BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Bimmer Rookie
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am picking up my new used 2004 325i tomorrow and the dealer has only one key. :mad:
So how much is it exactly for a new key? Are they easy to get and have programmed? I'm assuming this is a dealer only availability? Even though I am the only one that will be driving the car, I would like to have another key.

I'm sure I will come up with more questions that I can not find the answers to on Wiki or some things I would need clearance on.
Thanks....
Ryan

·
is a Texan
1,400 Posts
Hey Ryan,

The keys for you car are expensive and there is no real alternative to sourcing one from a BMW dealership. I beleive I recall someone posting a price as low as $125 but expect closer to the $200 range. If you are buying from a BMW dealership, make them cut an extra key as part of the deal (They will have to cut it in NJ or somewhere and then overnight it to you, they don't have the ability to make one onsite). If it isn't a BMW dealership, negotiate $XXX amount off since you will need a spare/backup key.

Welcome to the fest and bring on the questions when they come up, folks here are more than willing to help!

·
Supporter of Bimmer Lore
5,192 Posts
I agree. It is criminal for a dealer to try and start squeezing the brand new customer's hard earned cash at the onset. They should deliver the car with the full complement of keys, comprising two full featured remote control keys and one of either a Wallet key (black, capable of doing everything except remote control functions) or a Valet key (gray, only capable of opening the driver's door and starting the engine), these two made of plastic.

·
Bimmer Rookie
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply's. I am buying from a "Hyundai, Subaru, Toyota, Honda, and whatever else Japan" dealer here in Columbus. I did get them to come down even more than what they had because it is due for it's Level II and the key thing and it may need an alignment.

For some reason they took the car in as trade on a new Hyundai :rolleyes:. Oh well, my gain I suppose. But it's had two previous owners and somewhere along the line the valet key and one full functioning key was lost. Going to call the BMW dealer when I pick up the car. Will let ya'll know how much it comes to.

·
Supporting Member
1,519 Posts
What they both said ^ ^ ^ ^ but I would hold out for two keys...one full function to keep at home and one basic to put in a hide-a-key so you will never get stranded.

I got two remote keys done at about two years ago and they were about $120 each.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,351 Posts
Keys are expensive when purchased on your dime. Demand that the dealer supply the full compliment of keys, or the deal walks out the door with you.

·
Supporter of Bimmer Lore
5,192 Posts
Yep, since in these economic conditions they should certainly be more eager to get the car out the door NOW, than you are to take it. Or at least that's how a used car purchase should be approached.

·
Bimmer Rookie
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did get the price knocked down pretty good to begin with because it is at 60K and due for the Level II. They have a call in to the previous owner to see if he has the other keys. I am going to check with my local BMW dealer here in Columbus about that and a couple other things. While I would have loved to press for another key, when I went to pick up the vehicle I ran into a couple that was there looking to buy MY car. I got it for a great price when compared to KBB and what they were originally asking. I am quite proud of my negotiating skills.

BTW, this is the most fun car I have ever driven. I had a blast last night. I can't wait until I have my next day off to just go driving. :thumbup:

·
Registered
644 Posts
And be sure NOT to leave the key in the trunk until you get the replacements. Got enough of those threads already...
Agreed! Never put your trunk lock into secured position so you might actually have a chance of getting into your trunk if the key does get stuck in there. How many keys did you get all together? One remote and thats all or did you get a plain key also? Luckily mine came with all of them which I made sure of when I bought it but if you got a good deal and your happy with the car then a key can be made...

·
Bimmer Rookie
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Key situation resolved...

So the sales guy finally got a hold of the previous owner who traded in my 325i. Seems as though the Inspection II was done and that was what made them decide to trade in the Bimmer on a Hyundai. Cheap ####s. As for the missing key.... The wife still had it on her key ring. They no longer own a Bimmer and she's wandering around with a key for one on her key ring. So she brought it in to the dealer and I was able to swing by and get it. :thumbup:

BTW, local BMW dealers here in Columbus both quoted $212 plus first born for a new key.

·
*^^^^^^^^*
1,724 Posts
So the sales guy finally got a hold of the previous owner who traded in my 325i. Seems as though the Inspection II was done and that was what made them decide to trade in the Bimmer on a Hyundai. Cheap ####s. As for the missing key.... The wife still had it on her key ring. They no longer own a Bimmer and she's wandering around with a key for one on her key ring. So she brought it in to the dealer and I was able to swing by and get it. :thumbup:

BTW, local BMW dealers here in Columbus both quoted $212 plus first born for a new key.
Good for you.

Btw, $154 without any discounts from 1 dealership here and $188 fron the other two. I need one. The remote is dead.

·
Supporter of Bimmer Lore
5,192 Posts
... So she brought it in to the dealer and I was able to swing by and get it. :thumbup:

Bet'cha you're sooo glad we goaded you into insisting for the key.... :p

And you're STILL missing a key, which she probably has at the bottom of her bag with the rest of the mysterious and undecipherable junk women carry in there. I'm talking of either the wallet or the valet key; every Bimmer comes with one or the other.:confused:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.