BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Can I Scream?
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soooo I'm having an absolute hell of a time replacing my knock sensors. If anyone has any experience with this, could you please, please help me out?

I have the upper intake manifold off, which according to the Bentley is all you have to remove to access the knock sensors. I can see (and nearly reach) the one directly behind the oil filter housing, but I'll need to grab a smaller wrench today.

The other one, near the back of the engine block, I can't even get to, let alone see.

I don't want to do more work than I have to (i.e. ripping out the entire intake), but can't see how else it would be done. Very irritating. :mad: :mad:

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :thumbup:

·
Can I Scream?
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What size wrench did you use to get to it? I'm still having trouble reaching that one alone!

·
Can I Scream?
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I have the right socket and it's 13mm, but I have a 3/8" drive ratchet and couldn't seem to angle it correctly. Did you use something smaller?

I might pick up a set for my 1/2" drive in hopes that will work. Unfortunately, my error code on the ECU is pointing to knock sensor #2 so that one's going to have to be done whether I like it or not :(

·
Can I Scream?
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bump.

Anyone have any tips? Suggestions? STILL having a hell of a time with this!

Do I need to remove the fuel rail?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts