BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
TMS
9,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
June 1st is the first day of winter here down under. I went for a walk tonight out through The Rocks and under the Harbour Bridge. There were a lot of wedding parties out there tonight getting photographed, probably 4 or 5. The weather is beautiful - around 21 or so (70 deg farenheit). I want to go over to Manly tomorrow and explore some.

Yesterday we had a team building exercise/celebration. The company hired 3 38-40' sailboats and we had a race among 3 teams. Unfortunately the wind failed to cooperate and it wasn't much of a race. Our boat came in 2nd. Afterwards we hit a bar over in Darling Harbour for drinks and appetizers. On the company

I think I'm going to like it here

·
TMS
9,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Opera House was getting shadows cast on it by the bridge - the sun was low and to the West when I went for my walk.

I return to the US on July 2nd, then after I pack things up at home I return here for a 2 year commitment. I will be traveling on a visa good for 4 years, so that initial 2 year stay could be extended. In theory I could apply for permanent residency, with sponsorship from my employer required because of my advanced decrepitude.

I'm probably going to get some more scenics tomorrow, and maybe some surfing shots for Jon if the waves are decent. They had some crazy surf today on the QLD/NSW border from what the news was saying.

·
TMS
9,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got over to Manly today, and is it turned out, the annual Food and Wine festival was today. They had a really good size turnout for that. It was nice early, but it started to rain about the same time I left to return to Sydney. There were a few surfers in the water, a few boogie boarders and a kayaker or two, but not much was going on. Plus, I'd forgotten my TC14 back at the apartment (and my 300mm is somewhere between Beijing and Sydney). The wine was decent, and the fish and chips I had for lunch were very good.

·
Registered
6,749 Posts
Those are some great photos! I'm sure I've missed the post in the past as I'm still fairly new around here, but what do you do for a living that brings you down to Australia for two years? I've always wanted to go on vacation there, it looks beautiful!

·
TMS
9,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Those are some great photos! I'm sure I've missed the post in the past as I'm still fairly new around here, but what do you do for a living that brings you down to Australia for two years? I've always wanted to go on vacation there, it looks beautiful!
Thanks, I'm still getting to know a couple of new lenses, with the attendant growing pains.

My employer (a mortgage insurer) has a large subsidiary here. They needed someone to manage the business intelligence/data warehousing development effort and couldn't find a local candidate to fill that role. We have a very successful BI/DW program in the US and I played a key role as a development lead in that program since its inception. I was recommended for the position here in Sydney by the US program managers, interviewed for the position, and eventually got it.

It's winter now, so you'll want to wait until November to visit. I've been here less than two weeks, so I've still got a lot to learn about the place.

·
Registered
6,749 Posts
Wow, sounds like a pretty good deal you've got going on with your employer! Be sure to keep up with all the pictures and take various shots throughout the different seasons. I'm curious to see how the city changes through the seasons.

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,524 Posts
I can't wait to come visit you Cliff. Your pics are amazing as usual, btw..

Do me a favor and start scouting the surf breaks. The local spots in Sydney are places like 'Bondi' and 'Maroubra'. With Winter just starting, you are going to get some great opportunities to shoot some amazing surf, and tease us up here...

·
TMS
9,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can't wait to come visit you Cliff. Your pics are amazing as usual, btw..

Do me a favor and start scouting the surf breaks. The local spots in Sydney are places like 'Bondi' and 'Maroubra'. With Winter just starting, you are going to get some great opportunities to shoot some amazing surf, and tease us up here...
This site seems to have some good info, Jon: http://www.wannasurf.com/spot/Australia_Pacific/Australia/NSW/index.html. I was around the Southern end of the Sydney North zone yesterday - near the town of Manly, which is easily accessible via ferry.

My 300mm and monopod is somewhere between Beijing and Sydney at the moment. I forgot my TC yesterday and didn't have enough reach at 200mm to capture the few that were out there yesterday.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts