BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Looking for some advice on what to do

My 2016 750li xdrive with msport has 56000 miles on it. Two days ago I noticed the driver’s side front is much lower after the car is parked overnight. When the car is running they are all working fine. I am concerned that the air shock has a slow leak and needs to be replaced. My car is now out of its warranty and CPO warranty.

I have replaced struts myself on my 2008 535xi and my 2003 Porsche 911 so I think I can probably handle this if that the problem. Would like any advice if someone has done this before. May have to use a rebuilt unit as I’m sure the cost of a new one is going to be quite high

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
5,797 Posts
I noticed my car would randomly sit differently, and usually the right side would sit lower, dealer said it was the battery, replaced it, and didn't have an issue after. I have the autobahn pckg so I'm not sure if that matters.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the input. Low battery voltage can cause lots of weird things to happen with these cars. Last year I was having a problem with my seat coolers not working. It was traced back to low battery voltage. The battery was recharged at that time but it’s probably time to replace it.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn’t notice this before but the passenger front side is also lower than it should be but not as low as the driver side. Maybe it’s the valve body I’ll have to do some more investigation.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As I’ve done more research if it’s the valve body. On the G12 chassis I have to first remove the rear exhaust and heat shields to get to the compressor and valve body. That’s a ton of work if your not sure where the leak is coming from. I’ll start with checking the front strut with soapy water first.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did some investigation today. Sprayed soapy water on the strut but couldn’t see any bubbles. I can’t examine the entire strut without removing it. When I lower the car back down I could clearly hear hissing just from that strut which makes me think that it’s leaking from somewhere.

·
Registered
22 Posts

My 2016 750li xdrive with msport has 56000 miles on it. Two days ago I noticed the driver’s side front is much lower after the car is parked overnight. When the car is running they are all working fine. I am concerned that the air shock has a slow leak and needs to be replaced. My car is now out of its warranty and CPO warranty.

I have replaced struts myself on my 2008 535xi and my 2003 Porsche 911 so I think I can probably handle this if that the problem. Would like any advice if someone has done this before. May have to use a rebuilt unit as I’m sure the cost of a new one is going to be quite high

View attachment 1035717

Considering what you are describing, I think this could have something to do with the battery.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can definitely hear air hissing out of the driver side front strut only when I initially shut the car off. All the other sides don’t make any noise and stay level. The passenger front is a little lower but that may be because the other one sits so low.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I ordered a new front strut. The best price I could get was 1000 dollars for a OEM BMW one. It’s on back order from Germany. I’m hoping this fixes it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I ordered a new front strut. The best price I could get was 1000 dollars for a OEM BMW one. It’s on back order from Germany. I’m hoping this fixes it.
Do you check comments about the seller ? Could you tell us who is it ?
Cause I was intersested in OEM too, but the bad comments about reliability (google is your friend) were too many (The sellers were chinese).

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I ordered from bmwpartdirect.com they are a bmw dealer in Lincoln Nebraska. Has a 2 year BMW warranty. I was quoted around 1600 from my local Pittsburgh BMW dealers.

The Chinese ones go for around 600. Who knows what the quality is like and who do that you go to if there are problems. Used ones from a junkyard are even higher around 750 dollars for units with 50 to 70 thousand miles on them.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Happy to report ALL FIXED

Took approx 5 hours most of the time I was stuck on the upper wishbone. Ended up using my ball joint separator upside down to free it. Putting it back together was also hard joint wouldn’t go back into spindle. Had to use 5mm Allen then gradually upsised to 6mm. Strut held pressure overnight.
Camera lens Reflex camera Digital camera Camera accessory Cameras & optics
Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Bumper
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Window

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
My 2017 msport was doing the same thing. Look at the top of the airbag at top of steut tower. If it's greasy the fluid is leaking out. I bought a used remanufactured one from China through eBay ($600) replaced it myself with a friend in under 3.5 hours .

View attachment 1035717

·
Registered
131 Posts
thanks for sharing this Edes300!

I may be in a similar boat here.

I had some ride height issues 2 years ago where the rear driver's suspension will get jacked up really high, and other times it'll be very low, the ride quality was very harsh as well. Ultimately, it was diagnosed by the dealership as a bad "air dryer", a component of the air suspension's compressor, which was replace and the problem resolved, no issues since.

Fast forward to last week, I got a chassis error, and the right front (RF) suspension was very low similar to yours, this was most noticeable after the car had been parked for a while. Once i start to drive, the RF suspension did raise itself to a more normal height, but it was still a tad bit lower than the left front (LF) suspension, ride comfort was fine (not harsh or rough).

Few days later, both front suspensions (right and left) dropped very low when parked, but once I drive off, it raised itself to a more normal height, ride quality/comfort is unaffected.

Two days ago, the left rear suspension decided to join the party 😂😱 after parking the car overnight, both the front right & left suspension and now the rear left suspension dropped very low. (the rear left is the same suspension I replaced the air dryer compressor 2 years ago).

Coincidentally, there's a clunking noise when turning that I've been hearing for several months coming from the right front wheel, my Indy mechanic thinks it's a bad right front lower ball joint, and he thought the front strut needs to be changed because it's too bouncy when he pushes down the hood directly over the suspension. He recommends changing both front struts, he says it's best to change the suspension in pairs (by axle).

I'm trying to determine how many struts actually need to be changed... I'm wondering if the system/ecu that monitors and adjusts suspension height across the 4 wheels compensates to lower the opposite suspension when one goes bad... i.e. if the RF suspension drops lower, would the system that controls suspension height try to lower the LF suspension to re-establish some degree of balance/symmetry..?

Is there a definitive way to diagnose a bad strut seems like the soapy spray technique did not show bubbles in your case... any scan/sensor that shows air pressure within the strut, which would show the bad strut not able to maintain appropriate air pressure presumably due to a leak (similar to the TPMS system showing a low tire pressure due to a leak).

If I need to replace multiple struts, any harm in replacing one at a time this way if only the RF strut is bad, I won't needlessly have to replace both front struts or both fronts and rear left...?

I appreciate any and all help.

Thanks in advance.

(I'll upload pics next)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
In my case I could hear a hissing noise but I could never find the leak. I took a chance and was right.

In your case you already had the compressor changed a few years ago. I would be a bit suspicious that the valve block assembly may have an issue. That could cause both front struts to go down like that.

Unusual to have both front struts fail at about the same time. What if you replace those and the problem is still there because it was the valve block assembly. That component can also fail.

Unfortunately not easy to see the compressor and valve block assembly on this model. I think the rear exhaust has to come off first. Maybe try listening for hissing noise from the rear of the car when you shut it off

Good luck.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.