BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody use the kick gesture to 'close' the hatch? Same kick motion while opening ... the car beeps twice and the hatch closes.

Interestingly, I have never seen this in the manual or in my google searches ...

It works perfectly, but since it is not in the manual not sure if it is recommended or not.

Am I missing something? Thoughts?

The car is 435i GC,

·
Registered
243 Posts
Does anybody use the kick gesture to 'close' the hatch? Same kick motion while opening ... the car beeps twice and the hatch closes.

Interestingly, I have never seen this in the manual or in my google searches ...

It works perfectly, but since it is not in the manual not sure if it is recommended or not.

Am I missing something? Thoughts?

The car is 435i GC,
It's a great feature if you do the grocery shopping, you can fill both hands with bags and only need your foot to close the liftback, saves you a trip into the house and back to close the liftback.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its only available on a few 3/4 series. It's available on the 3 series sport wagon and 3GT, as well as the 4 series GC only - when you get the comfort access package.

Here is a site that briefly mentions it for the 4 series GC:

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicl...wroom/exterior_design/automatic_tailgate.html

When the description loads - click more.
Great find! Thanks!

It's a great feature if you do the grocery shopping, you can fill both hands with bags and only need your foot to close the liftback, saves you a trip into the house and back to close the liftback.
I use it all the time even when I don't have too much stuff ... just for fun :)

·
Registered
864 Posts
I quite like the feature and find it very convenient. It is also possible to code the delay on opening to a shorter time and the inside hatch/trunk button in the driver's foot well can also be coded to close.

·
Leave gun. Take Canoli.
7,697 Posts
That would be cool to have on my 435, but the kick clearly just releases the trunk latch and lets the springs open it up. It would even be cool to have a button on the fob or inside the trunk close it like my Jeep does.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Before I make a fool of myself flailing about, can anyone confirm this works on the f31?
Works great except when you're unloading stuff close in to the car, and your feet are under the fender, and the lid decides to close on your head :yikes:

·
WagonMeister
152 Posts
I do have the comfort access. If I couldn't open it with my foot, I wouldn't expect to close it with my foot. LOL. Although I consider myself tech savvy and reasonably fit, I cannot get the hatch to open reliably first time every time. I never saw this in the manual and although dealer demonstrated open, never close. I will try it today.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Mine has a feature something like that. It doesn't require the risk of balancing on one foot or the other. Both feet can remain firmly planted on the ground. You extend either arm directly over the raised trunk lid. Then with the arm fully extended, you relax and allow the hand or lower arm to contact the trunk lid as the arm falls, closing the opening. Works every time.

Didn't require coding and you don't need to have the key fob in your pocket.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Mine has a feature something like that. It doesn't require the risk of balancing on one foot or the other. Both feet can remain firmly planted on the ground. You extend either arm directly over the raised trunk lid. Then with the arm fully extended, you relax and allow the hand or lower arm to contact the trunk lid as the arm falls, closing the opening. Works every time.

Just tested it and works on mine too!

·
Registered
243 Posts

Try doing that with both hands full of heavy grocery bags and let us know how it goes. That's what the kick-to-close feature is for.

·
Registered
198 Posts
+1 on my GT. Very useful feature when loading / unloading groceries etc. kick works to open and to close.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts