BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
BMW 523i Executive automatic E60, N52
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Looking with Inpa at some parameters of the engine, I found something that disturbed me......
Now I know there are lambda sensors not giving 0,1 to 0,9 volt and do "more voltage", but I do know the first probes just go up and down and the second, behind the catalytic converter, should be more of a straight line.

Now on my car, is shown in the picture below, the FIRST probes just have a straight line and the second probes just go up and down al the time. That is backwards and I can't really explain.
I mean; if the first one is a straight line (always in the 1,93 volt for both) the second one can not be going up and down; the converter does not do that.

So......they are connected backwards? I looked and it seems impossible someone switched the connectors as they are way to far apart.
Could it just be a glitch in Inpa, a bug or something?
Has anyone ever looked at this on his or her car and did you have the same thing?

I'm trying to put Ista on my laptop too, but the only serious link I have, is a 111Gb download and my laptop just won't take it. So I can not check.

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
It looks like you are running MSV70 which is the correct DME file for an N52. In a previous life as an engine calibrator, collected data on the switching frequency of the front and rear O2 sensor and the ratio would help calculate the the performance of the catalyst. Your right that the front sensor has a high switching freq. than the rear as free O2 is used up in the cat. to make H2O & CO2. I’m not sure how INPA scales the O2 sensor read out but if I get a chance I’ll check my E90 N52.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm indeed using MSV70.
I tried the toolset, but have no clue as of what to do with that, sorry........
Thanks again!
I think you are fine. My N52 shows the same. It’s been quite a few years since I’ve calibrate an engine and had dig into the deep recesses of brain. BMW is a wide band A/F sensor not a narrow band O2. The lambda set point is 1 which is stoic (MWB1). I don’t have lambda curves to A/F and don’t want to go into a dissertation about wideband O2 but this link will help.

Funny how this stuff still peaks my interest after all these years. Hope it helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts