BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have filled up the washer fluid twice in the past week and have not used that much. In about 2 days I get the error message inside saying low washer fluid. I fill it up and use the whole gallon. How do I check for a leak?

· Search, Read, THEN Ask
3,271 Posts

· Member: Left Lane Club
82 Posts
Check all the hoses to he nozzles, Tubes are hard plastic and deteriate and get brittle and crack. Worth a shot. Check insulation on hood for moisture. Good Luck
Start with this, then work your way down to the pump if you haven't found the issue before you get there. All you have to do is open your hood, unscrew the hood liner from the underside of your hood with a phillips head screwdriver (unscrew the screws all the way out of the plastic grommets, then pop the grommets out) and inspect the hoses that run to the cleaning jet/nozzle things. If it's cracked, replace it with 18-20" of 1/4" inner diameter heater hose from your local autozone.

If the hose isn't cracked, work your way down to the washer fluid resevoir located behind the right front wheel well, making sure all the hoses are in good shape (dry on the outside and uncracked) along the way.

Good luck and keep us posted.

· Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Start with this, then work your way down to the pump if you haven't found the issue before you get there. All you have to do is open your hood, unscrew the hood liner from the underside of your hood with a phillips head screwdriver (unscrew the screws all the way out of the plastic grommets, then pop the grommets out) and inspect the hoses that run to the cleaning jet/nozzle things. If it's cracked, replace it with 18-20" of 1/4" inner diameter heater hose from your local autozone.

If the hose isn't cracked, work your way down to the washer fluid resevoir located behind the right front wheel well, making sure all the hoses are in good shape (dry on the outside and uncracked) along the way.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Excellent advice. Sounds like my weekend project. Now that I can walk and actually do this (had surgical repair of ruptured achilles tendon) and there's a new autozone that just opened near me. This sounds like a project I can do.

· Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

· Member: Left Lane Club
82 Posts
Excellent advice. Sounds like my weekend project. Now that I can walk and actually do this (had surgical repair of ruptured achilles tendon) and there's a new autozone that just opened near me. This sounds like a project I can do.
Don't buy the pre-cut fuel line hose (Prestone maybe?) that they have hanging from the shelf. Go to the counter and have them cut 2' of heater hose for you. Much cheaper that way and more than adequate for the job. In fact, even if your hose isn't cracked, I'd replace it while you're in there as it will turn very brittle and crack eventually. Save yourself the hassle later, as it will only cost you $2 or so.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.