BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
ex-M couper
Joined
·
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep, I have the M-coupe bug!
Done the FAQ and search things here.
Have a few questions for anyone not too busy to answer them.

1. Euro-spec S52 engines had 320 hp rather than the 240 of US spec, correct? How difficult is it to get a US spec S52 up to Euro spec? What are the drawbacks?

2. Aside from the engines, what are the main differences between the '99-'00 and '01-'02 M-coupes?

3. How rare is Oxford Green? I may have located a 2000 OG M-coupe in Illinois (I'm in Calif. and waiting to get an e-mail reply from the dealer).

4. How well does a single-DIN Head Unit fit? I'm thinking of a Kenwood single-DIN Stereo/DVD/Nav unit with a Music Keg added.

5. Can Xenon HID headlights be fitted without too much difficulty -- my '04 325xiT has spoiled me!

6. Aside from the rear sub-frame cracking issue, for what else should I be watchful.

Thanks for any help,
 

·
Im here
Joined
·
4,825 Posts
Bob Clevenger said:
Yep, I have the M-coupe bug!
Done the FAQ and search things here.
Have a few questions for anyone not too busy to answer them.

1. Euro-spec S52 engines had 320 hp rather than the 240 of US spec, correct? How difficult is it to get a US spec S52 up to Euro spec? What are the drawbacks?

2. Aside from the engines, what are the main differences between the '99-'00 and '01-'02 M-coupes?

3. How rare is Oxford Green? I may have located a 2000 OG M-coupe in Illinois (I'm in Calif. and waiting to get an e-mail reply from the dealer).

4. How well does a single-DIN Head Unit fit? I'm thinking of a Kenwood single-DIN Stereo/DVD/Nav unit with a Music Keg added.

5. Can Xenon HID headlights be fitted without too much difficulty -- my '04 325xiT has spoiled me!

6. Aside from the rear sub-frame cracking issue, for what else should I be watchful.

Thanks for any help,
Im pretty sure that no S52s had 320hp, maby the S54 does but not the S52
Head unit is not a problem at all fitting
 

·
The Anti-Rice
Joined
·
5,394 Posts
1. Euro-spec S52 engines had 320 hp rather than the 240 of US spec, correct? How difficult is it to get a US spec S52 up to Euro spec? What are the drawbacks?

Its easy to get it to euro spec. Get an 2001 or 2002 with an S54.

2. Aside from the engines, what are the main differences between the '99-'00 and '01-'02 M-coupes?

The S54 has DSC (much much better), Tire pressure monitor, comes with a CD player, wheels are finished different. SRS is different. Wiring is different. Thats all I can think of.

3. How rare is Oxford Green? I may have located a 2000 OG M-coupe in Illinois (I'm in Calif. and waiting to get an e-mail reply from the dealer).

You can check on 368s.com for a list of cars. Oxford green on an M, I dont think I have seen one.

4. How well does a single-DIN Head Unit fit? I'm thinking of a Kenwood single-DIN Stereo/DVD/Nav unit with a Music Keg added.

Pops right in in seconds, literally. I would get a traffic pro with phatbox. They are made for eachother. Phatbox=music keg

5. Can Xenon HID headlights be fitted without too much difficulty -- my '04 325xiT has spoiled me!

Sure, several people have done it. Projector Z for one. There are other kits out there that just add it.

6. Aside from the rear sub-frame cracking issue, for what else should I be watchful.

Fuel pumps going out. Seat bushings getting loose. I cant think of any more. Anyone?

Thanks for any help,[/QUOTE]
 

·
The Anti-Rice
Joined
·
5,394 Posts
S50B30 put out 287 HP DIN (Euro)

S50B32 put out 321 HP DIN (Euro, approx 312 SAE)

S52B32 put out 240 HP SAE (US 3.2)

S54B32 put out 325 HP DIN (Euro) (Approx 320 SAE)

S54B32 put out 315 HP SAE (US)

The difference between the euro and US S54 is just the cats and headers.

The difference between the S54 in the M3 and the S54 in the M Coupe is just the air box and the software.
 

·
ex-M couper
Joined
·
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow! so many quick replies. Thanks all for the really good info.

I'm getting a bit queasy about the Oxford Green one in IL. First, it's a midwest car and has probably been subjected to salt on the roads in winter. Second it has a few mods that kind of say "been driven hard" to me -- racing steering wheel and special hand brake handle for two right off the top of my head. Even though I really like OG, I think I'll pass on this one.

I've located a Silver w/ black leather one close to home (Fullerton, CA). It's a 2000 and is completely stock at 44K miles. Priced at just under $20k. If it's still for sale (waiting for e-mail reply) I'll probably go to Fullerton and look it over.

Ben, Estoril Blue would be very nice, but I'm not sure you would want to let it go for what I can afford (after buying a new 325xiT!). If you think we can arrange a deal, I'd love to get an M coupe from someone on this board, as I'd feel pretty good about it being well cared-for before I got it. E-mail or PM me if you think it won't be a waste of your time.

I can't believe that I'm actually considering owning TWO BMWs!
 

·
ex-M couper
Joined
·
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I saw a British review of the '99 or '00 M coupe and it surprised me greatly also.
I figured if it can be done with BMW parts, I'd try to find out about it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,318 Posts
Bob Clevenger said:
Ben, Estoril Blue would be very nice, but I'm not sure you would want to let it go for what I can afford (after buying a new 325xiT!). If you think we can arrange a deal, I'd love to get an M coupe from someone on this board, as I'd feel pretty good about it being well cared-for before I got it. E-mail or PM me if you think it won't be a waste of your time.
The silver one in Fullerton sounds like a better deal for you...couple grand less than what I'd be asking for mine :)...but if you feel like spending a bit more for a cherry example of the Coupe, feel free to contact me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
Bob Clevenger said:
Wow! so many quick replies. Thanks all for the really good info.

I'm getting a bit queasy about the Oxford Green one in IL. First, it's a midwest car and has probably been subjected to salt on the roads in winter. Second it has a few mods that kind of say "been driven hard" to me -- racing steering wheel and special hand brake handle for two right off the top of my head. Even though I really like OG, I think I'll pass on this one.

I've located a Silver w/ black leather one close to home (Fullerton, CA). It's a 2000 and is completely stock at 44K miles. Priced at just under $20k. If it's still for sale (waiting for e-mail reply) I'll probably go to Fullerton and look it over.

Ben, Estoril Blue would be very nice, but I'm not sure you would want to let it go for what I can afford (after buying a new 325xiT!). If you think we can arrange a deal, I'd love to get an M coupe from someone on this board, as I'd feel pretty good about it being well cared-for before I got it. E-mail or PM me if you think it won't be a waste of your time.

I can't believe that I'm actually considering owning TWO BMWs!
That silver 2000 is a salvage. :(
 

·
Crazy Canadian
Joined
·
1,095 Posts
01silber said:
Well I tried to help but I better stick to non M info:) sorry for the mis info on the S52
I still can not believe that it had 320hp, that is awesome
It's not the S52 It's the S50.

What are the differences between the S50 and S52 engines?
The North American-spec powerplant, known as the S52, is based closely on the regular production M52 engine. Like that motor, the S52 is a six-cylinder with a cast iron block, aluminum head and four valves per cylinder, with two-stage VANOS variable valve timing on the intake strokes. Unique to the S52 is a bore of 86.4mm and stroke of 89.6mm for a total displacement of 3,152cc. The engine is rated at 240 hp (SAE) at 6,000rpm and 236 lb/ft of torque at 3,800 rpm.
In addition to the larger displacement, the S52 utilizes the following special M components:
-Ported and polished cylinder head
-Retuned VANOS variable valve timing for greater high-rpm power
-Heavy-duty valve springs
-More finely balanced camshafts
-Valve lifters, springs and spring seats with reduced mass
-Free-flowing intake and exhaust systems

The European-spec powerplant, known as the S50 B32, is a much more exotic unit. With a bore of 86.4mm and a stroke of 91mm, the S50 B32 has a total displacement of 3,201cc. Like the S52, it has an iron block and aluminum head with four valves per cylinder. However, the S50 B32 incorporates the following special features to allow it to produce an impressive 321 hp (DIN) at 7,400rpm and 258 lb/ft of torque at 3,250 rpm:
-Individual throttle plates for each cylinder
-Increased compression ratio to 11.3:1
-Advanced BMW/Siemens MSS50 engine management system able to compute 20 million instructions per second
-Double VANOS continuously variable valve timing on both intake and exhaust strokes
-Lightweight pistons
-Dual-mass flywheel
-Graphite-coated conrods
-Larger inlet valves
-Second oil pump
What are the differences between the S50 and S54 engines?
The S54 powerplant of the later M coupes is technically an evolution of the iron-block S50 B32 unit used in all European-spec M coupes built through June of 2000. Although the peak power and torque of the S54 (325 hp at 7,400 rpm and 261 lb/ft of torque at 4,900 rpm) are barely increased compared to the S50 B32 (321 hp at 7,400 rpm and 258 lb/ft of torque at 3,250 rpm), they share few major components and differ in many areas including:
-Increased cylinder bore to 87mm (from 86.1mm) for a new total displacement of 3,246cc (from 3,201cc)
-Modified camshafts
-High pressure Double VANOS continuously variable valve timing system with faster operation at high rpm
-Increased compression to 11.5:1 (from 11.3:1)
-More advanced BMW/Siemens MSS 54 engine management control
-Finger-type rocker arms for reduced reciprocating mass and friction
-One-piece aluminum head casting for lighter weight
-Scavenging oil pump to maintain pressure during heavy cornering

The S50 B32 unit can be is identified by the "BMW M Power" inscription on its cam cover, while the S54 version contains only the "M" badge.
 

·
Crazy Canadian
Joined
·
1,095 Posts
The M Registry website has more info than you'll ever need on the Coupes...

http://www.bmwmregistry.com/model_faq.php?id=17

Basically the only way to get the S50B32 plant is to either import a complete Coupe from Europe or do an engine swap(keep in mind that the engines are getting to be rare and is reflected in the price.) The engines were used in the M3, M Coupe and M Roadster for serveral years.

Good luck on your search! The day mine arrived was a very happy day. My only advice is not to rush into it. I had to look at a few cars closely before I found the one I wanted. One of them had been wrecked and poorly repaired, etc.
 

·
The Anti-Rice
Joined
·
5,394 Posts
I say get an E46 M3 engine and then put a stand alone engine management system on it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
184 Posts
Ben Carufel said:
The silver one in Fullerton sounds like a better deal for you...couple grand less than what I'd be asking for mine :)...but if you feel like spending a bit more for a cherry example of the Coupe, feel free to contact me.
Funny, I inquired about your M Coupe last year when you listed it, but then you went all Cartel and changed the price to 65K. I hope that's not what you mean by "a bit more" :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,318 Posts
robrez said:
Funny, I inquired about your M Coupe last year when you listed it, but then you went all Cartel and changed the price to 65K. I hope that's not what you mean by "a bit more" :eek:
LOL.

Nah, I'm looking for a much more realistic number this time around :).
 

·
Old Timer
Joined
·
751 Posts
I inquired about that silver one in the OC also. The guy never got back to me, but thank god he didn't...hahah! There is also an Imola one that is pretty raced out listed for 19k. The poor chick that bought it didn't know it was crashed/repaired. There are too many things wrong with that car to even list...ben has seen it in person also. what a mess...
 

·
ex-M couper
Joined
·
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
JT///M3 said:
I inquired about that silver one in the OC also. The guy never got back to me, but thank god he didn't...hahah! There is also an Imola one that is pretty raced out listed for 19k. The poor chick that bought it didn't know it was crashed/repaired. There are too many things wrong with that car to even list...ben has seen it in person also. what a mess...
Well, the woman with the silver one in Fullerton got back to me, but i don't think I want to take a chance on it.
There's an Imola Red '01 in Oregon that SEEMS pretty good, but it's a bit out of my price range right now, but I'm keeping it in mind.
There's a very nice Imola '02 with extremely low miles at Towson BMW, but they want new-car money for it.

I guess I'll just concentrate on getting my finances ready while looking. I think I'd be happiest with an S54 since my hot-rodding days are behind me now and I'd leave it pretty much stock. Maybe someone will want a Canon XL-IIs really bad. :bigpimp:

Thanks Bol for all the good info on the differences.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
523 Posts
The 01 Imola Coupe in Oregon is probably the same car I checked on a few weeks ago. I didn't see it in person, but it looked very nice in photos. Seems like it may be a fair deal. It's not a museum piece; it has a few normal "wear & tear" blemishes (small crack in windshield, some stone chips on hood, scratches on one wheel, etc). I asked him for an oil analysis but he didn't have one. Before spending that kind of money, given the S54 bearing concerns, I feel better seeing a Blackstone report on the oil. (If and when I ever sell my S52 coupe, I'll share my oil analysis reports with prospective buyers).

Here's my 2 cents on the coupe prices (based on the months of searching I did prior to buying my S52 coupe). I would be highly cautious of any M coupe that is under $20K. The S52s (realistic non-cartel cars) with reasonable miles (40K to 60K) still seem to be fetching low 20's ($22K +/-). Just to give you one more data point, I bought mine last September for $20.5K (1999, 51K miles) from a private seller who needed cash fast with me knowing that I was going to have to invest another $1200 or so in new tires and getting the wheels refinished. I felt ok knowing that I would have about $22K total in it when I was done. You will always see some folks out there pushing an S52 for mid to upper 20's claiming that all the gadgets that were added increase its value. Good conservative rule of thumb: Dinan mods, etc do not increase the real appraised value of the car one cent. If the mods are valuable to you, feel free to pay a premium for them. But don't expect to successfully pass that cost on to the next guy when its your turn to sell it. :( In terms of investment value, a bone stock S54 will always be more valuable than an S52 even with every aftermarket modification in the world done to the S52. But the current price gap between S52s and S54s is running about $12K +/-. You will have to ask yourself if you are willing to spend an extra $12K or so for owning the rarer and more powerful S54.

Hope this helps.
 

·
Old Timer
Joined
·
751 Posts
TR6 said:
The 01 Imola Coupe in Oregon is probably the same car I checked on a few weeks ago. I didn't see it in person, but it looked very nice in photos. Seems like it may be a fair deal. It's not a museum piece; it has a few normal "wear & tear" blemishes (small crack in windshield, some stone chips on hood, scratches on one wheel, etc). I asked him for an oil analysis but he didn't have one. Before spending that kind of money, given the S54 bearing concerns, I feel better seeing a Blackstone report on the oil. (If and when I ever sell my S52 coupe, I'll share my oil analysis reports with prospective buyers).

Here's my 2 cents on the coupe prices (based on the months of searching I did prior to buying my S52 coupe). I would be highly cautious of any M coupe that is under $20K. The S52s (realistic non-cartel cars) with reasonable miles (40K to 60K) still seem to be fetching low 20's ($22K +/-). Just to give you one more data point, I bought mine last September for $20.5K (1999, 51K miles) from a private seller who needed cash fast with me knowing that I was going to have to invest another $1200 or so in new tires and getting the wheels refinished. I felt ok knowing that I would have about $22K total in it when I was done. You will always see some folks out there pushing an S52 for mid to upper 20's claiming that all the gadgets that were added increase its value. Good conservative rule of thumb: Dinan mods, etc do not increase the real appraised value of the car one cent. If the mods are valuable to you, feel free to pay a premium for them. But don't expect to successfully pass that cost on to the next guy when its your turn to sell it. :( In terms of investment value, a bone stock S54 will always be more valuable than an S52 even with every aftermarket modification in the world done to the S52. But the current price gap between S52s and S54s is running about $12K +/-. You will have to ask yourself if you are willing to spend an extra $12K or so for owning the rarer and more powerful S54.

Hope this helps.
I would say that this info is pretty much on que.
 
1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top