BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1990 325 with water in the left side trunk well under the jack. When it rains it gets from 1/4 to 1/2 inch of standing water in the left side only. Already changed the tail light gasket on that side as well as the antenna grommet. Can't see any "tracks" where the leak has left any residue. The trunk seal is original and does have some worn/torn places on the left side, but again, no residue or evidence of any leak. Changing the two gaskets has seems to slow it down and it's not as severe but it's still there. My next move is the trunk seal, any thoughts on what else it could be?

·
Registered
764 Posts
Since you said it slowed down after changing the tail light gasket I would check the laugh for cracks. Does the car have spoiler on it? Have you checked that seal? Try using a garden hose to replicate a rain storm so you can pin point the source of the leak. In the meanwhile use a flat tip screwdriver to open the two drain slots that are clogged. This will prevent the collection of water in your trunk. You can see them if you look behind the edge of the rear wheel arches.

·
Registered
165 Posts
On mine, the left trunk lid spring had broken away from the body leaving a hole just under the trunk seal.

One thing to try, and I've been there, is to put someone in the trunk with a flash light while you carefully soak the outside, section by section, with a hose.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, found the leak, now gotta fix it

So I've tracked down the trunk leak. I put a hose with a small trickle at the edge of the sunroom and sure enough it started collecting in the bottom of the left trunk well. The leak is pretty big and is coming from the far left front of the trunk where the C pillar meets the package tray in front of the rear glass. In other words, it's way up in the front of the trunk under the package tray and runs down the wheel arch in to the well. The sunroof drain hose is draining a lot of water that's running out of the edge of the rear bumper just like it's supposed to. What's leaking way up front and how do I fix it?

·
PK
4 Posts
I had the exact same issue and I have read a ton of posts on this and I am good now. Started with the sunroof drains, just make they are plugged in the the exit vent. Taillight seals next, then check your rear window seal. Mine had a small gap in both top corners. I masked if off and filled with a little black silicone, it worked. None of this works look at the trunk seal. If the metal below the seal is bent, it will let water in, repair new seal. Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts