BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when do the expensive Knock Sensors crap out? At what mileage?
Also bmw or OEM (what brand)
Share your experience.

I am currently doing a big job (timing chain/valley pan/cooling system). I recall coming across a few posts on knock sensors. Are these bound to fail? If so? When? I would hate to come back in the next 5k. I would also hate for the job bill to go up haha

I have a non vanos 540i
103k on the clock

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I had to guess? Never.
I am praying hard that your guess is the correct and indisputable answer:bigpimp:

I just remember coming across a couple bad knock sensor posts, and knowing bmw and its long preventative maintenance list :eeps:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
+1
I don't think this is a PM item although while you are there you could check things like the resistance of the sensors and make a determination.
BlueBee has a link/thread on this that gives interesting results. It doesn't answer your question of PM replacement but would tend to read it as a "no, not until there are issues".
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=542640
Thanks! Ill take a look at it :thumbup:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Depending on where they are located and how easy it is to access them, on the e36 you had to take the manifold off to get at them, so if i was in there and they were still the original ones, i threw new ones in for piece of mind so I wouldn't have to go back in there again if they went bad.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Depending on where they are located and how easy it is to access them, on the e36 you had to take the manifold off to get at them, so if i was in there and they were still the original ones, i threw new ones in for piece of mind so I wouldn't have to go back in there again if they went bad.
It's a bit more on the m62. It's basically 2 steps short of a valley pan job. Gotta remove the coolant return tubes that run from the rear accumulator to the WP.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts