BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I had gotten a false sense of security putting on my first coat of Klasse SG. "This isn't so hard," I thought. "What are all those people complaining about?"

I had put that coat on by the book. Do a small section, then wipe off before it dries. Very easy, albeit time-consuming.

For the second coat this weekend, I thought I'd do bigger sections--like a body panel at a time. Big mistake. HUGE.

The SG had dried by the time I finished applying to the entire hood, leaving faint but visible streaks across the entire panel. I employed my PC7424 with a microfiber bonnet to remove the streaks, but it was unsuccessful. I ended up having to polish the panel by hand with a microfiber pad to get the streaks off. Took probably 4x as long as it should have.

For those who are trying Klasse SG for the first time, I can't stress enough how vital it is to do very small sections, and remove it as soon as you wipe it on! The results are fantastic, regardless.

This next weekend I'm hoping to put on the first coat of wax on top using the PC7424.

·
TMS
9,288 Posts
I did my whole car with SG this morning, let it dry for a few hours, then wiped it off. It probably took a total of 40 minutes to apply, then remove. No muss, no fuss...:dunno:

How much product are you putting on your applicator? Under what conditions are you applying it (sun/shade, temperature, humidity)?

(taken Sunday morning after the first coat of SG went on last Saturday afternoon)

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
I did my whole car with SG this morning, let it dry for a few hours, then wiped it off. It probably took a total of 40 minutes to apply, then remove. No muss, no fuss...:dunno:

How much product are you putting on your applicator? Under what conditions are you applying it (sun/shade, temperature, humidity)?

(taken Sunday morning after the first coat of SG went on last Saturday afternoon)
Plus one here amount you are using and temps have a lot to do with it

·
Current 'Fest Addict
944 Posts
I had a similar experience as the OP. Entire car, then wiped it right off. It was about 80 degrees, but it was sunny (I think that's where I went wrong). I tried to use as little as possible, really only reapplyed to my sponge like once or twice.

·
TMS
9,288 Posts
I had a similar experience as the OP. Entire car, then wiped it right off. It was about 80 degrees, but it was sunny (I think that's where I went wrong). I tried to use as little as possible, really only reapplyed to my sponge like once or twice.
If you could do the whole car with only 2-3 applications of product to your applicator, then you are loading up your applicator with too much product.

My 330Ci has 14 areas when it comes to applying SG - the hood and roof each have two halves, then the front fender, door, and rear fender on each side, the trunk lid, the front bumper, and the rear of the car has two halves. I draw a very thin X with SG on my applicator before doing each area of the car. I always work in the shade or in my garage - never in full sunlight (and I wash the car in the morning when my driveway is shaded by the house). I let it dry for anywhere from an hour to overnight, then remove it with an MF towel with an assist from detail spray if needed.

·
Current 'Fest Addict
944 Posts
If you could do the whole car with only 2-3 applications of product to your applicator, then you are loading up your applicator with too much product.

My 330Ci has 14 areas when it comes to applying SG - the hood and roof each have two halves, then the front fender, door, and rear fender on each side, the trunk lid, the front bumper, and the rear of the car has two halves. I draw a very thin X with SG on my applicator before doing each area of the car. I always work in the shade or in my garage - never in full sunlight (and I wash the car in the morning when my driveway is shaded by the house). I let it dry for anywhere from an hour to overnight, then remove it with an MF towel with an assist from detail spray if needed.
I have it divided like that for my other stuff (wax, AIO, even washing).
That's exactly what I'll do next time. Thanks for the advice :) :thumbup:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Was doing this in my garage, approximately 60 degrees. Small MF applicator pad moistened, then used 4 drops per section. Initially I did the whole hood at once--that was a mistake.

Dividing large panels (trunk, hood, roof) into 2 or 3 sections made a huge difference.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts