BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
LEASE END: What to Expect When Turning In My BMW

I have 90 days left on my LEASE. This will be my first lease vehicle that i will be returning. I will be also leasing a new 2008 BMW 528i when i return my lease. Any suggestion on what to expect or prepare prior to returning my lease.:tsk: I have a few scratches on the rear bumper, yet smaller to their ACCEPTABLE sample they have on their website. They also go to the extreme of providing a clear plastic that can be use to measure dents ,dings and scratches by just simply placing the plastic gizmo on the damage area. Do they really determine the damage area made to my BMW by just measuring with this plastic??:dunno:

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just turned in my 06 325i 2 months early while getting an 08 535i. The Salesperson told me that as long as you're getting a new car, they don't care about the condition unless the car is trashed.- Or the tires are bald.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just turned in my 06 325i 2 months early while getting an 08 535i. The Salesperson told me that as long as you're getting a new car, they don't care about the condition unless the car is trashed.- Or the tires are bald.
IS THAT SO:yikes:!!I already gave the first down payment to order my 2008 BMW 528i to the sales agent. :mad:You think, i should have spoken to the sales rep about the scratches in the rear bumper for the car i am returning prior to leasing again or is it to late.

·
Hofmeister kink ftw!1!!1!
1,482 Posts
Sounds like something an unscrupulous salesperson might say to get you to close a deal. The salesperson does not manage the lease turn-ins; the person who does the inspection might have something different to say.

That said, if the dealership is keeping the car, and you just overpaid for the new car, they might be happy to eat a few hundred dollars of their cost :thumbup:

·
Registered
286 Posts
If you are returning it to a different dealership then where you bought it, you may have a problem. BMW dealers are required to keep 92% of all cars they sell that are returned after lease end. In that case, BMW will never see the car and the dealer will most likely eat much if not all of the minor damage. If you return it to a different dealer they are under no obligation to keep it. If they return it, BMW will inspect the car and assess damaged based upon the guidelines they mailed you with your end of lease package. I leased both my old and new cars from the same dealership. When I brought my 2006 550 in for inspection prior to returning it, the whole process took less then a minute. I was only charged for excess mileage and my final month's lease payment.

On another note, many people don't know that BMW will allow you to make monthly interest free payments on excess wear and tear charges. I owed just over $1200 this time and they broke it into 6 payments. On my M3, I owed closer to $3000 and they gave me a year. It's no interest so why not take advantage of it.

·
Registered
856 Posts
If you are returning it to a different dealership then where you bought it, you may have a problem. BMW dealers are required to keep 92% of all cars they sell that are returned after lease end. In that case, BMW will never see the car and the dealer will most likely eat much if not all of the minor damage. If you return it to a different dealer they are under no obligation to keep it. If they return it, BMW will inspect the car and assess damaged based upon the guidelines they mailed you with your end of lease package. I leased both my old and new cars from the same dealership. When I brought my 2006 550 in for inspection prior to returning it, the whole process took less then a minute. I was only charged for excess mileage and my final month's lease payment.

On another note, many people don't know that BMW will allow you to make monthly interest free payments on excess wear and tear charges. I owed just over $1200 this time and they broke it into 6 payments. On my M3, I owed closer to $3000 and they gave me a year. It's no interest so why not take advantage of it.
What sort of excess wear and tear are you talking about for $1200 and $3000, respectively? I've never had more than $110 for excess wear and tear on a leased vehicle.

·
Registered
286 Posts
What sort of excess wear and tear are you talking about for $1200 and $3000, respectively? I've never had more than $110 for excess wear and tear on a leased vehicle.
Excess mileage.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Excess mileage.
Wouldn't it have been cheaper to "buy" the extra miles 6 months before lease end from BMWFS? They have a deal where you buy the miles at a discounted price.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Wouldn't it have been cheaper to "buy" the extra miles 6 months before lease end from BMWFS? They have a deal where you buy the miles at a discounted price.
Like I wrote, I ows them for my final month's payment and excess mileage. The difference would have only been a couple of hundred dollars if I bought the miles earlier so I really didn't care.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sounds like something an unscrupulous salesperson might say to get you to close a deal. The salesperson does not manage the lease turn-ins; the person who does the inspection might have something different to say.

That said, if the dealership is keeping the car, and you just overpaid for the new car, they might be happy to eat a few hundred dollars of their cost :thumbup:
Aaah, everyone's an expert.
Well, I have a new 5 series in my driveway and the 3 just "went away". I'm very happy with my deal. I was told there would be no charges. Plus, I had bought 4000 extra miles, used 3200 of them and was told I would be refunded the 800 mile difference.

This is my 3rd BMW from a salesperson who's been there 11 years.
They just want to sell cars, and they want you coming back.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.