BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was removing the air components today to enable access to the CCV and upon opening the housing I found a KN air filter.

I was reading on the threads earlier that most would not use this because it is oil based.

I checked the MAF and it looks clean.

My question is: Should I keep since it's already there and If so, what are the cleaning and oiling procedures? I never knew about oiled filters.

It's pretty dirty

·
Registered
477 Posts
Toss the K & N and get the OEM filter.

The oil that's sprayed on the K&N filters have a tendency to have microscopic droplets sucked down the intake to the MAF and other components, where they do damage.

You can get OEM filters online for $10-15.

Why risk a $200 MAF on a questionable, expensive aftermarket part.

·
Corey
707 Posts
I've used a K&N filter for years. I haven't had any problems at all. Maybe some people have had issues, but I haven't

·
Premium Member
17,427 Posts
Buy the OEM air filter. The OEM is already a high volume "free breathing" air filter. Just make sure you get the OEM and not an OE. The OEM has more ribs - larger surface area.

Sell that POS on eBay.

mw

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts

·
Registered
8,775 Posts
K&N will pass more dirt than the OEM paper filter. I've seen extensive testing in a magazine a few years back and dumped my K&N.

·
Registered
8,775 Posts
I think the folks that have MAF problems from the K&N are due to over oiling it and/or not using the recommended K&N oil.

One can get away w/o using the proper oil but not for years. It will accumulate and catch up, over the long term.

·
Thebizzy.com
6,429 Posts
OP as a preventative measure you may also want to get some CNC MAF cleaner and do the MAF cleaning procedure. It's quick and easy and will get rid of any excess oil residue left over from the K&N filter. OEM filters are dirty cheap online and I keep several of them handy and swap often. Cheers! :beerchug:

·
Entwicklung 39
4,136 Posts
I used to be a big K&N fan too. Bought one every time I got another car.

The idea of minute yet still very measurable particles of what is essentially and elementally "sand" floating around in my engine changed my mind quick style.

Even if this occurrence is considered rare, it's just not a chance I'm willing to take. I'm sticking with the OEM paper air filter for my jet black bambino.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.