BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Gary,

On your configurator, you recently added the Kosei K1 Racings in a 17x8.5 et40 fittiment, only on the e90 330i non-sport. I really wanted to get a set of Kosei 17's from you, for autocrossing duty on my sport equipped e90 330i. The brakes are the same size, so that shouldn't be an issue. There is a ride height difference though, by 20mm in the rear.

Any idea if I can get these wheels for my car? Also, I'd like to get the most tire in the wells. I'm thinking of possibly 275/40/17's in back. I know it will be tight, but the et40 of the Koseis will give me a 3mm shift away from the fender, inward. I wanted to get the outside edge of the tire "back out there".

As for the front, I was planning to do some testing, to see if I could get 245/40/17's up there, and since it has a bit more room than the e46, I don't think it will be an issue. Also, the extra width of that tire will bring it out closer to the fender, seeing the OEM offset up front is et34 at 18x8.

What do you think?

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
I'm interested too since I'd like to run 17's for my winter setup for my sport E90. All the 17's TR lists for the non-sport E90 are 40 offsets. :D

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
LarryN said:
Sure am, Vince. :)
Ha! Congrats on the E90! :rofl:

Reason I clicked on this thread is Kosei. I just ordered a set yesterday after contemplating between Team Dynamics, Kosei, Volk Racing and Speedline. TD is always on back order although I like their prices and design. VR is beyond my budget although they are very sexy and light for track. Speedline is no longer sold through TireRack but still a popular track wheel in Europe.importing them over will be a nightmare. Since I need a set by July hence, went with Kosei.

What tires are you autoxing with?

·
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mr Paddle.Shift said:
Ha! Congrats on the E90! :rofl:

Reason I clicked on this thread is Kosei. I just ordered a set yesterday after contemplating between Team Dynamics, Kosei, Volk Racing and Speedline. TD is always on back order although I like their prices and design. VR is beyond my budget although they are very sexy and light for track. Speedline is no longer sold through TireRack but still a popular track wheel in Europe.importing them over will be a nightmare. Since I need a set by July hence, went with Kosei.

What tires are you autoxing with?
Thanks for the congrats on the car. I put the first couple thousand miles on it already, going across Europe. I can't wait for re-delivery!

Haven't decided what tires yet. It all depends on what I can stuff in the wheel well. The e90's stock sport 18"s are really nice looking, but have to be really heavy. I wanted to get rid of unsprung weight and downsize to 17's, if possible. I'm contemplating the Kosei K1's or the OZ Superleggera. The Kosei's a cheaper (I'm on a budget after the new car/vacation) and a bit lighter. Plus, once I get rid of the run-flats, I could easily lose 15-20lbs from each corner, which should reap huge benefits on turn-in and accelleration.

I have some 75% there Falken Azenis Sports in the attic, but I think I'll only be able to use the 245/45/17's up front (which were used in the rear on the e46). I may try the new Hankook tires that people are trying out this year, but only in back, if the Azenis fit up front. Since the Falkens have pretty good turning abilities, I can go for max adhesion in back, and go with a different brand. Tire Rack has a few different options, or I can try the new Azenis RT-615, if they have sizes available that I can use now.

I've decided to run non-R's this year, since I already ran two events with the e46 this season with the stock crappy Conti Sport Contacts that came with the car. Those tires really stink though. I was really lucky it rained for both of those events, and I was able to get a 1st and 2nd in my class.

What are you considering for tires?

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Hey Larry,

You know I have a fixation on certain things, ie Alpina etc. The way I look at it is if I decide to try something new and I don't like it, I will have to drive it for 25K miles to wear them out. To me that's like visiting the dentist everyday.

My soft spot is the Michs. After really driving them hard at the tracks and an earlier, rather adventurous argricultural wall excursion, made me realized the Michs are worth the price. I am sure other brands will hold up as well just that I tend to be fixated on one brand. Started out with PS when I first got my car and now I have PS2 for street. For track, I have Cups.

In anycase, either OZs or Koseis are good buy. Consider Team Dynamics if you don't mind the wait. They are light and race proven too. Also flip through a copy of Grassroot Motorsports magazine if you can. They have some ads for track wheels too.

PS: you didn't see any Alpinas on the road in Europe did you?

LarryN said:
What are you considering for tires?

·
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mr Paddle.Shift said:
PS: you didn't see any Alpinas on the road in Europe did you?
I was supposed to hook up with Alex, and we were going to thrash each others whips. ;) unfortunately, that didn't happen. That's closest I came to an Alpina. Heck, I didn't even see another e90 in Spain at all, and I drove more than 500 miles there, and stayed for 9 days in Barcelona, Valencia, and Madrid. My car got some looks though. :)

Thanks for the tip on Grassroot Motorsports zine. I'll check it out.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Here's the real scoop. AlexB is just afraid that you might stain his creamy white interior! If I were you, I would camp outside his garage. He's gonna open the garage door some day! :rofl:

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
LarryN said:
I didn't even see another e90.
I have yet to see another one on the road after 1800 mi in the US! :) ... other than at the dealer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
LarryN said:
Hi Gary,

On your configurator, you recently added the Kosei K1 Racings in a 17x8.5 et40 fittiment, only on the e90 330i non-sport. I really wanted to get a set of Kosei 17's from you, for autocrossing duty on my sport equipped e90 330i. The brakes are the same size, so that shouldn't be an issue. There is a ride height difference though, by 20mm in the rear.

Any idea if I can get these wheels for my car? Also, I'd like to get the most tire in the wells. I'm thinking of possibly 275/40/17's in back. I know it will be tight, but the et40 of the Koseis will give me a 3mm shift away from the fender, inward. I wanted to get the outside edge of the tire "back out there".

As for the front, I was planning to do some testing, to see if I could get 245/40/17's up there, and since it has a bit more room than the e46, I don't think it will be an issue. Also, the extra width of that tire will bring it out closer to the fender, seeing the OEM offset up front is et34 at 18x8.

What do you think?
We haven't yet test fitted a sport package car, but from what I understand it should not be a problem. We will have more information shorter (I hope) so that I can give you a more concrete answer. It seems as if clearance is similar to the E46 cars, meaning 255/40R17 should be find in the rear, with larger sizes needing some fender modification. Fronts 235/40R17 should be okay, wider sizes might need some fender rolling or fender liner trimming. We're just in the beginning phases of trying out stuff on this car, so I don't have much info yet, sorry.

·
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We haven't yet test fitted a sport package car, but from what I understand it should not be a problem. We will have more information shorter (I hope) so that I can give you a more concrete answer. It seems as if clearance is similar to the E46 cars, meaning 255/40R17 should be find in the rear, with larger sizes needing some fender modification. Fronts 235/40R17 should be okay, wider sizes might need some fender rolling or fender liner trimming. We're just in the beginning phases of trying out stuff on this car, so I don't have much info yet, sorry.
Thanks Gary! I'll be ordering the wheels from you guys today :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
LarryN said:
Thanks Gary! I'll be ordering the wheels from you guys today :)
If you order them, either call me direct or reference 'gary/bimmerfest' as your 'previous contact' so that I can add notes to the order that you will be test fitting the wheels since we aren't yet 100% sure of the fitment.

You can bolt the wheels on to test fit clearance, but still ship them back for credit minus shipping as long as they aren't driven on or damaged.

Wheels
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BN4&url=/wheels/index.jsp

·
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you order them, either call me direct or reference 'gary/bimmerfest' as your 'previous contact' so that I can add notes to the order that you will be test fitting the wheels since we aren't yet 100% sure of the fitment.

You can bolt the wheels on to test fit clearance, but still ship them back for credit minus shipping as long as they aren't driven on or damaged.

Wheels
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BN4&url=/wheels/index.jsp
Cool! Thanks. I did a european delivery, so I was planning on having them ready for when the car gets redelivered in 3-5 weeks now. I'll hold off on mounting any tires to them, so that I can return them, if they don't work. I agree that they should work though. It's just a matter of what size tires to use. The e90 does have more room.

·
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Gary,

Got them mounted with tires, and they fit fine on a e90 330i with sport suspension, even with a good bit fatter tires...

Thought you'd want confirmation so that you can update the website. Thanks for all your help, and it was good talking with you the other day.

-Larry

1 - 16 of 16 Posts