BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Just secured a lease assumption on a 2007 328xi. It's got everything I want on it, premium and cold weather packages. My question is, is it ever worth buying at the lease end? With the current prices rising by the month, seems like it may be an option. I haven't got the quote on the end of lease buyout yet as it wasn't a factor in me getting the car. Also, is the price negotiable in any way shape or form? I know the refresh in September may make this a little less desireable for some. But not as bad as my X3. I like that car, but everytime I look at it I can't help but think it really looks dated...

·
Not a Bimmer driver anymo
1,732 Posts
Most of the time, the residuals that a lease is calculated with are optimistic compared to real world numbers. Also, the residuals on the 3-series went down in May, compared with what they were in 2007, and with the facelift coming, that's another kicker for resale value.

Also, and this is not 100% fact, but as you took over the lease, I don't know if you qualify to purchase the extended warranty if you do buy out the car... I read that it's only available to original owners, but I don't know how that works with leases since you've taken it over. Of course, maybe you don't want the extended warranty!

I have a feeling that when the lease is up, you might find a 2008 CPO on the lot for less. Maybe not a lot less, but it would include the warranty. Or start checking Autotrader a few months early..

·
Registered
6,805 Posts
Hi all. Just secured a lease assumption on a 2007 328xi. It's got everything I want on it, premium and cold weather packages. My question is, is it ever worth buying at the lease end? With the current prices rising by the month, seems like it may be an option. I haven't got the quote on the end of lease buyout yet as it wasn't a factor in me getting the car. Also, is the price negotiable in any way shape or form? I know the refresh in September may make this a little less desireable for some. But not as bad as my X3. I like that car, but everytime I look at it I can't help but think it really looks dated...
If you like the car at the end of the lease and want to keep it, check with the dealer. The dealers get a purchase price that is lower than the lease residual. The dealer purchase price typically reflects the market 'reality' for the respective model.

Depending on where the market is at when lease end comes around, incentives (typically low interest rate plus dealer paying 1 or 2 months payments) for clearing CPO cars out of inventory may make a CPO car a better deal (especially if one is available with the equipment and options you are looking for).

·
Is it Trackday yet?
8,975 Posts
I just purchased my car off lease a couple of weeks ago at thousands less than my contracted residual. The program is known as "Full Circle Purchase Program" and it works as anE934fun suggests. A dealer buys the car and sells it back to you.

If the vehicle is stock, it is possible to have it go thru the CPO process (for a price) and get the extended warranty. Mine is not stock, so I will need to get an aftermarket warranty when the time comes.

I learned about the program here at Bimmerfest a couple of months ago. I wish I knew about it 9 years ago (if it existed) because I had sold three previous bimmers off lease and could have made a fortune doing it! :D

The market is tanking, the residuals are inflated, it's a perfect time to take advantage of this program. I don't know if we have any board sponsors from Boston, but if so, contact one. I used a board sponsor for my transaction, philippek, and it went very smoothly. The one thing is the car needs to be inspected by the selling dealer, so an in-person transaction was required.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts