Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I put on my summers, I was using the 29/33 that BMW recommends for 225/50/16 summer tires, with 4 passengers. After many spirited drives, I think they could definately use more. I just went out and put 38 in the front and 41 in the rear. The 41 is the recommended setting for the rear tires with a full load, and it's supposed to have 33 in the front. I like neutral handling though, so I figured a 3PSI difference would be sufficient.

So, now I have:
225/50/16 Contisports
Street only
38/41

Late last night on the way home from work in the rain, I took some backroads to let out some of the stress of working 9 hours on a Saturday. I came around some turns with the ASC off, drifting nicely (the flappy sidewalls not inspiring much confidence) through the abondoned twisty street. On the last turn in second gear powering out though, without warning the rear swung out dramatically. I started to catch it but realized that I might end up sliding sideways into a curb anyways so I stomped on the clutch and brakes, screeching to a halt. I was now just past perpendicular to my intended path about 10" from the curb.

Undoubtedly my mistake, but still taught me a few things about pushing a RWD car in the rain. The feeling the car gave as I slid to a halt felt almost like a was on the rim edge for crying out loud, so I decided that it's time for a pressure change.

I don't need any lectures BTW, I got the moral of the expereince already. :(

·
10,856 Posts
I spun out once in my old E36 325i. Ironically, that was just after I dropped pressures. My experience has been that higher pressures tended to open up the tread a bit more, letting water escape faster... Or something like that. I've always had better wet traction with higher pressures.

And I'm glad you're OK. :)

·
10,856 Posts
I will say that my contitourings were pretty terrible in the wet, though. You need to do some burnouts and get yourself different tires. :D

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
I've come to the conclusion Conti's suck in the rain. :( I buy tires for their wet performance over their dry performance, so I'm looking to dump these ASAP. I'm running 38 psi all around on the stock Conti's. They were set up 33F/35R at delivery. I notice the front end tends to get squirrely in the rain in puddles so I adjust my speed accordingly. On the street I always leave the DSC ON. As I was accelerating over the wet metal grating at a railroad crossing last Friday, the backend stepped out, and I felt the DSC kick in. DSC will save your ass. :thumb:

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
Mystikal said:
Undoubtedly my mistake, but still taught me a few things about pushing a RWD car in the rain. The feeling the car gave as I slid to a halt felt almost like a was on the rim edge for crying out loud, so I decided that it's time for a pressure change.
From your description, it sounds like your spin was the result of power oversteer. Once a tire starts to spin it'll slide like mad. A tire sliding on slick pavement isn't going to be rolling over much if its rolling over at all.

·
10,856 Posts
My RE950s will squeal in corners in the wet. :thumb:

·
Here since day one
7,180 Posts
It's happened to me back in the day when I had a 85 RX-7 but back then there were no aids to helpus from getting into trouble No DBS, abs or airbags . . . would you beleive ? ?

Anyway, I learned from that experience almost over 16 yrs ago not to go too crazy in the rain

However since I went to Skip barber driving shcool a couple of years ago I did learn some technics that left me a little more confident driving in the rain but once you lose total control, it's a slim chance your going to regain it . . .

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Re: Late night spin (literally) in the rain

clyde325xiT said:

From your description, it sounds like your spin was the result of power oversteer. Once a tire starts to spin it'll slide like mad. A tire sliding on slick pavement isn't going to be rolling over much if its rolling over at all.
Yes, the spin was the result of power oversteer. What I'm saying is that after I grabbed the brakes and slid sideways, the car leaned right over onto the sidewall of the tire and made the most gruesome sound. I have always felt a little softness when driving hard, but this was extreme. Tonight I went out again, with 38/41 and the car felt MUCH better. Off the line traction is improved measureably, as well. :thumb:

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
I spun out once in my old E36 325i. Ironically, that was just after I dropped pressures. My experience has been that higher pressures tended to open up the tread a bit more, letting water escape faster... Or something like that. I've always had better wet traction with higher pressures.

And I'm glad you're OK. :)
Nice to know that I'm not the only one spinning away in the rain. BTW, anything scary in your xiT happen? Just wait until the first 4-wheel drift on the auto-x course. :p

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ObD said:
I've come to the conclusion Conti's suck in the rain. :( I buy tires for their wet performance over their dry performance, so I'm looking to dump these ASAP. I'm running 38 psi all around on the stock Conti's. They were set up 33F/35R at delivery. I notice the front end tends to get squirrely in the rain in puddles so I adjust my speed accordingly. On the street I always leave the DSC ON. As I was accelerating over the wet metal grating at a railroad crossing last Friday, the backend stepped out, and I felt the DSC kick in. DSC will save your ass. :thumb:
Yep, these tires don't inspire much confidence in the wet. Then again, my last car had 205/55/16 Yoko Avid's on it and they recieved terrible rain ratings as well. I guess you can say I'm used to it. :confused:

BTW, no DSC here! :eek:

·
Crazy Canadian
1,095 Posts
When I made a trip to Vancouver in late winter, I was hydroplaning like a bat out of hell on the transcanada where it was wet.

Conti-Sports have almost no grip in the wet, mind you I never spun out with DSC on. Off on the other hand is a different story :bigpimp:

Power steer is very easy in these cars with DSC & ADB off and with the lack of a LSD. Controlled slides on contisports are not very confidence inspiring in my now ex-330Ci.

Controlled slides/drifting in an E46 M3 on the other hand is much more controllable with its LSD and it was on pilot sports too :D

·
Registered
166 Posts
Mystikal - unfortunately that would have never happened w/ DSC. I've tried very hard to spin out in the rain (by down shifting to a very low gear and letting the clutch out fast, or stomping on the gas when I'm at a high RPM) w/ the DSC on and it's virtually impossible. I have the conts. and w/ out the DSC on my car feels like a Mustang 5.0 in the rain.

·
Crazy Canadian
1,095 Posts
Chris330ci said:

Why not..? I thought they all came with it? Some kinda Canadian thing? Blame Canada. :D

DSC 3 is not standard here in the great white north... ASC is. DSC 3 is it's own option. On that note though, we got xenons, sunroof and cd player standard while the US didn't.

^ 2001 model year.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
I love my rain grip with S-03s :D Fantastic wet grip on the street and track.

Be more careful

No electronic aids, crappy tires, no LSD, and power oversteer is a recipie for a wreck :eek:

I have only spun a car once, my 328Ci at an auto-x :p

·
10,856 Posts
Mystikal said:

Yep, these tires don't inspire much confidence in the wet. Then again, my last car had 205/55/16 Yoko Avid's on it and they recieved terrible rain ratings as well. I guess you can say I'm used to it. :confused:

BTW, no DSC here! :eek:
That's funny. I spun while on Avids. :)

T

·
0 Posts
I have a theory on the ContiSports...

I think that they only have "high performance" tread compound on the outer x/10ths of the tread block. After that somewhat gippy compound is worn off, you are left with the hard compound used on econocar tires. You know, the stuff that lasts for 60K miles and provides very little grip.

I personally experienced (and have heard other report the same) that after about 5K miles, the tires totally lost grip and refused to wear out. It was like I was driving on those hard plastic "Big Wheel" tires.

I'd love to know if this is actually the case.

·
Crazy Canadian
1,095 Posts
TD said:
I have a theory on the ContiSports...

I'd love to know if this is actually the case.

I can attest that they wear out VERY quickly. If I still have a picture of mine I'll post it (I was down to the wear indicator after two months of hard street driving and minimal track use.)

They're just not grippy tires... at all. Mediocre at best in the dry and horrible in the wet.

T

·
0 Posts
bol said:

I can attest that they wear out VERY quickly. If I still have a picture of mine I'll post it (I was down to the wear indicator after two months of hard street driving and minimal track use.)

They're just not grippy tires... at all. Mediocre at best in the dry and horrible in the wet.
Mine quit wearing altogether. I'd autox them and they wouldn't show wear. I just couldn't kill them. So I replaced them anyway.

·
Crazy Canadian
1,095 Posts
TD said:

Mine quit wearing altogether. I'd autox them and they wouldn't show wear. I just couldn't kill them. So I replaced them anyway.

I'll admit that once they were down to the wear line it was a pretty hard compound... with even less grip of course.

Oh well, I have a brand new(although busted) on a brand new M68(although bent as well...) sitting in the corner of this room. I'll make it into a coffee table one day to comemorate contisports and their non-sportiness.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts