BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, A friend of mine is suggesting I install a Lamborgini door kit on my 2000 coupe to make the doors swing upward (vertically) instead of outward (horizontally) - suggesting it would be really 'Kool'. Any thoughts on that idea?

·
Registered
652 Posts
Absolutely not -- looks like a total gimmick.

·
24/7 Bimmer Addict
514 Posts
I would not change to the Lambhorgini door kit (My $.02)

·
Old Timer
751 Posts
wow man, I've considered this myself and I think it would look pretty badass. let us know what kit you find and if its any good. some kits require cutting and welding (not cool). But if there is a kit that is just plug n play then I might be game. Whats more exotic that putting exotic doors on an already unique car.

·
Investigative Tinkerer
5,011 Posts
rjcoston said:
I'd pass on that mod.
I'd cross the street to avoid it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
JoeZ said:
I like them
I had a smart-a$$ reply, but thought better of it.

Actually I saw them at the SEMA show, and they look pretty cool. I just don't think they'd look good on a Z3. That, and customizing your car that much would (IMN2BHO) drop the resale value through the floor.

Just my $.02

·
aka Turd Ferguson
1,406 Posts
I think I saw an episode of PIMP MY RIDE where WEST COAST CUSTOMS but the doors on a POS...and it was a simple bracket. The replacment brackets were like $1500 and they simple bolt on to your existing chassis and door and voila your doors swing up and away.

I would prolly check the WCC site or MTV site and call them up. This used to be a major mod...but I think it has been simplified.

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
It's been done. I think at least twice. Check bimmerforums.

I personally don't like the look, nor the function (others door-ding me, not the other way around).
To each his own, but I know I could find many places where I'd rather spend money on the car.

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
zoran said:
Those were roadsters I think. Don't think it was ever done on a coupe, but could be wrong.
That's correct, the ones I recall seeing were roadsters and not coupes. But I can picture it in my mind, and it looks just as goofy to me on the coupe as it does on the roadster. :) But that's just MHO; the only person that needs to like it is the owner. The coupe is sexy w/o the lambo doors, if you ask me. Makes me wonder if Kufa's friend has envy and wants him to make it look like a poseur. :)

·
aka Turd Ferguson
1,406 Posts
At this year's BIMMERFEST 2005

1 - 20 of 34 Posts