BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 1998 528i touring and the other day I went to start the car and it started fine, however, I went to back out and the steering was locked! I then turned the car off and tried to restart it, but the key wouldn't move past the first position. Sorry if this has been covered in other threads, but I have been looking far and wide on BM forums and the information is inconsistent. Although, through information on other threads, I have surmised that I have a faulty ignition lock cylinder. My problem is that I cannot move it to the second position to get it out so I can replace it. Does anyone have any ideas on how to try and move the key forwards or get the barrel out without it being in P2?

Also, I worked out that I can take the ignition switch off the shaft and turn the car on with a screwdriver in the ignition switch while the key is in the ignition (presumably it has to be in there to turn off the EWS), but the steering and transmission remain locked. I can however unlock the transmission by lifting up the transmission interlock gate. Not sure if this information is useful, but I thought I'd just add it.

Thanks

·
Registered
15,749 Posts
Have you tried moving the steering wheel back and forth whilst turning the key?

·
Proverbs 3:5
129 Posts
Yeah. 100% that isn’t the issue. Not a normal activation of the steering lock.
This seems excessive but it does work. Many have used it in conjunction with their conversion to keyless entry and start. Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts