BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey All, I know there are a ton of posts about run flats etc, but I am looking for advice I coudln't find via searching.

I have a 335i Vert with sport package (read 18" summer RFTs), 42 month lease (about 10 months in). I live in Maryland so we get enough cold weather to need to swap the tires to winters or all seasons.

We don't really get enough deep snows to warrant putting on winters so I am looking at replacing with a set of all seasons (Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus). They have great reviews and a great looking tread pattern.

Here's the dilemma: can I return my lease with non-RFT tires? If so, I would take the summers off this winter, run the AS, then put the summers back on for 6 months, and then put the all seasons back on until I turn in the lease a couple years later.

If I can't turn in the lease with non-RFT's, do you think I could store my OEM tires for ~2.5 years safely?

EDIT: Or another option I just came across: I could sell my slightly used RFT's on ebay now, and then buy another set to turn the car in (if the dealer makes me).

Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
13,568 Posts
No. BMW gave you run-flat tires. They expect run-flat tires on lease return. Some folks take the run-flats off when they take possession of the car, store the tires, then put them back on the vehicle just before lease return. I have never heard of anybody having a problem doing this.

·
NHTSA Nazi
351 Posts
you may want to look at the review of the A/S in the most recent Car & Driver. It didn't do very well in cold, snowy weather.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Here's what I did. First of all, on a 42 month lease, you can expect to replace the soft high performance tires at least once and maybe twice. I have found that the 3 series that I have had were really bad on rear tire wear. I took my OEM RF tires AND WHEELS off at 4k miles. I purchased a set of 19" aftermarket wheels and General Exclaim UHP tires with TPMS sensor for $1776. I put the OEM tires with wheels back on the car for a 1500 mile trip and then put the aftermarkets back on again. I plan on putting the OEMs back on for lease return . I will then sell the wheels if I don't get another 3 series . You will get better wear out of the All season tires. Yes, you can store the tires mounted on wheels wheels safely , BUT it is not recommended to remove the RF tires and then remount them.

Attachments

·
Super Bayern!
348 Posts
Ah, Annapolis. One of my favorite places in the whole world.

I thought long and hard about replacing my RFTs. I, too, have a leased vehicle, and you certainly have to turn in the car with RFTs. They have to meet minimum tread guidelines, or you will be charged for a new set. Most people on this forum seem to get about 10-15K mi from their RFTs on a 3er. I was lucky and got 18K. Regardless, you are in for at least a couple of new sets. New tires, mounted, TPMS, balanced, etc will probably run you at least $1500. So the idea of replacing the RFTs sounded good (along with improved ride).

Realize you will have no spare. I tried to justify by saying I would not change a tire anyway, I would probably call BMW Assist for this. There are also space saver spares you can get, but I know how small the trunk is already. I finally just decided to do another set of RFTs. I have no regrets.

I like the idea of new rims that will get salty and dirty in the winter. Mount snow tires. Change back to your RFTs and OEM rims after the winter is over. Drive carefully (or use another car) when during the spring you get the occasional temps in the 30's. This is what I was going to do if I stayed in the mid-Atlantic.

I can't picture driving down Forest Drive after hours and getting a flat, or coming in route 50, or up I-97. Depends on your situation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts