BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I have an '88 325i convertible that I have had for a very long time now. When I first purchased it, I snake bit the top pretty good on both sides with the mechanism when I was putting the top down and away. Yes, lesson learned. The small holes let water in pretty harshly in rain, and the fabric itself seems to not hold out water hardly at all ever since I stopped conditioning the top. I used to use the cleaner, conditioner, and water proofing agent that BMW produced RELIGIOUSLY until they stopped producing it, then I garaged the car for a few winters.

So my question is, what do I do?
-I'd love a hard top to throw on for months at a time, but cannot find one for the life of me.
-I'd love to replace the top, but don't necessarily want to pay a local upholstery shop that'd do a decent job.
-I'd replace the top myself, but I've heard HORROR stories about doing so.

Thoughts? Really appreciate any input.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Hardtop for an E30, depending on color, are available....$4,328 in black (54211972760), seems a little steep, and would attempt doing a soft top replacement than spend +$4K....but here are the other P/N's by color:
  • P/N 54211972764 = Set hardtop in PERLBEIGE
  • P/N 54218100297 = Set hardtop in DUNKELBLAU
  • P/N 54218100299 = Set hardtop in DUNKELBRAUN
Product Rectangle Azure Font Material property

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yikes. And that's without shipping. The car is hardly worth that, although it is priceless to me...

Thanks for the input! Looking into all options, just a little terrified to tackle upholstery other than seat covers or some door panels. I do all the work myself and keep everything I can original equipment, and I'm starting to find that a top with a headliner is rare as well, and that's what is in it, so I'd like to keep it that way... We will see...

Still looking for opinions!! Thanks guys!!

·
D'oh, You Kids!
1984 633CSi, 1985 635CSi, 1985 325e, 1987 325is, 1993 325is, 1995 318is, 1995 M3, 2003 F150
31,079 Posts
Welcome to Bimmerfest!

Bite the bullet and have a pro replace it. Find a shop that specializes in replacing convertible tops, not just upholstery. It won't be cheap, but look at it as an investment. Your cabriolet E30 is going up in value every day. Keeping weather damage out of it is part of maintaining it's value. And there are other top cleaners and dressings beside the now-discontinued BMW brand. Use them.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
In the mean time, if you use Gorilla Tape (similar to duct tape, but much better...Costco currently sells a two pack), you could tape up your holes from the inside until you get it replaced...plugged up holes that look bad is a much better trade than a wet interior....

BTW, E30's are going for $20K on bring-a-trailer....wish I still had mine.

·
D'oh, You Kids!
1984 633CSi, 1985 635CSi, 1985 325e, 1987 325is, 1993 325is, 1995 318is, 1995 M3, 2003 F150
31,079 Posts
Ones in exceptionally good condition with low mileage go for $20k. Run-of-the-mill ones are at $4k-$9k.....and that depends a LOT on where you are.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.