Bimmerfest BMW banner

61 - 80 of 140 Posts

·
Novice driver
3,897 Posts
Rant of the Day:

I've been mentally replaying my dealer visits yesterday, and some different dealer websites I visited. It dawned on me: Every dealer in a 100 mile radius has 5 to 15 brand new, low-price 228 GC's in inventory. Front Wheel Drive BMW's! Designed for and marketed to newcomers to the marque, likely coming from a Corolla, Civic, etc.

I am pretty sure the 2 Series GC's are built in Leipzig. Correct me if I'm wrong.

It dawned on me that, during the 6 weeks my custom-ordered-in-January, $80,000 G30 has been sitting at the VPC, BMWNA somehow found a way to import, process and ship to dealers thousands and thousands of these $40,000 cars, built not for loyal customers (the 2020 540 sitting at the Port is my 15th BMW) but for poseurs who may be one-and-done after this purchase. Prioritizing noobs over the Old Guard. Sending the clear message that a first-time buyer of an entry-level FWD quasi-BMW is more valued than a repeat customer with 2 or more Roundels in his driveway.

I know I sound entitled. But nothing stings like unrequited love. WTF sort of business model is this?
Yes, F44 is assembled at the Leipzig plant and yes your sense of entitlement knows no bounds.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
... and yes your sense of entitlement knows no bounds.
What? Priority delivery of a P1 order? Delivery at the price and terms understood at time of order? For a serial leaser/loyal-to-the-brand returning customer?

It is true, by definition, all BMW customers run along the "entitled" side of the bell shaped curve. The brand has cultivated us to be thus.

Let's stay focused on what BMW should be doing to attend to those most responsible for the brand's ongoing success. I'm still trying to figure out how wiping out customer orders, allowing customers to experience inconvenience and outright hassles with lease returns, and bumping well-kitted ordered cars in favor of generics....

Quack needs no defenders, he can stand his own ground, but I'm standing with him on this one, courteously, of course.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Rant of the Day:

I've been mentally replaying my dealer visits yesterday, and some different dealer websites I visited. It dawned on me: Every dealer in a 100 mile radius has 5 to 15 brand new, low-price 228 GC's in inventory. Front Wheel Drive BMW's! Designed for and marketed to newcomers to the marque, likely coming from a Corolla, Civic, etc.

I am pretty sure the 2 Series GC's are built in Leipzig. Correct me if I'm wrong.

It dawned on me that, during the 6 weeks my custom-ordered-in-January, $80,000 G30 has been sitting at the VPC, BMWNA somehow found a way to import, process and ship to dealers thousands and thousands of these $40,000 cars, built not for loyal customers (the 2020 540 sitting at the Port is my 15th BMW) but for poseurs who may be one-and-done after this purchase. Prioritizing noobs over the Old Guard. Sending the clear message that a first-time buyer of an entry-level FWD quasi-BMW is more valued than a repeat customer with 2 or more Roundels in his driveway.

I know I sound entitled. But nothing stings like unrequited love. WTF sort of business model is this?
+1000. Great post, great points.

Many folks who buy the 228GCs will think they are buying a four door version of the wonderful 2 series. When they eventually find out that they have bought a Golf (equivalent), they will not be happy not will they return as customers. But in the meantime BMW is abandoning its best customers by stopping German pickups for American customers, delaying delivery of cars such as this, etc.

But...the best answer is that there are many, many car companies and if BMW abandons its best customers, there are many others happy to serve us.

·
East Coast Commuter
4,604 Posts
Guys. The 2 GC is an xdrive only platform. Not that I don’t agree with Quack’s assessment of the car and it’s market.... Even the Roundel editor who tested the car for this months issue noted the same thing I said when the car came out....the 2 GC is the same price as a base 330i when equipped similarly and the 330i is a far better car. BMWNA was smoking crack when they thought that 2 GC would be a good seller at that price point. Absent big rebates to get the lease payment to 299 a month, the 2 GC is a complete fail.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
7,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Guys. The 2 GC is an xdrive only platform. Not that I don’t agree with Quack’s assessment of the car and it’s market.... Even the Roundel editor who tested the car for this months issue noted the same thing I said when the car came out....the 2 GC is the same price as a base 330i when equipped similarly and the 330i is a far better car. BMWNA was smoking crack when they thought that 2 GC would be a good seller at that price point. Absent big rebates to get the lease payment to 299 a month, the 2 GC is a complete fail.
While you and I agree on most things, and I agree with the rest of your post, the part I bolded is incorrect. While BMWNA is importing only the xDrive variant (for now), the platform is in fact FWD, like the Mini it's based on. From automotive News Europe:

The 2-series Gran Coupe shares its front-wheel-drive platform with the 1-series hatchback and 2-series Tourer minivan. BMW's other compact cars, the 2-series coupe and convertible, are underpinned by rear-wheel-drive architecture.​

https://europe.autonews.com/automakers/bmw-expands-2-series-fwd-coupe-styled-sedan

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I have yet to drive a 2 GC. But then, my daily driver is a Clubman S All4 with a Dinan plugged in for a little more kick, with much the same driveline and chassis, so I am certainly familiar with the underpinnings. Absolutely a hoot and a half to drive... in the MINI configuration.

We all understand the market is shifting in many uncharted ways. And price point is a factor -- not so much MSRP, but drive off and monthly payment remain the biggies in front of most car buyers.

One result of COVID is that dealers of all makes and brands have been scrambling to shift their processes toward low contact/no contact dealings with potential buyers. This, of course, changes the paradigm for the majority of car dealers who used the meet-and-greet, walk around, test drive, come on in, sit down, let's go over my manager's numbers steps to the sale process.

As a mostly elite group of buyers, we 'Festers fall way outside the norm. It is understandable that BMW, like Mercedes, keeps looking for that new magic niche to snag new customers.

My issue is, will we be forsaken as BMWNA chases conquests? Will only the $80K ~ $120K top line Bimmers be "reserved" for us? Or will the processes needed to sell to the 2 GC conquest buyer infect things up and down the line?

Meanwhile, I'm gloating because I went to my BMW Center to get a new BMW and, to my amazment, got a MINI instead, and then went back for another MINI. So I'm an early adopter and I've snagged the pole position in the race to the bottom. Woo Hoo!

The advent of the 2 GC , as well as Quack's mistreatment by BMWNA and his dealer, is all my fault. I feel special.

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
7,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Happy endings Report.

So I will bring my saga full circle. (gkr778 you should stop reading now, as continuing may upset you further.)

Channeling my inner 1968BMW2800, I reached out politely to the owner of the dealership. I've been buying cars from him since 1981, and we're in that fuzzy gray zone of less-than-friends-but-more-than-acquaintances, following each other on social media, having half-hour visits when I stop by for service, etc. The type of relationship where, when I come by for service, he often lets me take whatever he's driving that week as my "service loaner". I've had some fun with "his" M6, Macan Turbo and other neat rides, and he even offered me his Audi R8 on one visit. My complaint was the P1-order-vs-228-GC-deal, and he owned that. With much of his staff furloughed (not just at the BMW store, but also the Porsche, Audi, RR and MacLaren stores he owns) he'd told BMW to suspend deliveries of what they had for him at the port. Like most decisions in life, it was made for the right reasons but had unintended consequences, like five other long-time customers who were in the same boat as I am.

The next day, the GM reached out to me to "make it right":

• My deal - which was originally at invoice, then went $500 over invoice, is now $1,500 UNDER invoice.
  • They have offered to ground my 2017 lease now, and comp me a loaner to drive, gratis, for however long it takes my 2020 to arrive.
  • They have assured me that they will lock this month's program - with the two payment waivers - for as long as it takes to get me my car. If BMWNA won't cooperate, the dealership will stroke me a check to make me whole.
In short, a Master Class in Customer Relations, making an admittedly-entitled customer feel even more special. Great things happen when you ask, especially when you ask politely. As my late father used to say, "It never hurts to ask - the worst that can happen is they say no, but many times you will be pleasantly surprised."

·
East Coast Commuter
4,604 Posts
While you and I agree on most things, and I agree with the rest of your post, the part I bolded is incorrect. While BMWNA is importing only the xDrive variant (for now), the platform is in fact FWD, like the Mini it's based on. From automotive News Europe:

The 2-series Gran Coupe shares its front-wheel-drive platform with the 1-series hatchback and 2-series Tourer minivan. BMW's other compact cars, the 2-series coupe and convertible, are underpinned by rear-wheel-drive architecture.​

https://europe.autonews.com/automakers/bmw-expands-2-series-fwd-coupe-styled-sedan

Ok Quack. We are in agreement. I took your use of the word “platform” to mean that the 2 GC was a FWD car rather than what you actually meant which was that the platform is a FWD Mini based platform, which is entirely correct. FWIW, I heard that the FWD version was not going to be imported, but that might be incorrect information.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
East Coast Commuter
4,604 Posts
Happy endings Report.

So I will bring my saga full circle. (gkr778 you should stop reading now, as continuing may upset you further.)

Channeling my inner 1968BMW2800, I reached out politely to the owner of the dealership. I've been buying cars from him since 1981, and we're in that fuzzy gray zone of less-than-friends-but-more-than-acquaintances, following each other on social media, having half-hour visits when I stop by for service, etc. The type of relationship where, when I come by for service, he often lets me take whatever he's driving that week as my "service loaner". I've had some fun with "his" M6, Macan Turbo and other neat rides, and he even offered me his Audi R8 on one visit. My complaint was the P1-order-vs-228-GC-deal, and he owned that. With much of his staff furloughed (not just at the BMW store, but also the Porsche, Audi, RR and MacLaren stores he owns) he'd told BMW to suspend deliveries of what they had for him at the port. Like most decisions in life, it was made for the right reasons but had unintended consequences, like five other long-time customers who were in the same boat as I am.

• My deal - which was originally at invoice, then went $500 over invoice, is now $1,500 UNDER invoice.
  • They have offered to ground my 2017 lease now, and comp me a loaner to drive, gratis, for however long it takes my 2020 to arrive.
  • They have assured me that they will lock this month's program - with the two payment waivers - for as long as it takes to get me my car. If BMWNA won't cooperate, the dealership will stroke me a check to make me whole.

In short, a Master Class in Customer Relations, making an admittedly-entitled customer feel even more special. Great things happen when you ask, especially when you ask politely. As my late father used to say, "It never hurts to ask - the worst that can happen is they say no, but many times you will be pleasantly surprised."

Excellent outcome and goes to show that a relationship with a dealer can make all of the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
2018 X5M
1,709 Posts
Great outcome, glad it all worked out for you, as the dealership did the right thing in the end-- just too much stress you had to deal with.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,259 Posts
SteveinArizona;133421z said:
But...the best answer is that there are many, many car companies and if BMW abandons its best customers, there are many others happy to serve us.
Yeah, well I think BMW figured out- quite some time ago- that there are a ton of customers in the sea, and finding them is pretty easy. English speaking..Chinese speaking...they dont actually care too much

However they DID spend time making noises so customers THINK they are special...

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Happy endings Report.

Now THAT is coming around full circle!

·
Registered
10,423 Posts
The e-mail preview on my phone displays the first half sentence of a post in a thread I'm subscribed to. When I saw "Happy endings report" and "... coming full circle" I deleted those e-mails.

The monkeyazzduck's experience brings out a good point. Repeat customers are treated better than those who shop dealerships every time they buy or lease a car and rarely do so from the same dealer two times in a row.

My employer sent me to some kind of class once about management, leadership, or whatever. One of the important things I learned there was that *** happens in every business or organization, but the great businesses and organizations use those negative events to actually strengthening their relationships with their customers.

Back in January, BMW of Bubbaville had so many new cars coming in that they were storing truckloads of 3 Series cars at their Chevy lot, and telling the Chevy salesmen to feel free to sell them.

·
Registered
482 Posts
For those that chose to do the 6 month lease extension, is BMW FS offering the buyout discount during and at the end of the 6 month extension? I would like to have the option of buying out my car at the end of my extension if I can***8217;t find anything I like.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
For those that chose to do the 6 month lease extension, is BMW FS offering the buyout discount during and at the end of the 6 month extension? I would like to have the option of buying out my car at the end of my extension if I can't find anything I like.
I would strongly suggest you contact BMWFS and clarify:

1, What will the new residual be at the end of the 6 month extension term?

2, Will the new residual be the maximum buyout price?

3, Will there be a special buyout price as good or better than the discounted buyout offer extended at the original lease end?

Confirm anything and everything you are told with email or other written follow up, and, of course, log names of persons at BMWFS and exact time and date of conversation(s).

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
I would strongly suggest you contact BMWFS and clarify:

1, What will the new residual be at the end of the 6 month extension term?

2, Will the new residual be the maximum buyout price?

3, Will there be a special buyout price as good or better than the discounted buyout offer extended at the original lease end?

Confirm anything and everything you are told with email or other written follow up, and, of course, log names of persons at BMWFS and exact time and date of conversation(s).
++

and here is one data point:

I have just started the first month of a lease extension (with payment made at 50% discount). My residual just dropped from 61% to very close to 60% of MSRP, minus the $6000 payoff discount.

I am going to return the vehicle in late June, and am still holding on to some hope for an early August ED.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I contacted BMWFS and they can't promise the buyout discount beyond my current statement period. So my residual at end of the 6 month extension would be $1k less than what my buyout price is currently. It doesn't make sense when I'm paying $950/month. :thumbdwn:

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I contacted BMWFS and they can't promise the buyout discount beyond my current statement period. So my residual at end of the 6 month extension would be $1k less than what my buyout price is currently. It doesn't make sense when I'm paying $950/month. :thumbdwn:
Assuming the residual diminishes monthly by the depreciation portion of your monthly payment, it might then also be impacted by a residual percentage adjustment, so you're treading water.

Get all the numbers in writing from BMWFS. Get them to explain any residual adjustment, and any payoff adjustment, and how they are calculated.

You want the formula.

61 - 80 of 140 Posts