BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, I know there are multiple threads on knocks and noises from these things but I can't find anything that I can say positively points to mine. I have a 2006 X3 Auto 3ltr Diesel. It started making the usual knocks from the rear end when coming up to traffic lights etc. I had a bit of suspension and front end work needed so I have just had this completed. My tyres are not "star" rated, they are Toyo Proxes 235/50x18. I had found previous to getting the work done that the knocking was variable with tyre pressures.
Now for the fun bit. Now when I turn left there is a noise that sounds like a big end knock coming from the mid to front. This only happens when accelerating from a slow corner. As soon as you straighten the noise is gone. The engine I believe is fine.
This has only started since the suspension and front end work has been done. I thought it may have been something vibrating but I think that is only wishful thinking. From what I have read I can only put it down to the actuator gear or the transfer chain. I've just been out and checked and no codes or lights present. The rear knocking is still there but only occasionally. It would appear to be less now than before.
Any clues would be greatly appreciated.

·
TA
1,212 Posts
Another possibility is a seized U-Joint on the front driveshaft. Usually if it is seized there will be some orange coloured powder around one of the ears of the yoke.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tim, So would that make a sound like that? I've just been out for another drive and it gets better the more you drive it. I might change the transfer case oil and see how that looks as well.

·
TA
1,212 Posts
Thanks Tim, So would that make a sound like that? I've just been out for another drive and it gets better the more you drive it. I might change the transfer case oil and see how that looks as well.
As I understand the noise you are describing, it can make a rapping noise and it could get better as you drive it. I have had to replace both the front and rear driveshafts on my X3. It certainly won't make anything worse by changing the fluid. While you are under there, take a good look at the Ujoints.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Drive shafts ok.
Haven't changed any fluids yet.
Everything that is happening is intermittent.
Is it the tyres?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can get some wheels & tyres off an X5. 255/55x18. The size on mine is 235/50x18. Will these do to see if it is the tyres causing the problem? They have almost new Continentals fitted.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts