BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought this new lid from Amazon and it started leaking from the side and then I brought another from the local store but it kept leaking I was told that the lid was bad so I brought another and still the problem exists. Does anyone know the possible reasons for this not to be the lid maybe a block in the cooling system perhaps ? ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1473667097.345568.jpg

·
Registered
833 Posts
I brought this new lid from Amazon and it started leaking from the side and then I brought another from the local store but it kept leaking I was told that the lid was bad so I brought another and still the problem exists. Does anyone know the possible reasons for this not to be the lid maybe a block in the cooling system perhaps ? View attachment 575934
Are you certain it's the cap and not the tank? Cracked expansion tanks are a common problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Check the reservoir neck for cracks
Checked for cracks not even a hairline crack was seen. It just leaks out of the lid when it's fully tightly closed. Wiped the surrounding area with a cloth and yes the coolant comes only below the lid as the photo I've attached. And this lid was checked on another x5 and it seems to work fine no leaks.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
Checked for cracks not even a hairline crack was seen. It just leaks out of the lid when it's fully tightly closed. Wiped the surrounding area with a cloth and yes the coolant comes only below the lid as the photo I've attached. And this lid was checked on another x5 and it seems to work fine no leaks.
I don't see this photo you speak of (if uploaded to photobucket...it's being blocked by my employers net nanny...and if other's can see the photo...then the net nanny has flagged that website, too) :(

But from what you wrote...if the "coolant" is filled up to the neck...then that is incorrect. The red "float" is what should come to the top of the neck. If coolant is filled to the top...then the expansion tank is overfilled. The float rises to the top of the neck long before you can actually see fluid in the tank.

BTW, the cap is designed to expel excess pressure (or fluid) if the system is overfilled.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Overfilling, or defective tank surface where cap seals. I'd bet on the first. It is supposed to leak if overfilled.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't see this photo you speak of (if uploaded to photobucket...it's being blocked by my employers net nanny...and if other's can see the photo...then the net nanny has flagged that website, too) :(

But from what you wrote...if the "coolant" is filled up to the neck...then that is incorrect. The red "float" is what should come to the top of the neck. If coolant is filled to the top...then the expansion tank is overfilled. The float rises to the top of the neck long before you can actually see fluid in the tank.

BTW, the cap is designed to expel excess pressure (or fluid) if the system is overfilled.

ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1473754918.270640.jpg
Hey thanks a lot for your comments and I've attached the photo again. But I've only filled coolant and the red float is well aligned to the expansion tanks neck.

But today I checked and there is no leaking but there is coolant loss probably due to the leaking before. So I filled the tank to its max limit today (until the red float is near or aligned to the neck) so will see if there's still leaking later)

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
... today I checked and there is no leaking but there is coolant loss probably due to the leaking before. So I filled the tank to its max limit today (until the red float is near or aligned to the neck) so will see if there's still leaking later)
Ahh...my mistake...I interpreted what you wrote that you had posted an image of the tank with the lid off and we could see the float/fluid level. :)

If you check later and you're still leaking...clean up everything real good. Then keep checking because the dried coolant will usually leave white residue. This way...you can track where the leak may be coming from.

Make sure the leak isn't coming from the small hose that connects near the neck...or if the leak is coming from the bleed screw. Sometimes the bleed screw get's torqued down to far and will break or can crack the tank. The rubber gasket around the bleed screw is what prevents leakage...so it doesn't need to be torqued down has far/hard as some people do.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I got my x5 6 months ago and the first repair we made was a cracked expansion tank. I couldn't even see it b/c it was so small, just went through 2 huge bottles of coolant before I got it repaired. I believe this is a very common issue. Mine had like white residue all over the tank and top and now doesn't have any issues after replacing that (with the coolant at least, lol)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts