BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to determine how to best clean and maintain my 2013 650ix and am having trouble determining what is real leather and what isn't. I'm pretty sure that the seating surfaces are real leather, but about the other areas that appear to be (or have the look of) real leather, specifically:

*The dash board, other than that which is plastic by the subwoofer
*the center console, including the top of the center storage bin
*The doors

I'd think anything with stitching looks like leather, but I am not sure. I want to be sure to clean and moisturize there areas with leather cleaner as appropriate...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Trying to determine how to best clean and maintain my 2013 650ix and am having trouble determining what is real leather and what isn't. I'm pretty sure that the seating surfaces are real leather, but about the other areas that appear to be (or have the look of) real leather, specifically:

*The doors

I'd think anything with stitching looks like leather, but I am not sure. I want to be sure to clean and moisturize there areas with leather cleaner as appropriate...
I am new to this forum and bimmers in general (should be taking delivery of my CPO 2014 650ix vert later this week) but I have read through a ton of pages of this forum and I am pretty sure your car has Nappa Leather all around. The thread below is incredibly informative. I would recommend taking a look at that. I have never used Leatherique but Lexol is something I have always used.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=586439

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
For your leather surfaces (and I use it on the non-leather surfaces such as the pieces on the doors) use Leatherique. I've used it for over 10 years. It's hands down the best.

·
Michael
2,289 Posts
Not sure about your year model but the 2016 models everything mentioned in the thread is leather, basically all the upper surfaces, all of the Dash, top door panels , centre console rear seat side panels and upper around the headrests. The things that are plastic are fairly obvious on this year car!!!! Given the leather is specially treated to reflect sunlight you need to ensure any cleaner is compatible, especially any protector!!!

·
Registered
573 Posts

*The doors

I'm not convinced it matters much. It's tempting to use leather cleaners/conditioners/etc., but in my mind, they're not needed.

Cool water, a high-quality microfiber towel are all that's needed.

A good sunshade and deep tinted windows also help preserve the interior.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Cool water, a high-quality microfiber towel are all that's needed.
I can tell you from experience that's far from the truth. Rub in Leatherique's Rejuvination Oil and let it sit in for a few hours under the sun (that's part of the proper treatment to get the dirt out from within the leather) and you'll see a material difference. Here's a tutorial from a friend of mine Todd Cooperider about halfway down are before and after photos - I've had very similar results on the last 6 BMW's I've had since I first read this article.

A good sunshade and deep tinted windows also help preserve the interior.
Better than dark tinting is 3M's window film - even the 100% clear film will reflect UV rays and reduce the heat in your car. Add the dark tinting and you have a recipe for what you're trying to attain.

·
Michael
2,289 Posts
I had heat reflective windows and windscreen put on my car as part of the spec. The windscreen more than anything make a real difference was quite surprised! I am not a lover of window tinting but tastes vary........I have white upholstery and already after a couple of thousand miles the drivers seat is already being affected by dye from clothes, no jeans. Have found it difficult to remove and would appreciate advice on how to remove and then protect?

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
I had heat reflective windows and windscreen put on my car as part of the spec. The windscreen more than anything make a real difference was quite surprised! I am not a lover of window tinting but tastes vary........I have white upholstery and already after a couple of thousand miles the drivers seat is already being affected by dye from clothes, no jeans. Have found it difficult to remove and would appreciate advice on how to remove and then protect?
I would call Leatherique - it's a tiny company and the guy that owns it knows everything about leather. Tell them your problems and they'll point you in the right direction. As for on-going protection, I perform the deep cleaning linked to in my previous post and I keep the leather protected (as well as all dash components) with 303 aerospace protectant. Have done this on the past 6 BMWs I've owned.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts