BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
RockStar!
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats going on everyone so i put together this diy and if anyone has any questions please let me know.

i did this to my l7 that was not producing any bass but the other 3 channels are working.

you will need to buy 2 things . re-q 3 and a 2 ch mono amp. make sure u dont get a powerfull amp u dont want to blow your speakers .

1.first thing you need to do is get the amp wireing kit and set it up to your car. see where you want to mount the amp.what i suggest is take a messurement of the inside of the spare wheel and get an amp that smaller so you can install it out of sight.make sure you get a good amp kit and crimp all the wires. it will make install very easy.

2. remove the negative terminal on the battery before you connect any wire.

3.you need to do is remove the spare and take out the carpet and cover ontop of it.also you need to remove the side carpet cover on the driver side this is to access the wires .
i added a pic of the empty trunk.

4.after you disconnected your negative terminal on the battery remove the amp and unplug it.and pull the wire bar out to you so u can see it more easily.

5.you need to tap into the wires coming out of your amp that u justy disconnected i included a pic f the wire colors and what they are. my bass speakers were not working so i tapped into the rear speakers. i tapped the negative to the left speaker wire and the positive to the right speaker wire.

6. now get youe req 3 and connect all the wires. you will not need everywire on the req 3
how i connected it.

blue- this is the remote out and it goes to your amp 12v switched source

brown/black- this is the negative speaker wire that you will need to tap into coming out of the l7

brown- this is the positive speaker wire that you will need to tap into coming out of the l7.

red- this wire you have to connect to a switched 12v source on your car. make sure its something that goes off when you shut off the ignition.

black - ground. you can ground to anywhere in the chassis .

yellow-this is a constant 12v and it comes with a fuse . make sure you connect the fuse inline with this wire and connect the wire the battery psoitive terminal.

7.after you connected all of the wires above look for a good place to mount the re-q i found that above the navi unit is the best.

8. get your new aftermarket amp out and the wireing kit.

9. connect the rca cable from the req to the input on ure amp. then connect the right and left channel out to the sub speakers coming out of the l7. i cut them completly i didnt tap into them but you can do what u like.

10.connect the blue wire coming out of the re-q to the aftermarket amp terminal that reads 12v switched. its usually between the negative and positive terminal.

11.connect the possitive wire from your amp to your battery making sure you installed the fuse that came with the amp wiring kit.

12. now connect the negative terminal back in. but dont put anything back yet. go into the car put the key in and make sure your radio is turned down all the way. go into the sound settings in ure i drive and hit reset. you can still use the bars but for now just reset . now shut the car off and pull out the key. make sure the req and amp are both off. if not then u need to find another 12v switch source. if you dont you will have a dead battery.

13.turn down the gain on ure aftermarket amp to 0 and make sure that all the x over are turned down as well. now go to the re-q and put everything in the middle. crank up your radio about 75% of the way now slowly raise the gain on the aftermarket amp. dont go to far just enought so you can hear the bass. now play around with the adjustment nobs on ure req and amp. till you get a clean bass. this will take a few min but be patient. after your all set turn it up to full volume on ure cd player. now check and make sure the gain on the aftermarket isnt too loud you dont want to blow up anything. once thats done go into the sound setting on ure i drive and adjust the soudn the way you want it. turning down the aftermarket amp when it gets too loud. and your done enjoy

Attachments

·
Registered
363 Posts
U da man!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Where did you run the red wire on the Re-q to for 12v switched on?

·
Registered
119 Posts
i didnt yet i hooked it up to the l7 power supply but its a 12v constant . so i am going to do a few more checks and see where i can get a good 12v switched. but everything is works
hey rokstar thanks for the info:thumbup: i was having this same problem and my audio shop bridged both my subs to one signal on my amp seeing that one was not functioning.. causing my sound to be distorted..im thinking about trying this and add a 2channel amp but i also want to replace my factory subs with 8'' kickers..(good idea or what)?

·
RockStar!
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hey rokstar thanks for the info:thumbup: i was having this same problem and my audio shop bridged both my subs to one signal on my amp seeing that one was not functioning.. causing my sound to be distorted..im thinking about trying this and add a 2channel amp but i also want to replace my factory subs with 8'' kickers..(good idea or what)?
thats my next step i want to install new sub speakers it will sound sick

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
thats my next step i want to install new sub speakers it will sound sick
thanks for the info!!!! i just recently replaced by Logic 7 amp with another working one. Before the replacement my right front speakers would crack or pop and the subs were completely not working. Now with the new Logic 7 installed my speakers seem to be working fine and made a Huge difference to the sound but the subs are still not working and the rear speakers are still off. KEIF suggested to replace the aks as well. i might just replace all the speakers and the subs from the car that i have in my yard because that system is working just fine. i was thinking about adding a small 8 or 10 inch sub in the rear. what are you thoughts on that?

·
RockStar!
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
which rear speakers arent working ? the door or the ones next to the rear window. if its the one on the rear windows then yes its ure ask if its the door then its ure l7. also if you have no bass still its ure amp . the front door speakers are controlled by the ask so if thats not working u need a new ask.is the center channel still working also ? i might have a fix for you

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
which rear speakers arent working ? the door or the ones next to the rear window. if its the one on the rear windows then yes its ure ask if its the door then its ure l7. also if you have no bass still its ure amp . the front door speakers are controlled by the ask so if thats not working u need a new ask.is the center channel still working also ? i might have a fix for you
its the speakers right next to the rear windows. i'm gonna tell keif to read this post as he is the guy i go to for all my issues!! :bigpimp:

·
Registered
718 Posts
Excellent write up Iroc. I just received the REQ 5 and am planning to install everything next week. Right now I'm in the middle of a custom build sub box for 2 12" IDQs. One thing I would suggest guys is look into the REQ5 also. It's priced at 89-110 bucks depending where you buy. This will give you the ipod hook up with control knob, more control over tuning, x-over abilities etc. This is in no way meant to take away from the OP's suggestion, trust me he has helped me out and we have exchanged some good info in his posts. I only wanted to mention REQ5 so you get the best of both worlds without the more expensive Ipod kit.

·
RockStar!
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes you can connect an ipod but you wont be able to play it on all the speakers. Remember th front speakers are controlled by the ask. The req 5 is good if your l7 is not working on any channel then you can use the req5 to hook up either 1 5ch amp or 1 2ch mono amp and 3ch amp to run the regular speakers. But it will be biatch to get it set up with the front speakers.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Yes you can connect an ipod but you wont be able to play it on all the speakers. Remember th front speakers are controlled by the ask. The req 5 is good if your l7 is not working on any channel then you can use the req5 to hook up either 1 5ch amp or 1 2ch mono amp and 3ch amp to run the regular speakers. But it will be biatch to get it set up with the front speakers.
I'm only going for the sub install so no need to tap into those front speakers. REQ does suggest you tap into at least one full range speaker though as you and I discussed. So I'll follow suit, install amp and sub from there.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.