BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Ok just a few questions for the wise mechanic experts out there! I went to Mr. Lube today and had an oil change and they have told me that I have leaky pinions on drivers and passenger side rear, and that my oil pan is sweating. How serious are these problems and are they fairly simple DIYS? or should I be taking this to my mechanic ASAP?

Also, every so often when i start the car, the engine makes this brief squeal. Any ideas of what this could be? Also, haha one more thing I just remembered, sometimes when the car is still warming up and I am driving, tthere is a loud squeaking noice from the rear right hand side of the car, i have no idea what this is either! thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
bbrg86 said:
Hey Guys,

Ok just a few questions for the wise mechanic experts out there! I went to Mr. Lube today and had an oil change and they have told me that I have leaky pinions on drivers and passenger side rear, and that my oil pan is sweating. How serious are these problems and are they fairly simple DIYS? or should I be taking this to my mechanic ASAP?

Also, every so often when i start the car, the engine makes this brief squeal. Any ideas of what this could be? Also, haha one more thing I just remembered, sometimes when the car is still warming up and I am driving, tthere is a loud squeaking noice from the rear right hand side of the car, i have no idea what this is either! thanks for the help guys!
There is only ONE pinion seal and it`s in the center. So maybe they`re speaking of where your halfshafts exit the differential. None of these are "simple" Was the diff low on fluid? As for a "sweating" oil pan, lets assume that it "weeps" just enough oil for them to see. Put something clean under the car where you park and make your own call. Does it really leak? Or is Mr Lube just greasing you up for a sphincter repair bill?
Squeak in the morning could be a belt, could be a water pump, hard to hear it over the net. Same for the rear squeak, does it increase with speed? or squeak only when the suspension moves up & down? Get under there and look/ listen, have a buddy move the car up and down. Get involved, change your own oil. JMO

·
Registered
397 Posts
I suggest that if there is a squeak in the AM, it could be oil leaking from a gasket on to the belt. The oil sits there overnight and gets cold and thickens. Thus it makes the belt squeak in the morning when you start up. When the motor heats up, the oil on the belt no longer squeaks.

This is only a guess, but that is precisely the manner in which I discovered oil leaking from a gasket on my car, leading to a very expensive repair. The squeak/squeal lasted for about two-three minutes and sounded like a squealing or slipping belt. And, it was a loud squeal, so if you have a minor squeak this probably isn't it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.