BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
10,856 Posts
I have to say that while I'm really not particularly opposed to the idea in principle, I really do wonder what happens to, say, medical devices when they use these. And data corruption is another issue, although not *quite* as important. On the other hand, I guess it beats trying to shoot the tires out in a crowded area. :p

·
Here since day one
7,187 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
I have to say that while I'm really not particularly opposed to the idea in principle, I really do wonder what happens to, say, medical devices when they use these. And data corruption is another issue, although not *quite* as important. On the other hand, I guess it beats trying to shoot the tires out in a crowded area. :p
Good point, I was thinking what it could possibly do if it was used to stop a Mercedes with DBW braking ... :yikes:

I think it's an awesome idea and will definitely make it safer for both the police and innocent people that could be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I love the idea, and have wondered why we didn't have this years ago. But then you look at the "bad side"... and wonder how long until it falls into the hands of people who shouldn't have it. Bring a whole new meaning to carjacking/robbing.

·
Not Wearing Pants
13,832 Posts
OBS3SSION said:
I love the idea, and have wondered why we didn't have this years ago. But then you look at the "bad side"... and wonder how long until it falls into the hands of people who shouldn't have it. Bring a whole new meaning to carjacking/robbing.
Yes, already formulating my plans...muhahahahah

·
Registered
346 Posts
blueguydotcom said:
Yes, already formulating my plans...muhahahahah
BMWs already have an electronic device which can be used to immobilize the car and render the driver senseless...

it's called i-Drive

·
Banned
9,901 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
I have to say that while I'm really not particularly opposed to the idea in principle, I really do wonder what happens to, say, medical devices when they use these.
I'd guess probably nothing of significance. All the mechanical components that have critical synchronization issues (valves/pistons, that sort of thing) are mechanically synchronized (camshafts are chain-driven off the crankshaft, for example).

However, there are scad of solid-state electronic components all over the engine that could be fried by a damaging EMP. Things like hall-effect sensors (quite a few of them -- cams, crank, etc.) could be destroyed just like the ECU. Also, all the other computing modules in the car are at risk too.

So, even though the mechanicals might be fine, there's a good chance from a cost standpoint the car's pretty trashed.

Keep in mind this is all just somewhat ejumacated speculashun on my part. Nyuk nyuk. :D

·
Grumpy and Cynical
7,639 Posts
My questions are 1) how focused is the beam? What's the range? 2) What's the effectiveness vs ten+ years old vehicles 3) How many 10+ year old vehicles are on the road verse newer vehicles? 4) What is the effect on pacemakers and other medical devices nearby?

Ed

·
Any ride will do
17,472 Posts
-How do you prevent it from taking out the bystander (or bydriver) cars?
-How do you prevent it from taking out the pursuing cop cars? :p

·
10,856 Posts
RKT BMR said:
I'd guess probably nothing of significance. All the mechanical components that have critical synchronization issues (valves/pistons, that sort of thing) are mechanically synchronized (camshafts are chain-driven off the crankshaft, for example).

However, there are scad of solid-state electronic components all over the engine that could be fried by a damaging EMP. Things like hall-effect sensors (quite a few of them -- cams, crank, etc.) could be destroyed just like the ECU. Also, all the other computing modules in the car are at risk too.

So, even though the mechanicals might be fine, there's a good chance from a cost standpoint the car's pretty trashed.

Keep in mind this is all just somewhat ejumacated speculashun on my part. Nyuk nyuk. :D
Of course you'd have to actually read my question. MEDICAL devices getting trashed are a MUCH bigger deal than totalling a car.

·
Grumpy and Cynical
7,639 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
Of course you'd have to actually read my question. MEDICAL devices getting trashed are a MUCH bigger deal than totalling a car.
Exactly. I read that the device can stop a car from about 50 meters. However, how will pacemakers and such, be affected at 50m? 100m? 200?

Ed

·
A sudden sense of liberty
3,939 Posts
MR325iT said:
BMWs already have an electronic device which can be used to immobilize the car and render the driver senseless...

it's called i-Drive
The most recent article on that site (http://www.lacar.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=277) regarding making non-hybrids look like hybrids mirrors something I've wondered about for a while. Here in VA, hybrid cars get something much better than free parking--they get to go in the HOV lanes on I-395 with only one occupant (normally, you need 3 in the car to use the lanes, and it's $1000 if you get caught with too few people).

Some hybrids have special "CF" license plates, but I've seen others that don't, so it doesn't look like you need those to go in the lanes. What would stop a nefarious Civic driver from grabbing some Hybrid badges (and, for authenticity, the wheels and front clip) and using the lanes?

The Escape should be even easier--I don't think there are any external differences, other than badging, compared to the gas version.

Would the police believe in a hybrid M3 or WRX? Somehow, I doubt it.

·
M Mad
10,475 Posts
Another thought. How about the newer cars with brake by wire and steer by wire? Imagine, they pop one of those on the CA freeway and cause a 100+ car pileup. Imagine the lawsuits. :)

And if you can make such a device, you can harden the computer system to prevent it.

But from outside the car it is difficult anyway, since the car body acts as a Faraday cage. A small amount of RF inside the car can be very disruptive, it takes a LOT more from outside.

But some cars are more susceptable than others. Earlier Camrys could be killed with a simpe 2m ham radio at 50 watts output into an omni direction antenna. :)

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Pinecone said:
And if you can make such a device, you can harden the computer system to prevent it.
Probably. I hear that Air Force One is able to withstand the EM pulses of nuclear explosions. But then again, how many convenience store robbers are going to "harden" their cars against an EMP cannon.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.