BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I purchased a used 2005 X3 and have recently noticed that during a rainfall there is water accumulation on the right side in the trunk.

Last week there was very heavy rainfall and the car was parked on a slight downhill slope. I found approximately 3 cm of water on the passenger floor. Needless to say I'm pretty concerend that this could be a very expensive problem.

Has anyone had experience with something like this before?

Many thanks!
jk

·
MT = Doppler Shifting
989 Posts
It's not uncommon for the panorama roof drains (at the corners of the roof gutters) to clog up. Open the roof and check to be sure the drains aren't clogged with dirt/debris, particularly in the side/corner of the vehicle corresponding to where water has been collecting.

Check the drain outlets underneath the vehicle as well. The rear drain outlets are apparently very difficult to locate; they may only be known to BMW... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I'll check the roof drains myself but have a feeling I may have to take it in to be serviced. The moisture in the car is also causing the inside of the windshield to freeze.

Are you aware of any problems with the rear window seal?

·
MT = Doppler Shifting
989 Posts
...Are you aware of any problems with the rear window seal?
Have not heard of any issues there, but like any vehicle, it's certainly within the realm of possibility, especially if the rear glass was replaced in the past for some reason.

A good way to check the rear window seal under controlled conditions would be to pull out your garden hose and watch from the inside as someone squirts down the rear window. If it starts leaking, you can stop hosing it down and perhaps isolate where the leak is.

Have you noticed any moisture/water inside after washing the vehicle (either by hand or after running it through a car wash)?

·
Ukemi - that's how I roll
4,252 Posts
Are you sure it water and not the other popular problem of the windshield wiper hose cracking somewhere.

Chances are you have used the wiper fluid a lot when raining.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi all,

I purchased a used 2005 X3 and have recently noticed that during a rainfall there is water accumulation on the right side in the trunk.

Last week there was very heavy rainfall and the car was parked on a slight downhill slope. I found approximately 3 cm of water on the passenger floor. Needless to say I'm pretty concerend that this could be a very expensive problem.

Has anyone had experience with something like this before?

Many thanks!
jk
Check out air intake valve area and more to the point windscreen washer pipe - in situ under the brake/central console - so inside the car!! Just had a major bill of £800 for this little beauty to be resolved - no parts - just labout costs for drying everything out. My inside front windscreen froze as well due to all the moisture in the car. Read water in footwells on this forum and good luck!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have a 2004 x3 and had the same problem last month. I took it to my mechanic and they checked it out. Turns out it's just the sunroof rails were out of line. So they only charged me for an hour of labour and re aligned them for me. It was soaking the rear right side of the trunk.

So I wouldn't be too worried.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just had this repaired under warranty on my 2008 X3. They replaced a long rubber like strip that seems to circle the whole roof. They also cleaned the drain holes, all the seals/ rubbers and thoroughly lubricated every moving part by what I can see. Waiting for the next downpour to leave it outside to test... last time I did that I got 3 fingers deep water in the rear right passenger footwell, a damp back seat and driver footwell.

·
Registered
676 Posts
It would be nice if BMW made this procedure - clean drains, lubricate everything into a KIT. They could make money on it and reduce warranty repairs.

I'm just leaving the glass visible without opening the rest of the roof. I'm not a big fan of the convertible anyway so hopefully this means the drains will stay pretty clear and the moving mechanisms do not break. Maybe next time (did they?) they will go for the two smaller sunroofs instead of this very ambitious huge thing. IIRC the pano roof is an option on the new style anyway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.