Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
7,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 2017 540 comes off lease the end of this month, and I've been on the fence about extending while the COVID plays out. I've seen posts on here about a fantastic offer: extend your current lease for 2 months at a 50% reduction in payment. "Wow!", I thought, "That sounds terrific!"

I spent half an hour on the phone with the Lease End folks at BMWFS yesterday. According to them, that program does not exist. "Yeah, we've been getting calls about that. It's a rumor on the internet. We will be happy to give you a 6 month extension, which you can end early, for YOUR CURRENT LEASE PAYMENT. There is no super-duper 2 month 50% off program."

So does the 6 month, full price payment make sense? It may.

Like every lease before, I am over miles on my current lease. I always buy the extra miles the day I return the car, at the discounted rate of 23 cents per mile (24.5 cents per mile with sales tax). I'm hardly driving these days. Extending my lease gets me 1,250 additional miles for every month I extend. If I only drive the car 500 miles this month, that means 750 miles get credited against my over-mileage at lease end, and those 750 miles will save me +/- $185 when I finally do turn the car in. Better than a sharp stick in the eye, but certainly not the 50% savings that have been rumored.

But following that strategy would also mean I'd be on the hook for scheduled maintenance, plus anything that breaks. Not worth it. Besides, I need that new car smell.

It's possible the guy I spoke with at BMWFS was wrong, so if anyone here has actually gotten that half-price lease extension, please post your story. My friend the French model likes to tell me that if it's on the internet, it must be true, but in this case he appears to be mistaken.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I am almost inclined to believe that it is on a case by case basis and depends on who you're speaking w/ at BMWFS. Quack, myself, and one of the gentleman that has posted about receiving the free month and 50% off offers are in the same area and shop at the same dealers. I'm willing to bet that there is no official offer, but the provision is there.

·
Porleau
1,491 Posts

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
I am on the fence for a late summer M340i ED.

I've not seen any success in obtaining a two-month extension at 50% of the normal payment, but I did extend my lease for one month at 50% off. I also have the ability to extend up to an additional 5 months at the normal monthly payment.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I received a complimentary month lease extension on my 2018 430xi gran coupe. It expires May 27th. I have a new car ordered that is shown as "at the dealership," but my salesperson has been furloughed and no one has contacted me yet. I'm still weighing my options since I'm not driving anywhere.

·
Registered
2018 M4 cabrio ZCP / 2018 X5M
1,706 Posts
I expect BMWFS future offer's to improve, as I just was provided a bulletin this morning that my 2020 M4 vert order will probably be cancelled by BMW, as "M4 Convertible: Limited production in run-out June with no replacement afterwards".

"The ramp up period will affect the output in May and June where production will be lower than our initial planned and allocated production volume for April and May. As a result, not all the vehicles that are currently "On Order" will be produced and the majority will have to be removed from the system".

BMWNA and BMWFS is going to have an issue with the used car market being flooded, as I'm not going to extend my current 2018 F83 at the current lease terms, considering it has the ED lease modifier, higher MF than what is presently offered, and lower residual. I'll ground the lease, as I can drop down one car (2018 X5M), while I wait for the G83 latter next year.

Do you have a car to fall back on? I remember that you have a new car on order?

·
Registered
160 Posts

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
7,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yeah, I ordered back in January, and the car has been sitting at the VPC for 6 weeks now. But I am having second thoughts.

I ordered a virtual duplicate of my 2017, main differences being I deleted the ventilated and massaging seats, and added Driving Assistant Plus. My 2017 was perfect for my pre-COVID life, which included a lot of long (250 mile) drives to see clients., with inevitable traffic jams. The ZDB was going to be my new toy; other wise I was replicating my 2017, except for the tach which now goes in the wrong direction. It was a useful business tool, safe, reliable, and moderately fun to drive.

I was locked on the January deal, which I thought would only get better as the MF dropped. But my "new" payment would actually be about $100/month higher than my existing one (except for the payment waivers the first 2 months), and I'm doing no business travel now. Maybe it's the 'Rona, but I'm a lot less excited about another executive saloon right now. So I am exploring all my options. I'm thinking my next car after this one will be an M440i vert, so all I really need to do is tide myself over till they are built and de-bugged.

An F33 440 vert or M4 vert might be just the ticket. I've been looking at Swap-a-lease and Leasehackr. I prefer to think of it as "helping someone out of a jam" rather than "profiting from someone else's misfortune". The great thing about going on Swap-a-lease is being reminded how many folks are completely inept when it comes to negotiating leases, and pay a ridiculous "stupidity tax" every month. Nonetheless, there are a couple of incentivized deals which would cost a lot less than my "new" 540, and get me through till the M440 arrives. And there are a couple of killer deals on new or demo cars available on Leasehackr that benefit from the current low MF and payment waivers.

Would I feel badly about not taking delivery? Maybe. But it is a beautiful build and I'm sure they would find a home for it in short order. Probably more profitably than my mini deal. And the dealer has been remarkably non-communicative, so I will tell myself its his fault he let me wriggle off the hook. In the interim? It's fun to be actively car shopping. Much more so than listening to the MSM amp up their doom and gloom narrative.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Yeah, I ordered back in January, and the car has been sitting at the VPC for 6 weeks now. But I am having second thoughts.

I ordered a virtual duplicate of my 2017, main differences being I deleted the ventilated and massaging seats, and added Driving Assistant Plus. My 2017 was perfect for my pre-COVID life, which included a lot of long (250 mile) drives to see clients., with inevitable traffic jams. The ZDB was going to be my new toy; other wise I was replicating my 2017, except for the tach which now goes in the wrong direction. It was a useful business tool, safe, reliable, and moderately fun to drive.

I was locked on the January deal, which I thought would only get better as the MF dropped. But my "new" payment would actually be about $100/month higher than my existing one (except for the payment waivers the first 2 months), and I'm doing no business travel now. Maybe it's the 'Rona, but I'm a lot less excited about another executive saloon right now. So I am exploring all my options. I'm thinking my next car after this one will be an M440i vert, so all I really need to do is tide myself over till they are built and de-bugged.

An F33 440 vert or M4 vert might be just the ticket. I've been looking at Swap-a-lease and Leasehackr. I prefer to think of it as "helping someone out of a jam" rather than "profiting from someone else's misfortune". The great thing about going on Swap-a-lease is being reminded how many folks are completely inept when it comes to negotiating leases, and pay a ridiculous "stupidity tax" every month. Nonetheless, there are a couple of incentivized deals which would cost a lot less than my "new" 540, and get me through till the M440 arrives. And there are a couple of killer deals on new or demo cars available on Leasehackr that benefit from the current low MF and payment waivers.

Would I feel badly about not taking delivery? Maybe. But it is a beautiful build and I'm sure they would find a home for it in short order. Probably more profitably than my mini deal. And the dealer has been remarkably non-communicative, so I will tell myself its his fault he let me wriggle off the hook. In the interim? It's fun to be actively car shopping. Much more so than listening to the MSM amp up their doom and gloom narrative.
Wise words, clear thinking.

·
Aviator
2,924 Posts

Where were you when I had to "give" Carmax my '18 440xi Individual vert with only 11,000 miles? 2 sets of forged HRE wheels and tires, Dinan Stage 1, Merino leather, ...

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
The thought process should be similar to many customers looking for new cars. E.g. some in my circle of contacts did/will back out of ordered cars, and instead ponder to get back to basics, like a mid-range Civic/Accord, no kidding!

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I was locked on the January deal, which I thought would only get better as the MF dropped. But my "new" payment would actually be about $100/month higher than my existing one (except for the payment waivers the first 2 months.
I assume that the "locked" expired due to closure of the VDC. Did the residual drop that's the $100 price difference.

My estimate lease payment was going to drop around $200 from the 2018 M4 vert to 2020 M4 vert-- only difference was 2018 had individual paint at $1950 to 2020 with $550 SMB and Apple Car Play is now included.

I'm sure if you decide to "walk", BMW NA and the Center should make it right-- otherwise, an other lost sale.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
The thought process should be similar to many customers looking for new cars. E.g. some in my circle of contacts did/will back out of ordered cars, and instead ponder to get back to basics, like a mid-range Civic/Accord, no kidding!
BMW NA sent a bulletin out today that a lot of orders that were accepted at 111 status will be cancelled due to incorrectly estimating the factory and suppler network ramping up production for April and May prior to the model year change over in July-- customers who want to purchase, can't.:cry:

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Where were you when I had to "give" Carmax my '18 440xi Individual vert with only 11,000 miles? 2 sets of forged HRE wheels and tires, Dinan Stage 1, Merino leather, ...
I remember your 2018 build, just seems like yesterday, as it was beautiful.

·
Registered
56 Posts
BMW NA sent a bulletin out today that a lot of orders that were accepted at 111 status will be cancelled due to incorrectly estimating the factory and suppler network ramping up production for April and May prior to the model year change over in July-- customers who want to purchase, can't.:cry:
Curious, does this only apply to MY20s? I'm starting the process of contacting dealers to see when I might be able to build a 2021 330e so hopefully I can still move ahead with that.

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
Wow this is unprecedented. The same can be true even for econo brands, so maybe backup plans(e.g. motorized skateboards? :)) need to be seriously considered ....

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I am on the fence for a late summer M340i ED.

I've not seen any success in obtaining a two-month extension at 50% of the normal payment, but I did extend my lease for one month at 50% off. I also have the ability to extend up to an additional 5 months at the normal monthly payment.
I hope this is already booked since they are not taking any orders after 5/18/20...

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1379415

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
I hope this is already booked since they are not taking any orders after 5/18/20...

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1379415
Thanks and indeed, I received a production number in early March for a 7/9 pick up. I am fully prepared to travel, the only question remaining is whether Germany will let us in the country with no quarantine requirement.

The pre-COVID plan was to visit eight countries over 6 weeks, but the prospects of that are not looking great. Our schedules could allow for pushing the ED back to early August for a quick two-week jaunt, but no later.

Hoping for the best...

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Curious, does this only apply to MY20s? I'm starting the process of contacting dealers to see when I might be able to build a 2021 330e so hopefully I can still move ahead with that.
Orders that were accepted, such as status 111, that will now not have a MY2020 June 2020 build will be changed to a MY2021 starting with July 2020 production. If the customer declines, BMW and the center are suppose to work with the customer, as this also includes any price changes for MY2021.

You simply can not flip on a switch and expect factories at 100% efficacy, as the tier 1 suppliers and their suppliers have to ramp up production, especially as BMW Group uses just in time production.

1 - 20 of 140 Posts