BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I am a newbie to the 7 series, having graduated from the E60 after 165,000 great miles.

Got a great deal on a dealer-owned 2012 740i with Dakota black interior, luxury seating which includes the seat cooling fans. Anyway, my question relates to the car surfaces leather/vinyl. I was just reading a post about the "leather dashboard". I have doubts as to whether/not the dash is leather. I used Meguiar's leather cream wipes a few weeks ago and it looks greasy/shiny as compared for the console leather for example. My theory is that the dash is not leather and the cream did not absorb, whereas the console armrest is/did, along with the seat surfaces I wiped. Likewise various other surfaces appeared to absorb or not, which to me is an indicator of leather vs. vinyl.

I'd like those with some knowledge on this subject to please weigh in because so far I have only conjecture (mine!). Thanks all for your help. Is there an authoritative source for what the surfaces are in the 2012 F01 with luxury seating? Thanks again.

Mark

· Registered
8,246 Posts
The way to tell is to look at the stitching. The leather dash has more rows of stitching than the vinyl one. My car's in the shop, so I can't tell you how many stitches for the leather.

· Registered
546 Posts
I agree with you. Mine is also lux seating. Dash doesn't look like leather to me. Anyways, I use Aerospace 303 for dash, inside of doors and vinyl and zaino Z9-Z10 for seats and arm rests.

I really don't care which part is real leather and which part is not. I just want to keep car in brand new condition. Aerospace 303 and Z9/10 are doing the job.

· Registered
2020 BMW 750i, 2017 BMW X3, 1976 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible
324 Posts
"Leather Instrument Panel" is a stand alone option and not included as part of the Luxury Seating Package.
Cars with Leather Instrument Panel have leather on the dash and upper door panels that exactly matches the rest of the interior.
Cars without Leather Instrument Panel have a faux leather man made material on the dash and upper door panels that looks like leather.
Do you have the window sticker?
If not, plug your VIN number into the owners circle website and get a list of your car's equipment.

· BMW rocks!
795 Posts
If it does look like the rest of the leather seats, then it's not leather dash. I kind of like my non leather dash board since it's different texture and have a little two tone effect in my all black interior, and also looks more durable from the sun. Oh, I also have luxury seating as well.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all for the excellent information and resources. I looked up my car on http://www.rubmw.ru/vincode/eng/ and did not see the leather covered instrument panel, so faux-leather it is! I also have used the Aerospace 303 on my 525i for many years (man that is a weird dash material on that car!) and will again on the 7. I have not used the zaino products, in the past I have used Lexol or as I mentioned, the Meguiar's leather wipes, so I'd be interested in hearing the benefits of zaino if they are significant.

Best wishes from a more informed newbie, thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.