BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, my 3 year (plus 2 months extension) lease is about to end early next week. My 328 xdrive is in almost mint condition except the tires. They were measured to be 3/32 last week, so I'm thinking to get a set of used ones from local stores. Couldn't order them on ebay due to time constraint.

My OEM run flat tires are 94V. Is it okay to get run flat tires that are 94H instead? I am only able to find a set of 94H on craiglist, and they are one hour away. The new ones will cost me $700. The used ones I found on craiglist are only $100.

Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Hi guys, my 3 year (plus 2 months extension) lease is about to end early next week. My 328 xdrive is in almost mint condition except the tires. They were measured to be 3/32 last week, so I'm thinking to get a set of used ones from local stores. Couldn't order them on ebay due to time constraint.

My OEM run flat tires are 94V. Is it okay to get run flat tires that are 94H instead? I am only able to find a set of 94H on craiglist, and they are one hour away. The new ones will cost me $700. The used ones I found on craiglist are only $100.

Thank you for your help!
I heard bestusedtires.com is pretty good. Had a friend order from them. Can pick your thread as well.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pretty sure thats a no go. Have you tried eBay? Plenty of reputable sellers there.
I thought 94H is fairly similar to 94V. I guess I was wrong.

I'm in Oregon. The ones I found on ebay are in Florida. It will take about one week to ship them to me. My lease will end on 10/31. I'm not sure whether I can extend my lease for a couple more days as I have recently extended for two months till 10/31.

Discount Tires sell a set of four for $720 including installation, balance and disposal. I hate to put new tires because I don't get to drive them at all!

·
Super Moderator
8,067 Posts
I thought 94H is fairly similar to 94V. I guess I was wrong.

I'm in Oregon. The ones I found on ebay are in Florida. It will take about one week to ship them to me. My lease will end on 10/31. I'm not sure whether I can extend my lease for a couple more days as I have recently extended for two months till 10/31.

Discount Tires sell a set of four for $720 including installation, balance and disposal. I hate to put new tires because I don't get to drive them at all!
If your car came with V rated tires that means your car has the 149 MPH top speed. H rated tires are rated only to 130 MPH.

·
Flying monkey herder
8,173 Posts
If your car came with V rated tires that means your car has the 149 MPH top speed. H rated tires are rated only to 130 MPH.
this isnt 100% accurate... the tires do need to match, but the limiter hasnt changed

BMW has started using V rated all seasons tires on cars with the 130mph limiter.

S840A aka high speed synchronization specs summer Y or W rated tires for a limited speed of 155mph.

ex:
For vehicles with
High speed synchronisation
S840A=No
01 Continental Pro Contact SSR 225/45R18 91V 4 36126794678 ENDED
01 Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season r-f 225/45R18 91V 4 36122327906

to the OP: you run the risk of getting billed for new tires if you put the H rated on

if you are pressed for time and sure that the current tires wont pass, IIRC, BMWFS tire replacement fee is 250 each for a runflat, so its cheaper to turn in with worn tires than buying a new tires at 700 for the pair

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
this isnt 100% accurate... the tires do need to match, but the limiter hasnt changed

BMW has started using V rated all seasons tires on cars with the 130mph limiter.

S840A aka high speed synchronization specs summer Y or W rated tires for a limited speed of 155mph.

ex:
For vehicles with
S840A=No

to the OP: you run the risk of getting billed for new tires if you put the H rated on

if you are pressed for time and sure that the current tires wont pass, IIRC, BMWFS tire replacement fee is 250 each for a runflat, so its cheaper to turn in with worn tires than buying a new tires at 700 for the pair
Thanks for the info. I'll check with BMWFS to see whether I can extend for a couple of more days. If yes, I'll order with bestusedtires. If not, I'll go with Discount Tires. They charge for $700 for four. All of my four tires need to be replaced.

·
Registered
13,462 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'll check with BMWFS to see whether I can extend for a couple of more days. If yes, I'll order with bestusedtires. If not, I'll go with Discount Tires. They charge for $700 for four. All of my four tires need to be replaced.
$700 is good price for 4 brand new.

·
BMW Lover Since 1972
146 Posts
Be VERY Careful

BMWFS is VERY particular about the tires on your lease return; there have been cases where people have put new tires which were NOT EXACTLY the same as the OEMs specs, and then had to pay for a new set of tires which matched the OEMs. This is especially true if you have the End of Lease warranty (which you don't seem to have).

Check with your Salesperson and/or SA, in addition to FS, before you do anything and make ABSOLUTELY sure that you know what's required. In some cases, depending on your lease structure, BMWFS will replace your worn out tires and only charge you $300. Read your lease carefully and ask questions.

Are you in Portland? If so, what dealership? I currently am leasing 2 cars from BMWPDX, and my sales guy and I just went through all of this stuff in the past 2 months just to make sure that we knew ahead of time what was expected (one car has End of Lease warranty, 2016 Z435is, and one (2017 X3) doesn't...depends on the vehicle).

·
Registered
8,892 Posts

ex:
For vehicles with
S840A=No

on the lease turn in in 2016 for both my 335 and my wifes 5 series at the time, the price for worn tires was 300 per tire. Here is a link to my previously posted lease turn in sheet, with charges listed:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=903851

So, for OP its likely that if two tires are needed, it will be 600 (provided there is no issue with the rims of course) and 4 tires would be 1200.

Also, @OP, one of our prominent Bimmerfest sponsors is at BMW Portland (David P.). If you are looking at getting into another BMW it might be worth it to email him and tell him you were referred from bimmerfest, and see what he could do for you on the old car and the new one....

Just a thought.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey guys,
I'm thinking to get four used tires (Bridgestone Turanza EL400 02 RFT) from bestusedtires.com. A set of four would be around $200. Any experience with them? I just called them up and were told that some of the tires may be patched (but not plugged). Will this be a problem?

Thanks!

·
Registered
12,228 Posts
Patching shouldn't be a problem for as long as you're going to be using them (a few days at worst). BestUsedTires supposedly does a leak test on all the patched tires they sell. Patches are done from the inside with the tire off the rim. So, they will not even know about them from the least turn-in inspection.

Make sure the tires have the exact load rating (the "94" in "94V") and speed rating (the "V" in "94V") as your OE tires.

It looks like you saved yourself about $500. :thumbup:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
on the lease turn in in 2016 for both my 335 and my wifes 5 series at the time, the price for worn tires was 300 per tire. Here is a link to my previously posted lease turn in sheet, with charges listed:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=903851

So, for OP its likely that if two tires are needed, it will be 600 (provided there is no issue with the rims of course) and 4 tires would be 1200.

Also, @OP, one of our prominent Bimmerfest sponsors is at BMW Portland (David P.). If you are looking at getting into another BMW it might be worth it to email him and tell him you were referred from bimmerfest, and see what he could do for you on the old car and the new one....

Just a thought.
Great information. So far no bumper damage because recently replaced my front bumper by insurance company. I'm thinking to drop off my vehicle at the dealership at Salem, I can also go to PDX to return it. Just that I'm not getting a new bmw this time. Just leased a Lexus nx200t.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I found bimmerfest really helpful for me. During my three years here, I have learnt so much. I don't know much about cars but your guys have been really generous with your thoughtful suggestions and comments.

Are the tire descriptions on bestusedtires.com accurate? I am getting overly cautious now because one of the four tires are listed 5-6/32. The minimum requirement is 4/32. The other three are all at least 6/32. An alternative solution is to order the last one from eBay (elitetires). They have one that's 6.5/32.

I called bmw lease extension program this morning. They were so kind to give me another 7 day grace period so that I am able to order used tires from stores online.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
508 Posts
I found bimmerfest really helpful for me. During my three years here, I have learnt so much. I don't know much about cars but your guys have been really generous with your thoughtful suggestions and comments.

Are the tire descriptions on bestusedtires.com accurate? I am getting overly cautious now because one of the four tires are listed 5-6/32. The minimum requirement is 4/32. The other three are all at least 6/32. An alternative solution is to order the last one from eBay (elitetires). They have one that's 6.5/32.

I called bmw lease extension program this morning. They were so kind to give me another 7 day grace period so that I am able to order used tires from stores online.

If needed they can do a courtesy of at least 2 months.

·
Registered
12,228 Posts

Probably. On-line retailers have to maintain their reputation if the want to stay in business.
Getting all four from them, including the one that's 5-6/32nds inch should be fine. I'd trust them more than somebody on eBay.

You could pick up a tread depth gauge at an auto parts store for about $3, to confirm the tires are what they were advertised as.

Congrat's on your new Lexus. It most likely has the same size tires all around (unlike a lot of BMW's). If you keep the pressure where it's supposed to be (or maybe 5 to 10% higher) and rotate them often (5k to 8k miles), you could easily get through the lease without having buy another set. BMW's tend to eat rear tires. But, that's part of what makes them handle like a BMW.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Probably. On-line retailers have to maintain their reputation if the want to stay in business.
Getting all four from them, including the one that's 5-6/32nds inch should be fine. I'd trust them more than somebody on eBay.

You could pick up a tread depth gauge at an auto parts store for about $3, to confirm the tires are what they were advertised as.

Congrat's on your new Lexus. It most likely has the same size tires all around (unlike a lot of BMW's). If you keep the pressure where it's supposed to be (or maybe 5 to 10% higher) and rotate them often (5k to 8k miles), you could easily get through the lease without having buy another set. BMW's tend to eat rear tires. But, that's part of what makes them handle like a BMW.
Thank you! Just ordered with bestusedtires. Ordered four Bridgestone Turanza EL400-02 RFT, 225/50/R17, 94V, and my OE tires are Continental SSR. These four used tires have slightly different tread depths, ranging from 5/32 to 8/32. I will not be driving this vehicle much. Keep my fingers crossed that I won't get charged for anything. After I receive my tires, I may send it for a pre return inspection to see whether there is anything else I need to fix.

This 328 xdrive is my first vehicle. I'm ashamed to admit that I haven't taken very good care of it mostly due to lack of knowledge. Whenever I ran into a problem, I try to do a search online or post a question here on this forum. But sometimes I just don't know that I actually have a problem.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts