BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my '05 x3 two weeks now and occasionally I can't get my key to unlock or lock the doors by pushing the buttons (none of the buttons will work). I thought it was maybe the key battery but I grabbed the other key and it wouldn't work either. It will work the next time after I get in the car and start it up.

Could this be some kind of frequency interference, or a problem with the receiving end in the car? Also shouldn't the seats & mirrors move to my settings when I unlock the car? Should I try re-initializing the keys?

thanks

·
Aficionado
3,016 Posts

·
Aficionado
3,016 Posts
I think I can find it. I need to do both keys at the same time, right?
Yup, both at the same time. Here's the file just in case.

Attachments

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks I was looking for that. I'll give it a try

Actually I did a search (sorry should have done that first), seems like this is a common problem for the 04's and 05's. I believe there may be a service bulletin for it.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What does "turn the ignition key to KL R" mean on step one? Is KL R equivalent to I?

thanks

·
Registered
104 Posts
Just for warning, I see you are in boston. In heavily populated and dense areas, sometimes there is reception problems with the remote access. I have run into many occasions in Chicago, specifically downtown, where the car won't recognize the remote entry. Nothing works. I asked the dealer, who is also downtown, and they run into the same problems with brand new cars right off the truck.

In those rare cases, I have to enter using the key hole at the drivers door. The old fashion way.

·
Drink the koolaid or else
2,691 Posts
SI B 66 01 04
Remote Control System
August 2006
Technical Service

This Service Information bulletin supersedes Advance S.I. B66 01 04 dated December 2004.
designates changes to this revision
SUBJECT
315MHz Remote Control Range is Inadequate or Inoperative
MODEL
E83 (X3) from start of production up to April 27th 2006
SITUATION
The remote control range is inadequate or inoperative in specific areas. There are no faults stored in the
General Module (ZKE)
CAUSE
Hardware issue in the 315 MHz antenna amplifier
CORRECTION
On a customer complaint basis only, install an improved 315MHz antenna amplifier with AI index 05 or
higher.
PARTS INFORMATION
WARRANTY INFORMATION
Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

·
Aficionado
3,016 Posts
What does "turn the ignition key to KL R" mean on step one? Is KL R equivalent to I?

thanks
"ON" where all the lights on the dash are lit.

For the "out of range" problem, try holding the tip of the key against your chin (in a vertical position) while pushing the lock/unlock buttons, that amplifies the waves using your body as an "antenna"

Beware, You can look kind of dumb doing this in public areas, so try to do it when no body is looking !! :D
Don't ask me how but this works, it aprox increase range about 100%

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I sometimes park downtown Boston above the bus/south station. The key never works there. I'll look into the bulletin before the warranty expires.

thanks for the help

·
BMW Enthusiast!
5,679 Posts
For the "out of range" problem, try holding the tip of the key against your chin (in a vertical position) while pushing the lock/unlock buttons, that amplifies the waves using your body as an "antenna"

Beware, You can look kind of dumb doing this in public areas, so try to do it when no body is looking !! :D
Sounds like touching the top of an antenna on an older phone and sticking your leg out to use as a bigger antenna!

I heard a tin foil hat helps also!:rofl:

·
Aficionado
3,016 Posts

·
Aficionado
3,016 Posts
Awesome info I'm adding to my X3 file. Thanks for posting!!!!
You're welcome!

Sounds like touching the top of an antenna on an older phone and sticking your leg out to use as a bigger antenna!

I heard a tin foil hat helps also!:rofl:
No kidding....but for real, you can try this first from a distance where the remote would be normally "out of range" (I.E. 50 feet), and then press it against your chin and do it again....

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm bringing the vehicle in next week for some maintenance and I mentioned the problem and the SIB. Dealer said he hasn't heard of the problem or SIB before. Dealer started mentioning key battery problems (not possible though because it is both keys), or a bad antenna.

Definitely an interference thing - happens at the same certain garages I park at. Is it worth bringing the dealer a a copy of the SIB - or is that being to brash?

·
Yes, please!
1,227 Posts
Just for warning, I see you are in boston. In heavily populated and dense areas, sometimes there is reception problems with the remote access. I have run into many occasions in Chicago, specifically downtown, where the car won't recognize the remote entry. Nothing works. I asked the dealer, who is also downtown, and they run into the same problems with brand new cars right off the truck.

In those rare cases, I have to enter using the key hole at the drivers door. The old fashion way.
This happened a lot to me in SF.

SI B 66 01 04
Remote Control System
August 2006
Technical Service

This Service Information bulletin supersedes Advance S.I. B66 01 04 dated December 2004.
designates changes to this revision
SUBJECT
315MHz Remote Control Range is Inadequate or Inoperative
MODEL
E83 (X3) from start of production up to April 27th 2006
SITUATION
The remote control range is inadequate or inoperative in specific areas. There are no faults stored in the
General Module (ZKE)
CAUSE
Hardware issue in the 315 MHz antenna amplifier
CORRECTION
On a customer complaint basis only, install an improved 315MHz antenna amplifier with AI index 05 or
higher.
PARTS INFORMATION
WARRANTY INFORMATION
Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty.
Thanks!!

·
Aficionado
3,016 Posts
Is it worth bringing the dealer a a copy of the SIB - or is that being to brash?
Take it. They need to know we're better informed than they are, sometimes!

·
Registered
3 Posts
HELP! Guys, Really in deep Trouble cannot get inside car!

Guys, I know this is OT but I assume someone here can help me asap. Sorry for OT emergency.

I have an X3 2004 US version using here in our country. Its a pre-owned one I got from my friend. I accidentaly left the Key at the trunk (backside) of my X3. This is what happens, I parked my car in the garage basement, when I got out of the car, I locked it pressing the lock button in my key, then I suddenly remember Ineed to get somthing in the trunk, So I push the trunk release 3rd butoon of my key, then as i am getting the things, I accidentally put it inside along with my coat and cellfone then without any clue to just close the trunk which I normally would do.. that's it, My door is all closed even the pasenger and the driver seats.

Problem:
1. I dont have any spare keys, I just have only one key ehich has been issued to me by one of the pre-owned distributor cars here in the country.
2. They seem to lost the spare keys as well which I already and demanded them to produce them bec My cellfone and my paperworks are all inside the car. All they did was ordered and requested the key from BMW germany I guess provided with my car infos and all. But its gonna take 2 weeks for the keys to arrived and I cant afford anymore day to waste. Its been 3days now.

3. All they could suggest for quick solution, Is to broke the quarter mirror of the backside door and they will shoulder the expense.

Do i have any other ways to get in without breaking the glass? Please help, any advice will be much appreciated as I am suffering a Day without anything, my wallet, my cellfones, my cards and my documents and papaerworks areall inside the car.

Do i have any other means or ways? or maybe just to drill a small hole in the mirror just to push the key inside to unlock the vehicle? I know this is crazy I just dnt want to break the glass bec. it will be as useless I cant use the car as well with brokenglass.

I am in deep trouble everyday as I wait for 2 weeks I'd be dead.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
"ON" where all the lights on the dash are lit.

Don't ask me how but this works, it aprox increase range about 100%
It works if you put it up to your mouth as well. :rofl: I never do it if anyone is looking. You would look like a total dumbass. You could always scratch your chin while doing it so it looks normal. :rofl:

Guys, I know this is OT but I assume someone here can help me asap. Sorry for OT emergency.

I have an X3 2004 US version using here in our country. Its a pre-owned one I got from my friend. I accidentaly left the Key at the trunk (backside) of my X3. This is what happens, I parked my car in the garage basement, when I got out of the car, I locked it pressing the lock button in my key, then I suddenly remember Ineed to get somthing in the trunk, So I push the trunk release 3rd butoon of my key, then as i am getting the things, I accidentally put it inside along with my coat and cellfone then without any clue to just close the trunk which I normally would do.. that's it, My door is all closed even the pasenger and the driver seats.

Problem:
1. I dont have any spare keys, I just have only one key ehich has been issued to me by one of the pre-owned distributor cars here in the country.
2. They seem to lost the spare keys as well which I already and demanded them to produce them bec My cellfone and my paperworks are all inside the car. All they did was ordered and requested the key from BMW germany I guess provided with my car infos and all. But its gonna take 2 weeks for the keys to arrived and I cant afford anymore day to waste. Its been 3days now.

3. All they could suggest for quick solution, Is to broke the quarter mirror of the backside door and they will shoulder the expense.

Do i have any other ways to get in without breaking the glass? Please help, any advice will be much appreciated as I am suffering a Day without anything, my wallet, my cellfones, my cards and my documents and papaerworks areall inside the car.

Do i have any other means or ways? or maybe just to drill a small hole in the mirror just to push the key inside to unlock the vehicle? I know this is crazy I just dnt want to break the glass bec. it will be as useless I cant use the car as well with brokenglass.

I am in deep trouble everyday as I wait for 2 weeks I'd be dead.
Drill a hole????? WTF, you can't be serious. Is there anyway a locksmith can get the door open. Call the locksmith and have them get into the car. A broken window is better than the hole method. You can get the window replaced the same day. I suggest calling a locksmith that can get into the car. Some use a airbag thing that pry's the door open enough to get a wire in there to unlock the car. There is someone that can get into the car fairly easy. Find them.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts