BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all ..i just noticed today when driving ....i had the windows up and im hearing a knockin noise coming from the front end passenger side..it doesnt seem to affect the alignment cause the car still drives straight with tight steering ..this sounds only happens when im going over bumps ..and its really annoying !!!

can someone please shine some light cause im kinda a newbie and dont know much on the suspensions on these cars ...i have the 15in stock wheels on at the moment
and planning on getting it fix soon before it gets worst ..i dont wanna get rip off cause im pretty broke from buying the car in the first place ..how much does ball joints..links...control arms etc etc usually go for in the price range for my car with labor .i have 96k on it so far and wanna keep it around for a long time

any help & opinions would be great if you guys have a min

Thanks !

·
Registered
50 Posts
It sounds like your brake pads are loose. I used to have the same problem until i put new ones on and then it was fine.

·
Learning all the time
545 Posts
There is an upright rod on each side of the front suspension. I don't know what it's called but it goes on to the front anti roll bar ( or sway bar I think in the US). I replaced both these rods (small ball joint on each end) when I had the same symptoms. Cured it right away. Quite a cheap fix too :)

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
THANKS QUACKERS !
i think you are talking about the sway bar links ?
sounds like it could be those links at the end of the bar can be loose
i had this problem on my bonneville ..and it sorta sounds like the same type of problem
i know its totally different class of cars .but both had the same noise but never effected the alignment ..im gonna get it checked out

how cheap was the fix ?

thanks for your help

·
Learning all the time
545 Posts
That might be it!!! :)
In UK it was only about £30 each side. That's about 60 bucks to you! Lol.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Quick question regarding your problem. Is the sound only while going over small bumps at low speed or does this noise happen while traveling at higher speeds too? One more thing, is the noise just a single knock or is it a lighter clanking / springy sound?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey all ..i just noticed today when driving ....i had the windows up and im hearing a knockin noise coming from the front end passenger side..it doesnt seem to affect the alignment cause the car still drives straight with tight steering ..this sounds only happens when im going over bumps ..and its really annoying !!!

can someone please shine some light cause im kinda a newbie and dont know much on the suspensions on these cars ...i have the 15in stock wheels on at the moment
and planning on getting it fix soon before it gets worst ..i dont wanna get rip off cause im pretty broke from buying the car in the first place ..how much does ball joints..links...control arms etc etc usually go for in the price range for my car with labor .i have 96k on it so far and wanna keep it around for a long time

any help & opinions would be great if you guys have a min

Thanks !
OK, I have finally got my noise problem fixed. It sounds similar to your problem. I broke down and took my car to a BMW dealer. They called me within 20 minutes to advise that I required the thrust arms and bushings replaced. Cost me $1200, but car rides like new, no more clunking, no more steering wheel shimmy while braking at high speeds, no more wheel shimmy while going over train tracks.

·
Realtor
500 Posts
OK, I have finally got my noise problem fixed. It sounds similar to your problem. I broke down and took my car to a BMW dealer. They called me within 20 minutes to advise that I required the thrust arms and bushings replaced. Cost me $1200, but car rides like new, no more clunking, no more steering wheel shimmy while braking at high speeds, no more wheel shimmy while going over train tracks.
It cost you how much to replace your thrust arms? You've gotta be kidding me! Please tell me they did some "extra speacial secret alignment", replaced the "bad air" in your tires, something more than just replacing the upper thrust arms. Anyone else have this done recently so that we can compare prices?

·
Registered
268 Posts
You got owned, hard. Assuming your balljoints were OK, you shoulda spent $80 on powerflex bushings and 1.5-2 hours on labor at an indy and been on your way for under $250.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Problem #1, I'm up here in Canada (eh) and pricing is going to be higher. Problem #2, had this symtom originally diagnosed at an indy and they screwed me big time, couldn't find the problem, but replaced a bunch of stuff and left me with a big bill. Problem #3, I was fed up, took it to a BMW dealer and had them fix it right (and they did). They replaced both thrust arms including the ball joints and bearings. I agree, I got shafted, but the main thing is all the problems have been solved and I am a happy camper, yes out of pocket some pretty good coin and wife is pissed off at me for having a Bimmer, but I'm still happy.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Problem #1, I'm up here in Canada (eh) and pricing is going to be higher. Problem #2, had this symtom originally diagnosed at an indy and they screwed me big time, couldn't find the problem, but replaced a bunch of stuff and left me with a big bill. Problem #3, I was fed up, took it to a BMW dealer and had them fix it right (and they did). They replaced both thrust arms including the ball joints and bearings. I agree, I got shafted, but the main thing is all the problems have been solved and I am a happy camper, yes out of pocket some pretty good coin and wife is pissed off at be for having a Bimmer, but I'm still happy.
Oh ya, they did replace the bindle roater and the fu-fu valve. They also cleaned out my sludge pump ;-)

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Oh ya, they did replace the bindle roater and the fu-fu valve. They also cleaned out my sludge pump ;-)
Before you replaced your Control arms....... Did you feel the popping/clunking noise over small bumps while going very slowly????

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yup, they always SAY the Bindle Roater and Fu Fu valve need changing but I think you'll find they were actually ok. I should go back and demand they show you the old BR & FFV they took off.

Glad you got your car back fixed and better. Have a good weekend.

BH

·
Registered
447 Posts
You got owned, hard. Assuming your balljoints were OK, you shoulda spent $80 on powerflex bushings and 1.5-2 hours on labor at an indy and been on your way for under $250.
Actually If you do change the bushings only it does not last very long... its overall better to do Arm+bushing combo.

Just fyi if you got brand new arms with bushings and labour from an indy its about 600-700 dollars with tax here in canada.

Consider the dollar conversion and also the parts are about 1.3 - 1.6x as much as us...

·
Freude am Fahren
6,378 Posts
Actually If you do change the bushings only it does not last very long... its overall better to do Arm+bushing combo.

Just fyi if you got brand new arms with bushings and labour from an indy its about 600-700 dollars with tax here in canada.

Consider the dollar conversion and also the parts are about 1.3 - 1.6x as much as us...
Yeah, f'ing 1000 for a cooling system. Bah. Still pissed mine went so soon :lol:

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Lol

Sway bar links... causing the rattle, and if one side is gone, replace both, face it they both drive on the same roads, so it is just a matter of time (short) before the drivers side fails, in reinstalling it I'd be liberal with the synthetic grease too...

and ya for a smaller 5 25- 28-30 $1200 is stupid money...for the 540i (sport) there is a lot more involved to do it correctly. So, I think you got boned on that one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the problem you listed as a reply - popping/clunking sound while going slowly over small bumps. I have a 2001 540i and have already spent about $600 to no avail - do you think the best bet is the thrust arms and bushings? I'm a newbie to these discussions - any insight you could give would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
75 Posts
There is an upright rod on each side of the front suspension. I don't know what it's called but it goes on to the front anti roll bar ( or sway bar I think in the US). I replaced both these rods (small ball joint on each end) when I had the same symptoms. Cured it right away. Quite a cheap fix too :)
Mine was just the same, Cured!
Ian

1 - 19 of 19 Posts