BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hey everyone,

so, this has been on my mind ever since I got my license - I've gone through 3 cars in the 7 or 8 months I've had it, and they've all been BMWs, and it seems like people always have an opinion on them. first, I was driving my dad's old '04 330Ci convertible that was still on lease; handed in the keys to that a couple months ago. then, when my mom got her Range Rover, I started driving around her old '99 540i until I finally got my very own bimmer last Monday, an '06 325i, for my 17th birthday.

when I was driving the 330 convertible, teachers at my school would actually make comments about it during class. some of them would just joke around about how I go too fast through the parking lot, etc. however, one time someone actually put a pebble in the air valve in one of my tires and I got a flat coming home from school going about 60 mph. it completely destroyed my wheel. then, once when I was bitching about this during class (it was the day after it happened and I was talking to my friend & a couple other people who had heard about it), my teacher actually said to me, "you can't drive a nice car to school and expect people not to do anything to it. why don't you just get a normal car for a 16 year old?" now... the reason I say I was "bitching" about it is because the principal said there was "NOTHING" she could do about it because there were no cameras in the parking lot. that was total bs. so I started parking in the teacher's parking lot and of course all the faculty had it in for me, but whatever. one time though I even remember I was driving home from school w/ my (at the time) girlfriend in the car and I could hear these two (ugly, trailer-park) girls next to us going "does he think he's cool or something?" wtf? because I'm driving my car, which happens to be nicer than yours, I think I'm cool? I would also came out of school on several occasions to find random key marks that always looked like they were made just by someone maybe walking by my car in the student parking lot who happened to have their kids in their hand.

when I was driving my mom's older 5-series there was much less attention paid to it, except some people would scoff and be like "oh it looks like he got downgraded" or "did his parents buy him another BMW to bring to school so he doesn't have to worry about his other one?" I thought that one was pretty funny actually.

however, now that I have my new car, I can't drive it around town without someone saying something later. as was the case with my old 330Ci (although this subsided when I was driving the 5), random people who think they're family friends are telling my dad "oh, I saw your son driving fast again, blah blah blah.." I swear to god. my dad told me the other day that someone stopped him at the gas station down the street from us and said that I passed them in a 55 when they were going 60, and asked him "why do you let your son drive that car?" wtf again? why is it their business?

ok. you don't have to read any of that actually but it basically summarizes the way I get treated because of my car(s).

even on this forum though I see people saying stuff like "WTF IS UP WITH TEENAGERS GETTING TO DRIVE BMWs, IT MAKES ME SOO MAD" and to this all I have to say is this:

:wahwah:

however... I'm curious, cause this place is made up mostly of adults, what do you think when you see a young kid, late teens or early early 20s, driving a new, low-model luxury car like a 3-series or a C-class or an A4? i'm talking about a kid who is young to the point that there is no way he could have a stable enough job to pay for the car himself. does it really bother you? why can't people just think, oh, look, that kid must come from a good family, he must be a good, responsible guy for his parents to get that for him, blah blah etc. etc... whyyy not?!

i'm really not complaining at all, that's not what the post is about. I just kind of got mad when I started typing all this stuff, it took me back haha :yikes: well.. thank you for your input and I'm sorry for the hugecrazylong post :eeps:

oh and by the way, I do help my parents pay for my car. not because they NEED my help paying for it or even because they want/told me to -- I do it because I like feeling like maybe the car really is kind of "mine" after all :p

·
Banned
6,970 Posts
Silv650i on the 6er board just received a new 650i from his father. He's got one more year of high school. Like you, he's 17. (Long Beach, California.)

I would suggest that you not be concerned about what others think of your car, because there will always be someone somewhere who's younger than you with a more expensive car.

As for me, I don't care what you drive as long as you don't create a hazard for me when I drive.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Malibubimmer said:
Silv650i on the 6er board just received a new 650i from his father. He's got one more year of high school. Like you, he's 17. (Long Beach, California.)

I would suggest that you not be concerned about what others think of your car, because there will always be someone somewhere who's younger than you with a more expensive car.

As for me, I don't care what you drive as long as you don't create a hazard for me when I drive.
woow, lucky him :yikes:

yes I know we shouldn't care about what people think of our cars, but it's inevitable. everyone cares about what people think to some degree. I agree though -- I really don't care a lot... but I do enough.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Enjoy your car! :thumbup: Who cares how old you are. Most people at your age don't drive BMW's. If they are jealous or whatever, that's their insecurity. Drive safe and be cool on the roads. :thumbup: Plenty of folks out there prepared to cause trouble.

·
Registered
205 Posts
well, i am 21...am an engineer and drive a what you call a "low end luxury car"..a 99 323is....yes i get look, yes i get comments, but i knew i would...ill have to say, for parents to buy their kidsd cars that even working class ppl cant afford, makes others feel like crap, but i mean i shake my head sometimes too....but whatever man, ur driveing a wicked car, they arent...so whatever....tell them to eat you...and ur dust!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Michael, I can understand your frustration, especially in light of the treatment from your teachers and peers and vandalism to your cars. However, from the undertone of your initial post, I get the sense (from comments like the one about the trailer park girls) that you are a kid from a well-off family (and yes, probably a good and responsible kid) who may take his advantages for granted and may not fully appreciate his good fortune because you've never been in a position where your basic needs, and those not so basic needs like a new bmw, were not readily available. For example, your attitude seems to suggest that you were ENTITLED to use the teachers parking lot reserved for faculty. I am not saying that you are spoiled (well, maybe not exactly), and I am not making excuses for those who treated you badly, but...

Just bear in mind that you are in an enviable position where your parents can buy you a new bmw for your 17th b-day. Most of your classmates, and even most of your teachers, probably are not so fortunate as to be able to own such a nice car.

I am happy for you that you have such great and generous parents. And I hope no one is vandalizing your new baby.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
JadeWinn said:
Michael, I can understand your frustration, especially in light of the treatment from your teachers and peers and vandalism to your cars. However, from the undertone of your initial post, I get the sense (from comments like the one about the trailer park girls) that you are a kid from a well-off family (and yes, probably a good and responsible kid) who may take his advantages for granted and may not fully appreciate his good fortune because you've never been in a position where your basic needs, and those not so basic needs like a new bmw, were not readily available. For example, your attitude seems to suggest that you were ENTITLED to use the teachers parking lot reserved for faculty. I am not saying that you are spoiled (well, maybe not exactly), and I am not making excuses for those who treated you badly, but...

Just bear in mind that you are in an enviable position where your parents can buy you a new bmw for your 17th b-day. Most of your classmates, and even most of your teachers, probably are not so fortunate as to be able to own such a nice car.

I am happy for you that you have such great and generous parents. And I hope no one is vandalizing your new baby.
thank you :thumbup:

yeah, I understand I may seem like I feel entitled to what I have, and I admit to some extent that I do almost feel that way. keep in mind it's not on purpose, though, it's just part of my personality. I see myself as a very proactive person -- when something needs to be done, I do it. the school principal tells me there is nothing she can do about someone vandalizing my car to the extent that it actually could cause harm to me (sudden flat going 60 mph is a scary, scary thing for a new driver), when I know/feel that it's the school's liability? I do something about it, and I park in the faculty area which is monitored by camera. I really do appreciate what I have though. I told my parents... buying me a new car is an "investment" cause in 10 or 15 years I plan on being the one who upgrades their oceanfront condo in Florida to an oceanfront mansion so they won't have to worry about paying that mortage anymore ;)

·
Registered
275 Posts
michael chase said:
I told my parents... buying me a new car is an "investment" cause in 10 or 15 years I plan on being the one who upgrades their oceanfront condo in Florida to an oceanfront mansion so they won't have to worry about paying that mortage anymore ;)
:thumbup: I am sure you're a good son as well as a good kid.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Good for you! I wish my parents could do that for me... but they can't. Instead of being jealous, I simply plan on being able to do that for my children, and I'll be pretty ticked off if my kids hafta go through the same thing you do. The school principal would definately be hearing from me.

It's funny, when I drove my Stealth R/T I got similar treatment though. (And I'm 22.) Most people just saw a nice car... they didn't know it was 14 years old... and they didn't know it only cost $3400. I drove a '94 Cavalier for a year and a half before that car... and not once did it get a lick of damage on it, except for damage I inflicted on it... I drove it pretty hard. The Stealth, on the other hand, I babied, always parked it in the far corner of a parking lot, washed it at least every other week, took good care of it. Yet within the first month I had it it had 3 new dings on the door. And my friends were sort of jealous of it... which I thought was stupid, since most of them had cars that cost 2-4 times more than mine. They just weren't as nice looking.

·
I want an E46!
469 Posts
Ahah Congrats on your new Bimmer. Sorry to hear your story. But back on track with a first comment: Private or Public School?

I have no idea what kinds of things that goes down in the part of New York, but this is highly unusual behavior from kids if they were to pull that kind of stunts in California. I recently graduated from a Private HS this last June, and let me tell you first hand, there are only THE FEW schools where this would occur, and these schools are obvious and nortious for drugs, gangs and what not.

It appears you are at about upper crust society, parents in the top 3% tax bracket, earning enough to get you a brand spanking new'06 325i. Why are you in such a (excuse my french) - sh!t school that allows or has this kind of crap that happens to kids who are fortunate?Its none of my business but it would be something I would say if you were a friend of mine.

Back to your Principal. If I am not mestaken school is liable for your car in their parking lot. It is and or SHOULD be the responsibility of the school to protect your car. I am pretty sure you have a strong case of the school protecting your car, give me a few days to figure out the works of this. This situation is stronger in a Public school setting than in a Private school setting. PM me if your in Private, because it is a WHOLE different ballgame.

BTW: If I was in your position, I would pay the school for my own personal parking space, in a protected area, with my damn name on it. But there is something fishy with your car not being protected in a parking lot.

Sorry if my whole rant is a little off, I got a few opinions about the education system, I am tired, its about 1, I got work in a few hours and this is one long closing run on sentence. :mad: PM me cause this is interesting.

·
Registered
347 Posts
if your happy with your car, and I would be as Im sure you are, who cares what they say? Im sure they are just jealous of your nice riding bmw which can beat the **** out of their civic beaters. You know what i'd say? race em! :drive: haha

·
Color blind photographer
1,730 Posts
Malibubimmer said:

X2

·
friend of the marque
4,943 Posts
michael-

For and formost, welcome to the board, congrats on the nice new car, blah, blah, blah.
Now to the matter at hand.

Someone else already asked, but it sound like you are in a public school?

I drove a 79 bug conv and then a 88 Jetta in high school but in the parking lot there were new BMWs, Mercedes, and Volvos.
Nobody really cared about cars to be honest since everyone was in the same socio-economic pool, per se.

Keeping it all in perspective if you cannot change your environment, it is JUST a car. Now it is nice and new, but it depreciates every day and the 2007s are just around the corner - not to be a downer, but it is just life.

Unfortunately some people are just jealous by nature.
Honestly you probably will not get any respect until you buy such a car yourself, it is just how it is.
You seem like a great kid, with a good head on your shoulders, just keep a positive outlook and your day will come.

There is nothing more valuable than a positive attitude and a loving family, and it sounds like you have both - that alone puts you head and shoulders above many others.

·
You puked ON Dean Wormer
211 Posts
What do i think when I see a 'kid' with a nice car?

I think that his parents can afford to give him/her a nice car, and have enough respect for and trust in their kid to give him a car. Provided the 'kid' stays grounded and does not become spoiled by this, no probs. I bought my son a 1993 Ford Ranger pickup when he got his license. I trust him to drive safely and intelligently, and a small pickup (not extended cab) limits additional passengers/distractions. It allows him to drive himself to hockey, work etc. He has experienced similar feelings at school - simply because he has a vehicle at his disposal. (This does provide me with a bargaining chip - if the grades slip, I take the keys.)

The same thing happens to adults to some degree too. I have folks (and friends) question why I have to have a 5er and a Z3 and the pickup and my wife's Murano. My answer: If that's what I choose to spend my hard-earned money on, then that's my choice. Your parents chose to spend their hard-earned money on a car for their son - good for them (and you!)

·
Registered
42 Posts
i understand what your going through, im 17 and i have the same problem at my school. it IS a private school.

although my car isnt as nice as yours, i still own a 94 e36, its been modded and is constantly being worked on, it looks really nice. alot of people like the car and it tends to spark jealousy amoungst teachers and students somtimes.

teachers have made comments like "why dont you get your dad to go buy another bmw" and classmates make comments about how rich i must be, just because i drive a bmw and have a nice house. it automaticly makes me a rich snob. they dont realise my parents came from large families that struggled to survive, never had any money, had a poor education and droped out of school early. my parents have worked extremly hard, my dad started his own busines at the age of 19 and my mum worked till she had enough money to go to university. both my parents have worked really hard and been sensible all their life and now at the age of 50 they can start to enjoy the benifits.

my parents helped me buy my car, i payed what i could which was almost half. i have an afterschool job and have been saving money since i was young. people judge me and abuse me for the car i drive, people act completly differently when im in my car. for example police officers when issuing fines and making inspections. when they realise my age their personaltiy changes and i become practicly an enemy. when i drive my dads work truck thats worth more than the bmw nobody pays attention because its just another car.

i disslike the way people treat me but i knew it would happen before i bought the car. the best thing that happend when i bought the car was discovering who my real friends were. the ones who become jealous and envy you then make comments about your car negitivly are not the friends you need. the people that are happy for you and interested and appreciate what you have are your friends for life.

and for the reccord, my car never goes to school and it is always parked parallel on the side of the road or it is double parked. i refuse to use parking bays so my car doesnt get scratched :)

·
I do'nt make mistakes.
10,478 Posts
Malibubimmer said:

:stupid: When I was a teenager, I got my dad's POS work beater, which was better than the nothing most of my friends got. However, one of my friends at school came the next town over and he had both Boss 302 and Boss 429 Mustangs, and his dad let him drive the family Ferrari 308 and take the new (Dad's, not mom's old) Rolls to prom. Did I hate him? No, because he has cool and didn't make a deal of his family's wealth. However, plenty of kids that didn't know him gave him hell at the time. High school is a time to learn that you can't control what other people think about you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
For the 17 year old

I'm glad you appreciate fine cars at young age. But what you don't realize is that your actions, including driving cars that you could never afford and that most of the teacher in your school could never afford, will may make you a target. Not saying its right but its the reality of the situation. Here 's a bad example- a young attractive girl who dresses like a stripper or prostitute then wonders why men treat her like a sex object. Its not nice or right- but what do you expect.

From reading your post, it seems to me that you do have sense of entitlelment and you probably are pretty spoiled- calling the girls who made a comment about your car " ugly trailer trash" pretty much sums up how you view people- based on looks and wealth. So it sound like people are also viewing you that way. People see a kid driving an expensive car and speeding around like he owns the world (I ddin't hear you deny speeding but ony saying what business is it of other) and they call you spoiled/bratty. You should print out your post and read it in like 20 years- by then you may have exprienced life enought to know that maybe if you didn't act spoiled (I'm sure you throw out that you " got a condo in Florida" at school once in while other kids in your school live in trailers), people might treat you better. Also maybe you acknolwedge you are pretty lucky- saying its an investment your parent are making because you'll pay them back sounds like you are saying you deserved the car - and my friend no 17 year old deserves a BMW unless they work to pay for it.

Act and treat people of all walks of live decently and don't throw your wealth in peope faces and you'll be treated decently by most. BTW, I'm am a 38 FOG (f**KNG old guy) who used to drive a car to high school that was nicer than most the teachers had and I also drove like an idiot. Never had an issue with people treating me decently though because I was decent to everyone (jocks, druggies,smokers, preps, intelllects etc) no matter how rich, poor or what they looked like. Today I drive a BMW (not nicer than yours though) and flaunt some expensive items ( a nice watch, put in a pool, some decent clothes, nice jewlery for the wife) but no one questions me or most other adults becuase people realize we probably had to work pretty hard to earn the money to afford those items. They see you in a new BMW and think no way has he done anything to afford that car. Fair- no. Reality-yes

Here' s good example of someone who knows how life can work.My father-in-law has worked a blue collar job for about the last 15 years in the trucking industry. He was a much higher salaried worker (white collar) at one time but ran into some issues with his father's business partner when his old man died. About the same time he left his white collar job, he made some investments in building hotelswith lots ofborrowed money. this was pretty risky and they were not profitable for many years. He ended up working blue collar trucking job in the same industrywhere he used to be a manager. He kows what is is like to be an average joe, About 5 years ago, his investment began to bear fruit and he is now a multi-millionaire. He bought himself a Porsche and a boat. Although he has had that Porsche for about 5 years, he did not once drive it work or talk about other than his closest friends. Why? He didn't want to rub his good fortune in the face of others and didn't want to be treated differently by co-workers. Funny thing is he is worth more than the guy who owns the company he works for.

·
Casey!
17,665 Posts
If your parents can afford to get you a BMW, that's great. If you are grounded enough to appreciate what that means, and you work hard to make something of yourself in life, then that's even better!

Enjoy the car, drive safe, and get good grades :D

·
le Boss
2,925 Posts
michael chase said:
... buying me a new car is an "investment" cause in 10 or 15 years I plan on being the one who upgrades their oceanfront condo in Florida to an oceanfront mansion so they won't have to worry about paying that mortage anymore ;)
Meanwhile, there are working families barely scraping by in a trailer park in Allentown, USA...

1 - 20 of 127 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.