Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if this was already discussed or not, but BMW is going back (somewhat) on two much discussed decisions they took quite some time ago.

1. It is now possible to pick certain models and certain trims (not just //M cars) and order them with go flat tires.

2. It seems that at least V8 engines are being shipped with analog old school oil dipstick.

It took them more than 10 years to backpedal on both issues, but I am glad that they realized they are important to some customers. I think (far from being sure) that they correctly assumed the percentage of the customers who will not be happy (very, very low) with both changes being forced upon them. What BMW totally miscalculated (IMO, again) is just how strongly will that low percentage feel about it.

Look, I am not going into who is right and who is wrong. I am simply glad that BMW is offering a choice. There is no incompatibility that says that, once you have a physical dipstick you cannot have electronic level measuring system. Also, these being street cars, there is no reason whatsoever to not offer go flat tires to customers who want them.

I wish they will expand that on the whole range of at least cars they make. Can't care less what they do with SUVs, frankly.

Now imagine how cool would it be if we could also chose turbo-less inline 6 that is current in everything and pay the fine BMW will be charged for emissions.

While at that, imagine how cool would it be to be able to order a Porsche with air cooled flat 6 and no turbos ;)

What do you think? Does BMW deserve kudos for offering choices back to customers?

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Not gonna happen.The last NA bmw was a E93 M3 that rolled off the line six years ago for the rest of the world. There was also a US specific NA Inline six in the F10 on the early versions.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
I will give them credit for returning those aspects although now I can see the complaints about not having full spares etc (probably minority of minority but still).

NAs are done (for bmw if not in general). Not enough power and consume too much fuel comparatively.

2001 750iL DD74441
Stock

RIP: 2003 540iA Sport GS56111
H&R front springs, Ultimate Cup Holder, Euro Dash & Armrest, Grom, BavSound Stage1

1 - 3 of 3 Posts