BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently bought an E39 R reg 520i SE. The day after purchase the clutch pedal developed alot of vibration and what I can only describe as a slusing sound while clutch pedal is pressed. This only happened during 1st and 2nd gear.

Today whilst parked at the supermarket another shopper pointed out that the car was leaking. A hugh stream of fluid was running away from the car from what looked like the radiator. I put water in and drove very slowly home. The car did not over heat and no engine management lights. The clutch stopped making the slushing sound but is now a metallic whine on each gear change. Does anyone have any guesses as to what it could be. The radiator was replaced by the previous owner in January this year. Could the leak be related to the clutch problem?

Any help or advice would be reatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
Unfortunately you will have to open the hood and check yourself where the leak is coming. By the sound of it, you pointed the fluid loss to the cooling system. Could be, but you gave absolutely no indication what color the fluid is. Also there could be 2 different unrelated isuues.
Your description is lacking big time. There are too many things that can leak any sort of fluids.
Water is not good for your cooling system. If the water is hard or has phosphate in it, you have to replace/flush the coolant ASAP.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I looked under the bonnet and could see that the leak was somewhere around the radiator but could not tell if it was the radiator itself or some where from the hoses. As for colour, it looked like dirty water with rainbow (oil or coolant), on fingers it looked black and oily. I let the engine cool down and checked the radiator reservoir and clear fluid came out as soon as the cap was off and then the fluid drained riht down. I then added water and coolant and checked for a leak but nothing more came out. Looks like it is only leaking when I park. The clutch then stopped slushing.

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
Something is wrong with your car.
The coolant should be blue.
If there is oil in the coolant, that would point to a major engine work (head gasket)
I have a feeling you have an oil leak around either the oil filter housing or from the power steering reservoir. You might have lost some coolant somwhere from a faulty cooling component. That coolant probably dripped along the oil soaked parts of your engine (bay) and on the ground it might look like coolant mixed with oil.
Also, I believe you added too much water.
You have to make sure your cooling system is up to snuff, which I believe is not.
Also, check from where you have oil leak(s).
Make sure you isolate all your problems, and tackle them right away.
The cooling system is major. You won't be driving that car more than a week and she will be toast.
If you loose power steering fluid, you will end up with low power steering fluid level and you might loose your steering rack - expensive.
The oil (ATF) that's dripping from your power steering reservoir, if it starts leaking into the alternator, that one will give up the gost soon as well. Another expensive fix.
It might be nothing, but you have to check. Clean the whole engine, have the belly pan removed, and then start tracing where the leak(s) are coming from.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I have the car going to the garage tomorrow. I had another look and can see the ATF hose is wet. Worst thing is I bought the car as my Civic as developed a fault with the steering rack for the forth time. Will see what tomorrow brings.

Thanks for your replies.

·
Registered
393 Posts
thanks for updating, I just wanted to mention you said you opened the radiator cap and water came up and out. If that's what happened then you just introduced air into the system. You must bleed the system or you will have more problems down the road. Just a heads up. this can be catastrophic. If you do a search for bleeding a 540 you should be able to find a good write-up on the procedure. Its a little more complicated than it sounds.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.