BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2006 X3 3ltr Diesel.
Only when it is driven from cold it will make a knocking noise when turning for the first couple of corners and then go away for the rest of the day.
As soon as the wheel is straightened the noise goes. It is worse when turning left.
To explain the noise it sounds like a big end noise.
I recently changed the transfer case fluid and had the underside checked out and had new suspension and lower control arms fitted. There was no metal to speak of in the transfer case oil, just dirty.
I can't seem to find anything on the net that would relate to this, plenty of other clicking noises etc but none like this.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hi, I just logged in to ask the same question, except mine doesn't seem to go away after driving just a little. It started that way, it was only making noise when making sharp turns, particularly to the left. I asked the guys at the tire shop to take a look at the CV joints and suspension and they said it was definitely axle noise but everything looked okay.. They also said they didn't take the CV joint boot off but from a visual inspection everything was ok. So I don't know what to think. It's been going on about 2 weeks has gotten a little worse. Looking forward to any insightful replies, think I'm going to take it somewhere else and ask them to take the boot off to make sure it's not cv joint or something else.

206k miles here, how many on yours?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Just wanted to post an idea in this thread for anyone having the same problem. Went to get my car inspected this morning, mechanic noted that I have a worn left front control arm but he says that is not causing the noise, he says the noise in the steering is caused by some wear and tear on the rack and pinion. He says one day a pin or two will break and it will be about an $800 fix.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts