Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All my 2004 Windshield washer reservoir has developed a leak. Has anyone had this problem with their E60? By searching I found many, and I mean many threads with regards to the E39 leaking windshield washer reservoir. I'm wondering if this is a common problem throughout the BMW line. I still haven't yanked the driver side tire to get to the reservoir behind the paneling, but I will soon. It's a slow leak and I'm "hoping" for an easy fix - easy meaning cheap. With the E39 it was a matter of replacing rubber bushings and applying new zip ties to the hose. I'm assuming there's not a hole in the reservoir...

-Jay

·
Registered
2 Posts
My E60 Windshield Washer Leak Repair

Suddenly my 2006 525xi began leaking windshield washer fluid leaving puddles near the front drivers side tire. I did some poking around and found several posts for previous models that were extremely helpful. So, after successfully repairing my leak, I thought it would be nice to share some info.

Like previous models, the windshield washer pumps and reservoir are tucked behind the front section of the wheel well on the drivers side. So I removed the tire and removed all the small hex screws in the front section of the wheel well until I was able to peel back the wheel well enough to gain access to the reservoir and pumps. I added some water and found the leak to be coming from the black section of the bottom of the pump. I was hoping it was just the grommet, but for me it ended up being a slight crack in the pump. I disconnected the wiring and slid out the pump (with a bucket under the car) and lower grommet with strainer. I took the pump and grommet/strainer to the dealer and luckily, they had both in stock. Pump was $44 and new grommet was $2.75. Put it all back together and it's been fine ever since. Seems like a flimsy setup though. I can see why some others have added wire ties to keep things in place.

I have attached 2 images hopefully someone will find useful.

Attachments

·
Registered
175 Posts
My 2008 550 just started doing the same thing about a week ago, I have an appt tomorrow morning. I'll post what they did.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,
I had the same problem last week after my left control arm got broken and the tire hit front bumper.

1) Remove the front left wheel.
2) Fold the wheel liner sheet (rubber sheet behind the wheel) by removing all the screws as shown in the pic2.
3) Sensor was unplugged thats why I got 'Washer fluid level low' warning. The warning went away when I plugged the sensor.
4) I had water leak in the pipe marked on the pic1. I emptied the liquid tank first.
5) I got water leak fix gel from walmart and paste it around the pipe for one night.
6) Next day I filled the tank with wiper fluid and I didnt see any leak.

Hari

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
windshield filler pipe e60

on my 545i the filler pipe either disintegrated from heat or rubbed until it wore through. could have tried to patch it with something but it was 2 inches inside the metal chase too far to reach comfortably. so bought new one from dealer rather than mess with jerry rigging with some other pipe. worth it since connects nicely to top support and plugs nicely into the reservoir with no leaks. worth the $44 list. getting the old one off the reservoir involved cutting it partially with 1" to spare to twist and pull off. seems like you could damage the reservoir but it held up. there are two tabs that stick out on the pipe that held it in. when you pull out the old one, I attached two strong strings to it to use thread back the new hose since there is an angle on the chase that goes in 2 directions. skinny fingers may help. took off the top panel over the radiator too for more room and the air cleaner cover (both easy although need torx drivers on the panel. part number for filler I think is 61 66 7 144 396 (that is what is on the OEM label). on the wheel housing (do jack up the car in the middle then put on two jack stands on either side and remove the wheel as others note. I had enough room just pulling off the front 9 screws in the wheel well (8 of one type and 1 larger one) and tying back the wheel housing with string. replaced the pump while in there from ebay $30 since it had leaking water around it. don't forget aluminum wheels should be torqued when putting back on (I think around 90 ft lbs). total job for parts was cheap and relatively easy for non-mechanic. hard part is getting access too and removing the old hose but once that is done, you are 70% done. good luck. I tried to remove the reservoir with the 2 screws I could see but that did not work to facilitate the job, although it gave me a little extra wiggle room. I think I would skip trying that.

·
Mike Swing
404 Posts
Glad I found this thread. My 530 has a pool of washer fluid whenever I actually use it to clean the windshield. I'm going to replace the pump and grommet and hopefully that will fix the leak.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
I have the same issue on my 07 550i. Got the new windshield washer pump and will be replacing this weekend. Should be an easy job from the looks of it. Removing the wheel and a couple of wheel well cover screws gives enough access to replace the pump.

·
Mike Swing
404 Posts
I have the same issue on my 07 550i. Got the new windshield washer pump and will be replacing this weekend. Should be an easy job from the looks of it. Removing the wheel and a couple of wheel well cover screws gives enough access to replace the pump.
I just got done replacing the washer pump and grommet. Very easy and straight forward job. Remove the wheel, remove the small bolts on the inner wheel well, and then just replace the pump and grommet. I ran my pump till it was empty before I started and as a result, it took a little while to get fluid through the hose with the new pump. Super easy job and you'll be done in 30 minutes. I cleaned my wheel while I had it off the car. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts