) (4) & diamond key to square key retrofit questions (1) & how to recharge your key out of your BMW and how long that key will last in the drawer before it needs that off-the-car recharging (1) & the details on swapping the BMW diamond key transponder (1) & the proper diamond key initializing or programming sequence (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) & what to do if your only key is locked inside your bimmer (1) & a description of the various types of BMW Remote, Illuminated, Spare/Wallet, & Valet/Service keys (1) (2) & a list of diamond key EWS, FZV, & DWA functions (1) (2) & all about the 10-key limit to programming your own keys at home (1) & a description of the ignition key ISN (individual serial number) ten-second rule (1) & what to do if you lost your only diamond key (1) or what to do if your BMW key was stolen (1)

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
you could try charging it in car ignition switch on a

525i - 2002
long drive of several hours .

·
bmw addict
1,345 Posts
Your key battery is 12 years old I'd say you had a good run. I replaced mine a few times as the rechargeable batteries die and no longer hold a charge after a decade or so. If a long drive ( as stated before) doesn't charge it up its time for a new key.

·
Registered
2 Posts

525i - 2002
I recently had my main key go out of sync as well. My backup key's been dead for years. Turns out the key was not fixable. On my 2000 E39 you couldn't just change the battery and be done with it. I ended up going to my local BMW repair shop (not a dealer) to get it straightened out. They synced my old key for free but I also decided to get a new one so I'd have 2 on hand. It was about $180 for a new key. To me, this was well worth it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I bought a key for my son's 2001 530i from remotesremotes.com programed it and then had it cut by a locksmith. The new key unlocks the doors and turns the cylinder, but won't start the car. BMW in Bayshore, NY said it was $160 for the hour to program it, but might be able to do it a quicker way for $79. Is this something an independent BMW shop can do. Can it be done with INPA? I'm pissed because it cost $65 just to cut the key.

·
Registered
15,902 Posts
The key requires the EWS chip to be matched to your car. If there is one in the key you bought, you may be able to find a locksmith who can clone an exisiting key.

The vendor says nothing about being able to start the car, only to open it. These two functions are separate.

AFAIK, INPA cannot do this.

·
Registered
13,402 Posts
I bought a key for my son's 2001 530i from remotesremotes.com programed it and then had it cut by a locksmith. The new key unlocks the doors and turns the cylinder, but won't start the car. BMW in Bayshore, NY said it was $160 for the hour to program it, but might be able to do it a quicker way for $79. Is this something an independent BMW shop can do. Can it be done with INPA? I'm pissed because it cost $65 just to cut the key.
Should have came here first and searched or asked. :(

A used key (or even new key) not purchased from the BMW dealership will require specific things performed...and none of it can be done by a BMW dealership if not purchased specifically from a BMW dealer.

As edjack mentioned above, the key contains a transponder chip that has a specific ISN (individual serial number) burned into it that MUST match the same ISN that is burned into the EWS control module and DME/ECU in order for the car to start.

The FZV & DWA (central locking & anti-theft alarm siren systems) are totally different from EWS...but all 3 features are incorporated into the function of the remote key.

EWS can not be programmed casually in the driveway. It requires equipment that can retrieve the EWS ISN, then you must be able to write that data to a new blank transponder within the key (which is sealed)...and the transponder is soldered to the IC board inside the new style remote keys.

FZV & DWA can easily be programmed right in your driveway by following the oft posted instructions. But that has nothing to do with EWS and the key's ability to start the car.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks guys, I had called the company to make sure there was a transponder in this one before ordering because I had read about the different keys. I had seen some videos and read some other forum threads about how to do the programming, but I didn't see the part about it not actually starting the car until after I had ordered it. I got through to one independent shop who said he could probably do it, but the key's ohms have to match. And it would be an hours labor $95. ***128563;

·
Registered
13,402 Posts
Thanks guys, I had called the company to make sure there was a transponder in this one before ordering because I had read about the different keys. I had seen some videos and read some other forum threads about how to do the programming, but I didn't see the part about it not actually starting the car until after I had ordered it. I got through to one independent shop who said he could probably do it, but the key's ohms have to match. And it would be an hours labor $95. ***128563;
Depending on how the key you purchased is made...if it has a place inside the key to store a transponder chip...it may be cheaper at this point to order the plastic spare key from your local BMW dealership...then remove the chip from the new spare from bmw and place it in the remote key you bought earlier.

If that remote key you bought is already cut to fit your ignition, trunk, & door lock...and if fzv/dwa programming works for keyless entry & arming/disarming the alarm...all it needs is an ews chip that has the correct ISN. The plastic spare key usually costs between $45-$95 (depending on how much the local dealer charges).

Again, if there's room inside the remote key for a loose transponder chip...it may be cheaper & less work to finally get a working remote.

Hopefully this makes sense. You can either buy a key through the dealer (less hassle & you don't need to know how things work)...just pay for the key, bmw handles the ews compatibility & may even do the fzv/dwa programming. Or go aftermarket but you need to know what your doing/ buying & have the equipment or know someone who has the equipment to retrieve the data needed & ability to create & cut a new key.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.