BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post, hello :)
I have an 2010 F10 with a cracked rear light.
So i figured i wanted to replace all with the LCI type.
Hard to find used ones, but i found a set on ebay located in the US for an affordable price, which i bought...

I am located in Europe.... i didn't even think about the turn signal being red on the US lamps when committing to buy..:LOL:

I guess there's no way to get these lamps to get an amber turning signal?
I see they have two more pins than my stock ones.. could they have both options? I guess it's only wishful thinking..:sneaky:

Cut them open and replace the leds? :ROFLMAO:

Pretty tired of myself right now.....

Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Car Vehicle registration plate Automotive lighting

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So i tried the two other pins, with no light as a result.:sneaky:

Anyone in need for a set with red turn signals?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi,

You can cut lights open and replace LEDs with amber ones. That's what I did recently to my US imported F10LCI. There are only 4 "active pins" - ground, Tail light power, Stop light power, Turn light power.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi,

You can cut lights open and replace LEDs with amber ones. That's what I did recently to my US imported F10LCI. There are only 4 "active pins" - ground, Tail light power, Stop light power, Turn light power.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Seriously? I was wondering if that would give me a strange color. Did you take some pictures of the process? What LED's did you put in ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Nah, that 2 pins aren't active.
Nope, it's straightforward, cut lamp open, disassemble that and de-solder existing LEDs, and solder new ones. There are LEDs on 2 PCBs - one pcb is main turn light PCB with 8 LEDs, and there is additional one LED on Taillight pcb on the inner side of the lamp which lights up that stripe in the middle.
6 pin yellow LEDs. Choose whatever you have at your hand - either Osram or Dominant.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes i know they aren't active because i tried :)

But how exactly did you cut them open? Did you take a picture of it?
I'm just curious of how you approached it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I took a Dremel with thin disk, and I cut it open along weld line between red lens and housing, Then there is that grey frame around turn and it is connected with black frame around edges, you can pop it off. Then there are 3 screws securing turn light module, you unscrew them and pop it off (there is tab on the bottom, which clips to other element, just watch out for that). Then there are 3 screws that holds that turn light module in one piece, you unscrew them and remove turn light pcb. In the middle of that module is clear long plastic piece. Look on inner part of light for one LED that lights that up, thats this additional LED that should be changed. That way you'll have whole turn light amber. But now I regret changing that one LED, because that red line across turn signal light would look nice.
I don't have any pictures.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I cut one open. took the 3 screws.. but it's hanging in there, i'm sure it's the tab you are mentioning.... but how did you get to that?

I can't see it... i've looked hard...:LOL:
Grille Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So now i'm looking for the correct led's to use, i found the operating voltage to be 2 volts
So amber or yellow led ? ... i did light an amber bulb behind the red cover... i saw it only as red :unsure:

What did you use? What color temperature on your leds?

How did it look on your car?
Can you take a pic of the turn light flashing?

Would be much appriciated :):)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've used Osram LY-G6SP, don't remember exact color bins, so that's yellow LED. You can find replacement from other brands. Amber bulb is to red to appear as orange.
I cannot right now, because car is at mechanic.

Don't forget to blow that with air before putting it all together, because you'll have a lot of dust inside.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts