Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 323i I recently bought. He told me that the battery for the keyless entry was dead. I bought a new battery, installed it, and did all the required steps for initializing it. The remote still does not recognize the car and will not work at all. I have the older style remote that has the red LED on it. The red LED lights up but the remote does not function. I have tried the whole gas door procedure and the gas door is working normally (it locks when I manually lock the doors with the key). Does anyone have any thoughts? Let me know

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Do you ha e a second fob? Try that. If you do t have a second fob you need to buy one. The dealer is the only place to buy a reliable fob. But shop around at different dealers’ website.

The car’s antenna fir the remote lock/unlock functions is located in the rear facing windshield. The radio frequency (RF) amplifier for this antenna is located in the left side (when sitting in the car) “C” pillar. TheC pillar is the part of the car’s body that connects the roof with lower car body on either side of the back seat. They contain the rear reading lights. The amplifier has 12VDC as long as the battery is connected.

To remove the left C pillar interior cover:
- remove the reading light by prying each side (it press fitted)
- remove the 8mm (10mm?) bolt that sits behind the reading light
- gently pry the cover off.

The cover is held in place by plastic push rivets. Be very gentle as the bottom push rivet can break the slit on the cover into which it sits. Have gorilla glue handy!!

The amp has numerous connections. You need to check for power and ground (ground is always brown in BMWs) on the rectangular connector. There are also several coaxial connectors on the amp. These carry RF signals. Remove each and clean it and the corresponding amp connection with alcohol. Allow to dry and reinstall. Tighten using your fingers.

The other thing is the antenna in the rear facing windshield may be bad.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts