BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me begin by saying that I just recently tried Klasse AIO for the first time and love it, and I don't think Klasse is the cause, but...

When applying AIO, I didn't avoid the back trim as I would have with carnauba. From everything I read, AIO had no negative effects on the trim, and not having to work around it made the job that much faster.

When I was finished, the black trim looked great. Nice even finish, not glossy, but clean.

After a couple of washes, I started to notice the trim looking faded. Not like wax residue, just faded, especially in the areas where I got some AIO on the trim with the PC while I was working.

Last week I tried some Black Again, and again it looked fine. Then it rained here on Thursday, and the fading is back with a vengeance.

Again, I really don't think this is from the Klasse (I love it), but no idea what's causing the fading.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Parts of my rear bumper trim look faded from time to time, but good ol AutoGlym #5 Aside form that, I seem to never see the need to do anything else to the trim to keep it looking decent.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Kaz said:
Parts of my rear bumper trim look faded from time to time, but good ol AutoGlym #5 Aside form that, I seem to never see the need to do anything else to the trim to keep it looking decent.
Is Autoglym #5 the best product for the black plastic trim around the car? What other things do people use? I'm looking for something that I could apply about once every 6 months, not something I need to do every time I wash the car. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

·
racer wannabe
3,311 Posts
There are so many product out there, most will look the same and the only difference is how long they last. I've used Meguiar's, Mother's Back-to-black, Vinylex, Einszett Tiefenpfleger, 303 Aerospace Protectant and Stoner's trim detailer. Meguiar's didn't last through a single rain, Vinylex run on paint after rain, Stoner's and 303 last about the same, BTB is pretty good but the best one is Tiefenpfleger, looks good and is truly water resistant. I like to have a can of Stoner's, because it's aerosol I can quickly detail hard to reach places like mesh grill, etc.

One tip: apply some type of trim protectant before you start polishing or waxing the car, makes cleanup easier.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all - I'll be on the lookout for the AutoGlym and Einszett stuff. I'm really surprised Black Again didn't work - can usually go 6 months or more between applications of that stuff.

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
The AutoGlym stuff is 'professional' use only. The local detailing place breaks the gallon cans down and sells them, though the last time I was there, I was told it has been replaced by a less professional product. It's a cleaning product, not a 're-blacker' or protectant. But with the plastic trim, I've noticed that it's getting dirty is contributing more to discoloration than being out in the sun or something. Maybe because my car sits in covered parking most of the time? :dunno:

·
Living on the redline
27,238 Posts
I Zaino everything and don't have issues with discoloration or fade, the trim stays like new :dunno:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.