BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being that most of you guys know what you are talking about as far as different subject matter concerning BMW's,(right THE HACK,oil release valve).Maybe you can answer me this.
On the 01 330ci there are two hindge doors about 4" long X 2" high under the long lateral by the fog lights in the second regtangular opening from each side.These doors are not spring loaded they close by there own weight. What is the purpose of these doors????
Thanks in advance
vern
ps I'm sorry I don't have pictures for you

·
5,820 Posts
atyclb said:
I think this was discussed here before..I don't remember what the answer was though :(
I even posted pictures, but I think we never figured out what they were.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
We can probably draw a few conclusions...

It's not spring loaded, so it'll likely OPEN at higher speeds, where aerodynamic forces will push the door open. Now, it does NOT lead to the air intake baffle nor does it lead to the brake cooling duct, so the only conclusion I can draw is that it neither help the breathing of the engine nor cooling down the brakes. However, given that it is closed at lower speeds and likely open at higher speed, I think I can draw this conclusion: It is there as part of the aerodynamics for the coupe to aid high speed stability (air flowing through the lower air dam to create down force) while at lower speeds it's closed to decrease drag.

If indeed that's what the door is designed for, it's actually pretty clever.

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
johnlew said:
I even posted pictures, but I think we never figured out what they were.
Do you still have that picture by chance ? I'd like to see it, maybe I post it on the german board to see what they have to say.

·
5,820 Posts
Alex Baumann said:
Do you still have that picture by chance ? I'd like to see it, maybe I post it on the german board to see what they have to say.
I thought I had it at Roadfly, but I can't seem to get in there today and my links to their don't work. Maybe I've been deleted. I'll see if I can find something though.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alex

Did you post anything about the two doors on yhe German boards???
Thanks vern

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
Re: Alex

vern said:
Did you post anything about the two doors on yhe German boards???
Thanks vern
Vern, I posted the pic. As soon as I have an answer, I'll post it here.

Alex

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alex

Thanks for the reply.I hope we get a answer
vern

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Knowledgeable people

Where are they with the answers????????
vern

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
Re: Knowledgeable people

vern said:
Where are they with the answers????????
vern
Vern, unfortunately no reply on the other board. Nobody seems to have an idea. Sorry. :dunno:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts