Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I am a new forum member as well as a new BMW owner. I just got a 530i. I love it.
It has beige leather. What does everyone recommend for it? Do I need a cleaner and restorer. Is there an all in one product? Whar brand is the best? Does BMW have their own product? I am also concerned about the leather changing color when applying a product.
By the way, my saleman said to use saddle soap. What about this?

Sorry for so many questions.
Thanks,
Ken

·
Registered
157 Posts
hey ken,

i've had pretty good results with a product called Leatherique (google to find places you can order). i bought an 87 325is from my uncle this past june in the great state of NJ!!! LOL anyway, the leather was in good shape but faded and drying a bit. leatherique has a two step kit with a rejuvenator oil that you apply first by generously massaging into the leather with your hands. this should be allowed to stay wet on the seats for, at least, several hours or better, overnight. also better if you can keep the seats warm while the product is on. they recommend plastic bags and a hair dryer (did mine in the summer so this wasn't an issue), but i'd just let the car idle for awhile with the heater on high!
remove product with a towel then apply the second product "prestine clean" (both are in the kit).
this product really restored the softness and new smell of the leather, but my only gripe was, it's not real good with leaving a decent gloss or shine to the leather.
i then tried a product called Zaino "leather in a bottle" (Z10). amazing stuff! if your leather isn't in that bad of shape i might just use this. zaino also has a type of rejuvinator (Z9), that you might look at to. http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=Zaino. that is there website,,,their wax system (z2, z5, etc) is also INCREDIBLE. highly recommended and they're based in jersey.
hope this helps........................ :thumbup:

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. My car is less than a year old and looks new still. The Leatherique would be overkill. I am looking for cleaning and conditioning I guess. I probably will look at Zaino. Also. what do you think of Meguire's product?

I spoke with my BMW dealer which is less than 5 minutes from my home about what they use. Thier service department told me that they have all of their Certified Used cars sent to the detailing place up the street from them before they resell them. I called up that place and they do a leather cleaning for $75.00 and a conditioning for $40.00. They use Meguire. I may just end up using these people as it will be simpler.
Ken

·
Registered
57 Posts
Sometimes you have to know when to do it yourself, and when to write a check. Leather is relatively easy to clean and condition. For $25 you can buy Zaino Z9 cleaner and Zaino Z10 leather in a bottle conditioner, and do it yourself. The local shop may just smear some of the Meguiar's wipes over it and be done.
Your choice, but the Zaino route really is easy. PM if you need help. And best of all, Zaino Z10 smells awesome- like a leather tannery. Brand new car smelling.

·
Registered
157 Posts
REALLY!!!! DO NOT SPEND THAT MUCH ON YOUR GOOD CONDITION LEATHER. jeez, i don't live that far from you, give me the $115 and i'll bring my Zaino and be done in an hour!!!! LOL
seriously,,if your leather isn't at "ground zero", and you don't think it needs a big conditioning program,,,,DEFINITELY get yourself some Zaino Z10 first. very easy to apply,,,you dont even have to buff it out!!! and it's true,,,,your car will smell incredible.
it'll take you under an hour, easy! SAVE YOUR MONEY (and the hassle of dropping off you car someplace!!)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, OK, you win. LOL.

I will buy the Zaino #9 and #10. I have a couple of questions if you don't mind. The leather is beige. Will either of these products darken or lighten the leather? Can I use the conditioner without the cleaner, or will it "lock in" dirt or something if I do that. I am asking because I just picked up the car as preowned from the dealer and is a 2005 car and it is immaculate and doesn't look like it needs cleaning, but I want to make sure that the seats stay that way and don't start to crack etc. I figure a conditioner might be a good idea. They do detail the car before it is sold. Also if I do the fronts and not the backs, will there be a difference in shading? The leather has a matte apperance, will it stay that way after the conditioning or will it have a shine? Lastly, I know this will be a dumb question, but is the dashboard and the doors leather as well?

Thanks a lot for your help.
Ken

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
Zaino is good. In general watch out for a lot of so called leather conditioners. Some of them will make you leather look shing and smell funny (Lexol comes to mind).

If you want to maintain the matt look, ask folks on this board before using any product.

·
Registered
157 Posts
don't worry,,,i'm with you,,,,i hate that shiny, wet, sticky look on my leather. clean and natural is for me.
the Zaino will NOT make your leather slippery and shiny, and will not discolor the leather at all. it will just look clean, smell nice, and appear brand new. it's also very easy to apply. if the leather appears "immaculate" i might not even go with the Zaino 9. up to you. the 10 is what i have (like i said, used leatherique for the "big clean"), and it is great when i use it on my now clean leather. it says it's good to use on vinyl too but i really like meguires low gloss with my vinyl and lexol makes a very good vinyl cleaner too. i have both. meguires smells better!! stay away from ANYTHING with silicone in it's formula (i.e., armour all!!!!).
i'm sure your dash is vinyl or plastic and i'm sure you're doors are the same. my 90Q45 is a very good example of a car that was "over-engineered" initially, then downgraded the quality of parts as the line went on. my interior is a two-tone black-grey with lots of leather throughout. half the door is leather and half of my glovebox is leather. the dash and other interior parts are vinyl,,,which i hear most cars don't use anymore in favor of the cheaper plastic. either way,,,you want a product with no silicone!, UV protectors and (in my opinion), has a low-gloss formula (I HATE THAT WET LOOK IN THE INTERIOR!!!).
i'm sure there is much debate on the best vinyl/plastic formula, but i use lexol and meguires.
again,,,,hope this helps :thumbup:

·
Registered
57 Posts
You can use the Zaino Z9 cleaner, and get out dirt you didn't know was there. Then follow-up with Zaino Z10 conditioner (leather in a bottle), and it will leave the leather matte and healthy looking. Zaino will never leave your leather shiny or slippery- you basically just follow the instructions, it's idiot proof.
If you're in a 5 series, as I assume you are, the dash is not leather, but you can still use the Zaino on it, although there are specialty products for that.
The doors are partially leather (the armrests and above the armrest)- go ahead and use Zaino Z9 and Z10 there, too. And use it on the shift boot, e-brake boot, headrests, etc.
You are going to become addicted to the smell!
Let us know how it goes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts